Help

I remember some old pic someone posted on here, it was a post about how Americans are obsessed with the idea of "coding" and being "coders". It talked about how in other countries they fucking hate coding, but do great things anyway. It also said something along the lines of "just think of something you want to build, find the best language or API to do it, and build it" loose quote. I had it saved on my old phone but don't have it anymore. Any of you bros know the pic, or have it?

What's the difference between coding and programming?

Is it this?

+1

cd
cd
cd
cd..
cd
cd

Programming is what IT professionals do, coding is what politicians suggest children do, in order to project a sense of technological awareness to the average mouth-breathing moron.

Wow thank you so fucking much!!!

That is a good read.

>The problem with programming is that there is nothing to learn
wtf am I reading

I don't know about anyone else, but as for myself...
I like programming, digital art, 3D animation, and other computational shit for the simple fact that it is essentially free.

I love building, creating... But materials are not cheap. I would much rather create something real, but with programming I can attempt whatever I can imagine.

Always leaves me feeling empty and with no satisfaction. What is the point of doing anything? It is all meaningless.

Why do you think it leaves you feeling empty? I'm the same way man. Like I just love building shit. Computers let you do that for free. You can build whatever the fuck you want, only limited by the resource of time (and maybe computer power)

KEK

When a massive project looms over your head it's hard to stay motivate and do it "just because it's possible"
Nihilism is so much fun.

It's a relatively simple skill that relies on knowing how to apply patterns (need something to repeat? use a loop. need something to run only in some cases? if statement, etc) but some people, namely SV megalomaniacs, politicians who think it's the silver bullet to economic problems, and people who suck at everything but want an "easy" career, have hyped it up to be an arcane craft that requires a vast body of background knowledge and demands a lot of respect.

I guess because I haven't created anything tangible. I've had HDDs crash and all my work is gone but I don't even care because what was it anyway? Spend time painstakingly programming materials and such for a long render then yay I've got a picture I look at it think that's cool I guess then just file it away for no purpose.

I took a ceramics class in college, one of the most fun things I've ever done. Made awesome sculptures, made bowls that I still use all the time.. There's just something about having a useful, physical item for your work.

That's probably another thing, none of what I've done on the computer serves any real purpose, it's all aimless, done simply for the sake of doing it.

Of course I sort of get the feeling that I'm suffering from severe depression so my line of thinking may be biased.

>requires a vast body of background knowledge and demands a lot of respect.

Coding/programming at it's simplest doesn't require any such thing, but designing a program can, depending on the domain. I've done a fair bit of scientific programming, models and the like, and it does require a vast amount of background knowledge, however that consists largely of math and physics, designing the model, the various algorithms and such to make it work/computationally feasible, that sort of thing. Ultimately it all can be broken down into loops and branch statements and the like, but it's not exactly trivial to break a problem down into such basic components.

>five paragraph shitpost

Someone needs to get a fucking life.

But that's the point, coding was the easy part of that project (or at least it would be, for most). Creating the model and algorithms would be the part that requires actual thinking. And many types of programming require only very simple models and algorithms.

+ "hunger societies" where people code not because they like it but because it is paid much better than alternative activities. e.g. India.

>coding and programming?
coding = /wdg/+/dpt/
programming = SICP

And yet Japan is in a recession while America maintains small steady growth

>protestant work ethic

This guy nailed it. Just an example: I've seen actual software companies use the slogan 'work hard, party harder'.

>Always leaves me feeling empty and with no satisfaction. What is the point of doing anything? It is all meaningless.

You should try electronics, its a mix between software and hardware