Bash + Windows = The end of *nix?

Seeing as bash is now running natively on Windows. Aside from servers, why would anybody ever run anything other than Windows on their PC? This will take a chunk out of the Mac "developer" following too. As bash is very very powerful developer tool that was exclusive to *nix OSs. What does Sup Forums think? is this the total death of *nix on the desktop?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2007/05/microsoft-235-patent-specific-patent-infringements-in-linux/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_litigation
twitter.com/AnonBabble

5 Rs have been transferred into your account

Interested in you argument desu.

nah

everything will remain pretty much as it was, maybe normies will stop being terrified of terminals, but most using osx or linux will probably continue to do so

Still missing device-as-a-file concept.
Try again next year.

Using Linux as desktop is a meme. Used it from 2005 to 2010, never again. Used OS X a couple of years, it was ok.

>Still missing device-as-a-file concept.
>Try again next year.
/thread
(And there's a whole slew of other issues with wangblows too, viruses anyone?)

>bash is very very powerful

here, have some rupees

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Viruses are a PICNIC error

Why would someone willingly allow malware to run on their machines?

Sounds more like the end of sanity for windows users, not the end of *nix.

The "modern" UNIX development environment is terrible. It's impure and disrespectful to its own founding concepts, and its own founding concepts are so dated that original bell labs employees collectively agree that it's all shit. Yes, even vi/vim, the short throw shifter of text editors. Combine that with an OS it doesn't even integrate with, and it's absolutely worthless. It has some merit on linux and BSD, infinite merit on plan 9, but without OS integration behind it, it has none. If you use windows, you should use powershell.

Now, the GNU version of it? Double terrible.

>Using Linux as desktop is a meme.
Using OS X as a (unix) desktop is worse.
Every single part of the typical unix userland is either ancient (mid 00s if you're lucky, usually mid to late 90s), just incompatible enough to not "just work" with anything but other OS X boxes, or both. I was forced to used that crap for over 4 years (macfag company), never again.
Want some tool not included? No problemo, just fire up macports and compile for 9 hours because it has to build everything except for the kernel on a thermal-throttled CPU.
Windows is no alternative because it phones home more than a depressed teenager in it's first week in university.
BSDs are ok in theory, but software availability outside of the "runs on any *nix" category is bad.
Linux, as many problems as it may have, is the only sane choice left. It's not a good choice, but the least shit one.

this desu senpai

95% of the "advantages" freetards tout about loonix and *nix in general are actually limitations of the system that were never addressed as technology advanced.

Does anyone unironically think a system designer would willingly trying to make a universally accessible system would turn ever system command into "lol so epik xD" recursive acronym in-jokes mixed in with full word commands, randomly shortened words, and portmanteaus? Or is it more likely because of the 14 character limit?

The *nix world has their head so far up their ass they can't even see how much of a kludge it's become. Powershell is literally what CLI should be, created by a UNIX veteran who saw the shitshow it's become and decided to make something better.

And it's the greatest of ironies coming from MS which built its empire on never breaking/removing old features and backwards compatibility.

Maybe linux, but this will effect apple users.

>maybe normies will stop being terrified of terminals
Maybe weeb faggots will install a real OS and get some work done.

UNIX shell users don't even use one language, they use several different regex syntaxes and languages all glued together with one really shitty language

>"do one thing and do it well."
>ed sed grep head tail cut tr
>"no, that doesn't exclude doing one thing over and over"
>awk
>"fuck"

>"ancient"

oh no your copy-pasted .vimrc and .emacs dun work :^(
oh no your bashism linux scripts break

Doesn't affect people who do real work using good text editors. POSIX software doesn't change, kid. It's your fault for relying on nonstandard linuxshit spinoffs of old programs for fucking ever.

>blurry picture for linux
>linux misspelled

way to make whatever point you might be trying to make meaningless

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Thanks for listening.

Remember the times when WINE killed Windows?

>Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever
>without any GNU software whatsoever
HOLY SHIT
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!
FAT-MAN FAGGOTS/CULTIST (OR FAGGOTS+CULTIST) WILL DEFEND THIS ABSURDITY

>Linux alone is an operating system
>Linux alone is an operating system
STAND ASIDE FAGGOTS, ITS TIME TO MAKE LINUX GREAT AGAIN

don't use it, so I couldn't care less

here's your (You)

On *nix, to replace file content
sed -i 's/ugly/beautiful/g' file.txt

On PowerShell, to replace file content
(Get-Content file.txt).replace('ugly', 'beautiful') | Set-Content file.txt

Seriously, do you expect sysadmin to type all that shit. Not to mention code above will ruin *nix newline (will convert CR to CRLF).

Apple would start shipping their shiny thinbooks with Windows?

>why would anybody ever run anything other than Windows on their PC?
Because Windows is proprietary malware.

Powershell is way more understandable. I'd go for that, as it helps me understand easier what I'm doing, and what other people are doing.

>*nix command
>complete gibberish to anyone new to *nix
>complete gibberish even to *nix admins if they don't use it often
>open up someone else's script
>have no fucking idea what the fuck it does
>have to break out the rosetta stone and sit there for an hour decoding it before you can edit it

>PS command
>clean readable english
>even someone that's never seen PS before can understand what's happening
>open script, can understand what it does and make changes easily and quickly

I don't know, for me shell is something you type just to do some quick and dirty things.
If i want a script, i'll go for python.

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2007/05/microsoft-235-patent-specific-patent-infringements-in-linux/

Seeing as microshit doesn't know the difference between stealing Microsoft and using somethign that isn't microsoft, why would anybody ever buy Windows for their PC?

Why would Apple downgrade their software to something that requires more resources?

>something that requires more resources?

>than osx

nice meme

And this rampand and cowardly faggotry, ladies and mentlegen, this desperate need to stay a manchild and be spoonfed and cuddled every way forward, is why Lisp isn't mainstream.

If the examples were reversed you'd be eating up PS. Stay cucked and "free". :^)

Is bash actually running on Windows yet?
Last time i tried to find it on my windos vm, there was nothing like bash in windows repo.
It was suposed to be in store, right?

Paddle + Car = The end of boats ?

Seing as this new model of car can have a paddle used from the window, why would anybody ever use a boat again ?

Latest fast track only. Won't be public release until summer.

You only show the linux shell options up through dm*, though the powershell is up to N*.

Obvious lack of option in powershell, winfag...

Amphibious cars, fuck yeah

it's not just bash, it's a whole ubuntu system in windows

>nonstandard linuxshit spinoffs of old programs
no. ldap and nfs, recent ciphers for ssh, vpn, that kind of stuff
>Doesn't affect people who do real work using good text editors.
If all you do is edit text files, I can see how you didn't run into problems using OS X (or *BSD, or even Windows/cygwin).

>uh oh, things i dont understand
>must be for super sekrit club reasons

nice post

>i'm a clueless retard and like to inject my opinion where it doesn't belong

Here's what you do, alright:
First you install Linux.
Then you install windows and osx in a kernel virtual machine.

Why are os wars a thing when you can simply use them all?

Sorry, I passed my IQ test and haven't used Windows for years...

Windows but even messier! Great

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Because some people blindly believe that their favorite brand is better, and that creates dissonance when businesses do stupid shit. Because who needs to use Bash when you can use Bash after paying $200 for the right to do so?

What does your IQ have to do with anything, smugshit?
When someone takes the time to type out an ellipsis on Sup Forums you know they're defensive.

not being able to execute .exe, discarded

So you're too dumb for Windows?

>Add-DtcClusterTMMapping
>PS command
>clean readable english
is this the Sup Forums-humor thread?

>bash on windows
Not all command works.

>PowerShell
Half-ass shell, half-ass script language.

>The end of *nix
NOPE.

:^)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_litigation
Every "Windows 10 has bash now thread" basically:
>Man, shitty other people could do all this stuff before for free
>Now windows can too, for the low price of $120!
And this company randomly accuses other entities violating their patents without naming any, and of course, without having any legal action because they could not possibly win in court.

Do you somehow believe that the PC incompetent retards all fucked off to use Linux? Two minutes ago you were bitching because of bash.

Quick question: Rather than arguing about whether or not Windows is better than Linux at something, can someone explain why it's a bad idea to pirate Windows? Do people who prefer to use Windows have some kind of argument as to why Microsoft deserves their money?

Is that the best you can do? I have used:
CP/M
Apple DOS
MS-DOS
Win 3.0, 3.1 -> 10 (not my choice)
Amiga DOS
Linux: Yggdrasil, LFS, Corel, Slackware, SuSE, RedHat/CentOS (current work development platforms), Gentoo (current on home servers )

(Google the distros you don't recognize)

I dare say that using Windows was the worst experience yet. My company (which *only* builds for RHEL/CentOS) was once commissioned to build a Win version of its software, and said 'Never again'. (Win realtime performance is abominable for the applications)

So, speaking from an IQ of 160, what's your defense besides half-assed, insulting replies?

>using the smiley with a carat nose

k

>taking time to edit out the (You)

Dipshit.

You can't fail an IQ test.

Wine + *nix = The End of Windows?

Seeing as Wine is now capable of running Windows applications natively on *nix. Aside from some specific workstations, why would anyone ever run anything other than *nix on their PC? This will take a chunk out of the Windows "gamer" following too. As a lot of Windows applications are very very powerful tools that was exclusive to Windows. What does Sup Forums think? Is this the total death of Windows on the desktop?

They'd end up having to read the documentation to get the correct commands on Windows too, as well as understanding their syntax. There is very little difference.

PS is also not "clean readable English". If you've seen any sort of complex PS script then you'll also know it is often not readable or intuitive.

Blown

nice thread OP

just kidding, you're retarded

if this isn't bait, you should kill yourself

>bash is powerful
>bash on windows will harm linux in any way

what are you even doing

>The end of *nix
No!

Windows loves Linux!

God damn, you stupid autists. This is going to help Linux, which is a good thing.

kek
/thread

It's the same reason why the verbosity in Java or C# is not actually a bad thing.

When you have more than one person who needs to read and understand a piece of code, verbosity helps. This is in contrast to 'default, hidden' behaviors that are not always intuitive.

At least C# allows you go to very concise now if you prefer with some of the newer features of the language.

>Wine
WINDOWS IS FINISHED

>video games
>work

And yet, somehow, you managed it. I don't know whether to give you a trophy or slap you.

Is this a new canelone?

poo in the loo enjoy gnu

Why are winfags so salty about gnu/linux?

Fuck off.

I don't come to Sup Forumseddit to complain about windows all day long.

UNIX was designed for teletype-based computers. It's deprecated.