Whats your opinion on old games being remastered and resold?

Whats your opinion on old games being remastered and resold?
Saving digital artifacts and preserving them for the generations or recycling and lack of creativity? Likable nostalgia or corporate greed?

Give good and bad examples of it being done.

I think the Resident Evil remaster was a good one, since players who would've never played it otherwise got to see it, and as far as most people are concerned, this is the only way to play that game.
I think that the Skyrim remaster was bad, since it didn't do much as far as the game is concerned, and it limited the modding space by tying it up to Bethesda's new framework.

Attached: ubisoft.jpg (1920x1080, 302K)

Creatively bankrupt profiteering trying to trick people into thinking X is back.

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

Attached: beamniggers.png (661x245, 39K)

Spam is against the rules, my dude. Stop posting this in every thread its even vaguely relevant to.

There are mods out there that have been doing the same thing for years without introducing shitty oc or bugs. I guess some monkeys must be buying them in the hopes that if enough of them buy it there will be a sequel?

jesus christ, those quotes put everything that is shitty in the world in perspective.
i have avoided the beamdog remakes, believing them to be harmless, but that shit is just... wow, fuck everything about that

Attached: 1246203249942.jpg (149x178, 7K)

>against the rules
imagine living life as a faggot tho i guess you don't have to

I think remasters of old fan favorite shit is fine, especially if it has an option for old graphics.
Almost every remaster that Squire Enix makes is pure absolute trash aside from FF10 and 12, even though some textures in 12 are insanely shit and its really overpriced and the models in 10 looked worse.

Skyrim Remastered was done fine. Free for everyone on pc who owned it. Rereleased on modern consoles with mod support. Supported x64 so it ran way better. Out of the box looks better then og Skyrim by far. The only shitty thing about Skyrim RE was it didnt support the old Skyrim script extender, but if it did it would have made skyrim that much better of a mod platform.

>There are mods out there that have been doing the same thing for years without introducing shitty oc or bugs.

In the case of what game? Since apparently this thread will be another circlejerk pissfest on Beamdog, they stuff they added to NWN are not available via mods. They updated the modding kit, fixed the game going to quadruple digit frames per second on some video cards, making it suicidal to run on them, and "scaled up the UI" (meaning literally resized the pictures, which looks bad, but at least you can see it at a high resolution). Mods didn't do these.

Attached: Ubisoft.jpg (1435x1019, 612K)

They took lower quality map sprites and threw them on battlefield, which uses different, better ones. It's a scam.

I was refering to this comparison:

Its not a scam, its just confusing. They took old map sprites, and compared them to new map sprites. Its not a false comparison, they never state those are combat sprites.

Wow did they actually compare the HD battle sprites to the old world map sprites?

I was excited when I first heard the HD edition was a thing but glad I didn't fall into the trap.

see Both rows on the promo are overworld sprites. It doesn't say anywhere they are combat phase sprites, people just assumed that.

Archangel is so badass.

sorry bucko, intentionally misleading marketing material is a scam
any idiot can tell they were implying they were the combat sprites. they're on the combat background. and they blew up the old sprites to sizes you will never ever see them at.

it's disgusting and was clearly a sign of what's to come because the remaster was shit.

I am not saying it wasn't intentional, it certainly was. I am saying it isn't a scam, since its not technically false. What they show is in fact true, its just confusing. They are within the legal ruleset and aren't lying.

user get that dick out of your mouth

Oh, so they used the different poses and placed them on actual battle backdrops. Sneaky buggers

literally just buy the GOG version for 3 usd

It doesn't work well on modern resolutions.
The mod to fix that makes everything tiny.

Ubisoft's HD version isn't good either, not least of all because it lacks expansion content, mind. I wish we had either a good rerelease, or a good mod.

This. Older generation would still play the games with as much as love as they used to. Newer generation doesn't give a fuck. What's their target audience?

>Older generation would still play the games with as much as love as they used to.
Not if its very hard or impossible to run them on modern hardware, operating systems and resolutions.

>Newer generation doesn't give a fuck.
But they seem to do, a lot of people played the remakes of Baldur's Gate that hadn't played before, as per their reviews. Same for Resident Evil.

I am fine with gog versions so it's playable on modern systems or versions that enhance the game a bit in terms or resolution and graphics, but it's the shit in which I don't really like. If you want to make your non-problematic game then make your own from scratch, the content doesn't even matter tbqh, it could be cool as fuck content and it's stil an insult to add something to a game that is beloved by so many people, it's like some faggot modern artists adding unnecessary crap to a classic paint, it's disrespectful and wrong

Archadgel

I think you are grossly exaggerating that Sargon of Akkad youtube skeptic drama. How many "problematic" changes are there really? 99% of people look at this image and say "oh they changed the art style, i like/dont like it". And then you have your crew look at it and immediately think of SJWs, trannies, feminists, problem glasses, etc. The imagined enemy you are fighting is nobody, nothing, doesnn't matter. Its stupid people doing stupid things on a small corner of the internet.
And before you bring up the stupid thing (transgendered woes in a setting with literal polymorph scrolls) that one stupid person did, she literally got fired for it, and it was 50 words of dialogue in a game with 150k+ words of dialogue.

You are over blowing this HARD in every thread. Some dev drops generic marketing so they can secure another thousand sales from idiot hipsters, and you get triggered hard, despite the near zero influence on the development. It also overshadows actual bad practices that actually matter, like forcing the original out of the market to avoid competition.

I can't tell if you are a useful idiot or a regular idiot, but please reconsider your internet activism.

Attached: nwn.png (810x496, 406K)

>Sup Forums: the post
For someone who used literal/literally twice in one sentence you sure do accuse a lot of other people of stupidity.

>it's a retard with a stick up his ass starts arguing the legal technicalities of a word when that word was clearly used in the colloquial sense episode

>Not if its very hard or impossible to run them on modern hardware, operating systems and resolutions.

Dude everyone who gives a shit about older games either is willing and capable of setting this shit up or has VM or a computer with WinXP to play them.

>Not if its very hard or impossible to run them on modern hardware, operating systems and resolutions.
The solution is in your half-assed response. I have a Thinkpad, run linux, and play old games problem-free because that's where my video game interests lie. I don't try to use the wrong tool (gayming rig) for the task.
>But they seem to do, a lot of people played the remakes of Baldur's Gate that hadn't played before, as per their reviews. Same for Resident Evil.
There's a difference between people who play games and people who consume them.

Change your monitor resolution. Case closed

>i misused a word, but am too insecure to admit it

>i don't like your prose
Not an argument.

>pic
Wtf, is this real? Beamdog better not fuck up Aribeth like this if they want to live

>Not an argument.
It wasn't intended to be. You'd have recognised that if you could think critically or understood the meanings of the words you use. Now samefag some more and call me a ledditor.
>Memedog better not fuck up
Buddy...

Attached: homm3.gif (632x376, 3.94M)

Oh, if it wasn't an argument I guess you have none and admit you are mistaken.

>she literally got fired for it

Attached: 233.jpg (1024x1024, 141K)

I've got no interest in any sort of remaster or remake. If the original game was good then I'd rather just play the original game. If it was shit, then why is it being remade?
I don't think you can recapture the magic of the original dev team and the circumstances involved in their creation of the original product, and if something is hailed as a classic then it should be experienced in it's original form if at all. Too often things are changed that affect the tone of the game in a remaster, even in what would largely be considered a good remaster it's so easy for small changes like color pallet or lack of fog to cover poor draw distance to make a large change in the effect of a given scene.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 36K)

Mistaken about what? I never put forward an argument. Quote my first post and I'll tell you why you don't know how to read.

it triggers me that they put an unupgraded Hydra there

I’m okay with the dlc expanding the characters, but do you have actual proof that dialogue in the original baldur’s gate was rewritten?

Its only a good thing. If the remaster is bad then people will say so under the reviews.

Games like Age of Empires 2 HD wouldn't have 7-10k concurrent players if the remaster didn't exist. Its also pretty nice to play the games in HD.