GOTY is an indie

>GOTY is an indie
Is this a first?

Attached: celeste.png (1920x1080, 1.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qMh4i8imFII
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no because hollow knight exists

>what is minecraft

A game published by Microsoft

Minecraft didn't really have a single release year though.
It's the GOAT indie but was never GOTY.

>Sup Forums makes it a meme
>think it will be just okay
>play it
>its actually really really good
I'm fucking ready to be so mad, so broken. Platformers are amazing games.

>its actually really really good
yep

Attached: 1518593437719.jpg (240x240, 13K)

cave story came out like 10 years ago

Attached: cavestory92834.jpg (250x199, 8K)

It’s a shite tumblr platformer that only got good reviews because of muh mental health issues

meme game and not GOTY of 2004

You haven't played it.

your mom is a meme game

It's okay. Couldn't be bothered to finish it. The hotel guy was funny

>not GOTY of 2004
idk who voted for it, but you are a dumb sheep if you anything beside your own opinion matters

You're all plebs

Attached: esa.jpg (480x360, 23K)

Just go look at 2004 releases, Cave Story is not GOTY.

How long do you guys think a game like this would have taken to make?
(just for one platform)

I have no idea how to make:
>code
>art
>sound

but I'm interested in working on small games during my spare time
the gameplay looks simple, but well polished

Attached: celeste.jpg (1200x675, 73K)

*A game so good microsoft had to buy it out
Get a better bait dawg

Yep, In playing it right now and it's very good. It's not even frustrating, just challenging.

>code
Get shitty gamemaker. Its scripting language is very simple.

uh no

Attached: 114735_bluebaby_super-meat-boy-comic-cover-2-5[1].jpg (1313x2000, 720K)

The gameplay and level design would take awhile to get right, Matt has a lot of platformer experience.
Making a game that is fun is hard.

I remember seeing it at PAX in 2016 and it was fairly well along, so i'd put it at a few years

SUB 33
youtube.com/watch?v=qMh4i8imFII

Attached: 1521192124347.png (991x1024, 1020K)

>this shit

Attached: output.webm (1280x720, 2.66M)

ok thanks, I'll check it out

I can afford to hire someone to help with the polish
but yeah I won't get my hopes up for my first few games of course

>I remember seeing it at PAX in 2016 and it was fairly well along, so i'd put it at a few years
damn that's a lot longer than I was expecting

I wonder how much of that was:
>making it work on 6 different platforms
>developing the story

yeah, there's a couple of tricks like this one, sick stuff. movement in this game is deceptively deep.

If you look at end credits there's good number of people involved. It wasn't just one dude.

>like cover
>check screenshots
>bloom and unrecognizable pixelmess
I can't wait for this fad to end.

good taste

I might have given it a try but the whole 8-bit cause it’s cool died off after the first 1,000 games on steam, I bought super meat boy and Fez and I’m not getting baited again, they’re just boring, you can say they’re challenging but there’s no consequences, it’s not really difficult

A lot of the time I see people praise games like this when it could’ve been avoided just buy playing some games

It happened just last year with Hollow Knight

I have this in my cart RIGHT NOW. Post a single lewd of this girl and I will buy it.

>If you look at end credits there's good number of people involved
yeah I did, that's why I mentioned the story as a potential reason it took so long

>5 Writing Assistants
>1 Script Editor
>4 Narrative Consultants

the vast majority of people involved with the game
were working on narrative, or audio

only 2 people involved were listed as coders / programmers
(not including porting to other platforms)
so I figure I'll just use fairly simple gameplay and minimalist art

nipple censored for all the youngins here

Attached: celeste34.jpg (1025x1280, 202K)

Sauce? and you got me downloading now. Seen a few reviews on this, how much time should I get from collectables?

top taste user

No that's almost every year for me. AAA games have long stopped pandering to me and are more interested in providing mindless entertainment for casuals. Still gotta play this, doubt it'll come anywhere close Dustforce tho, it perfected precision platforming.

it's just on Rule 34 under 'Celeste (Game)'
don't get your hopes up though, there are only 4 pics on there
you'd have better luck googling it

take a look at this this stuff is platforming bliss.

desu this just looks like They Bleed Pixels with nicer graphics and gamefeel. I'll play it still though.

>you can say they’re challenging but there’s no consequences, it’s not really difficult
It's a different kind of difficulty. There are two main ways to add difficulty. Either make segments more challenging by requiring more precise timing/more inputs/whatever, or make the segments longer. Super Meat Boy, this, IWBTG, etc are games that take it to one extreme (high segment difficulty, short segment length), while things like roguelikes/lites take it to the other end (low segment difficulty, long segment length). One makes you retry until you get it down to perfection, one forces you to be consistently decent and not fuck up massively. One is mostly stress-free, the other puts some stress on you because you stand to lose a lot of progress.

The biggest problem with these games imo is how much they sacrifice depth for the sake of that segmented execution based challenge. There are genres like racing where the viable paths are very limited, but they have way, way more mechanical depth. Umihara Kawase is the best of these styles of games because it has a ton of mechanical depth AND rather open levels in addition to being quite tough.