/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/headsets/pp_270782.html
innerfidelity.com/images/SuperluxHD681.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/TeacCTH02.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can we remove "Wireless is frowned upon" and "Headset requests are frowned upon"?

It just sounds elitist and doesn't convey why those things are considered bad. It's obvious by this point that there are plenty of people who don't read the pastebin, but at least it's useful enough to include in the OP. All those other things do is incite shitposting and ignorance when gamers come in asking for headsets and don't understand why they're generally considered bad.

>It just sounds elitist
What would you suggest to replace it with to warn posters that asking for advice in regards to them is likely to result in negative responses? Because that is what is going to happen unless they are lucky enough to be ignored.

Or are you suggesting to not even provide a warning and let them just be blindsided?

I don't think anybody reads the wiki or it would probably get linked more often when someone asks those kinds of questions. I think other generals and boards get it right when they put a few images in the first few replies so that newcomers will read it. Or we can link the wiki because it's already completed. Either way is better than having the same shitfights over the same information and requests literally every thread.

You are suggesting to leave no warning and just let them be blind-sided. No thanks. I'd at least do them the courtesy to provide some notice even if it might hurt their feelings because it sounds elitist.

Not at all. The reason this general is shit on by the rest of the board is because of the blindsides. People come here just not knowing what good audio sounds like, and instead of helping the autists shit all over them for not knowing every little thing about something they've never encountered.

It's clear we need to change the way the information is presented, or the problem wouldn't still exist.

Agreed, i've suggested that to vê chances before, it gives the impression /hpg/ os full ir elitist assholes, the response i got was someone being an asshole about it and saying that "it's the only way to keep plebs from starting arguments since they don't read the wiki".
For real, a simple "why se don't recommend wireless/headsets: link-to-pastebin" should be enough

No. I am suggesting the exact opposite. That we stop treating newcomers to the hobby like parasites.

>instead of helping the autists shit all over them for not knowing every little thing about something they've never encountered.
So the problem is not with what is in the OP or what the words in the OP sound like but with how user post in /hpg/?

>"why se don't recommend wireless/headsets: link-to-pastebin"
This.

We were civil enough with the belgian shitposter vendetta, so we can certainly do this much without it destroying the threads.

I'm sure you've seen yourself over the last few threads how many arguments end in accusations of autism and "CITATION NEEDED" by a few dedicated shitposters. It's clear that there are at least a few people who are guilty of these kinds of practices.

All we have to do to curb instances of this kind of thing happening is to link to the wiki, and update the infographics.

>"CITATION NEEDED"
You say this like asking for an authoritative citation is a bad thing.

>All we have to do to curb instances of this kind of thing happening
You honestly expect changing the OP is going to change the behavior of the regular posters of /hpg/?

>You say this like asking for an authoritative citation is a bad thing.
No. The inference was that you should ignore shitposters instead of engaging with them.

>You honestly expect changing the OP is going to change the behavior of the regular posters of /hpg/?
It can only help. The more we can do to improve the threads the less time that is spent berrating each other over minute details.

>The inference was that you should ignore shitposters instead of engaging with them.
Perhaps I misunderstood but did you not equated "citation needed" with shitposting?

>It can only help.
It can and will do nothing. Wow. You really do believe changing the OP will change the behavior or the regular posters. That is a retarded belief. A seriously retarded belief. The regular posters read the OP even less than people coming here seeking advice and answers.

So i upgraded to Beyer DT 250s from M50X. Is it me or does it feel kinda cheap for such expensive headphones.

>Is it me or does it feel kinda cheap for such expensive headphones.
Price is no indicator of the quality of the headphones. I wouldn't be surprised if it does feel cheap.

They're both mostly plastic so I'm not sure what the real difference is in terms of build quality. Unless they squeak audibly like some wing or suspension headband designs they're probably better than a lot of headphones.

>It's retarded to believe that not engaging with shitposters makes every thread better.
Okay.

You really do not see how foolish it is to believe something that is ignored by the regular posters is going to "engage" the regular posters in any way.

There's nothing wrong with wireless headphones.

Except they cost extra, require power, add complexity, have more stuff to break requiring a loss of use if not added expense to repair/replace, function on proprietary standards, compress sound which results in a degrade in sound quality. At best you will end up with sound quality that is almost as good as regular headphones.

I'm not sure if I'm being picky or something but i feel like they don't match the price tag. They're really light ,comfy and sound great so far though.

>Except they cost extra, require power
Well no shit, they are fucking wireless, but my Sony bluetooth headset last like a fucking month on a single charge, 2 weeks if I use it more.
You said only cons, but the PROs are fucking fantastic confort, mobility and even being able to answer calls from them. You don't have problems when riding a bike or running with them.
Only people who sit their asses on their home would like non-wireless headphones more.

If you didn't care for the sound. Why not just grab the whatever wireless headphone that you want? It won't make difference between cheap and expensive headphone if the most important element of headphone(sound) is always gonna be sacrificed.

>Budget
like, around 20$
>Location
Ukraine.
>Source
PC, no external sound card
>Preferred type of headphone
Either open, or closed, doesnt really matter
>Comfort level
Doesnt matter
>Preferred music
post-grunge, indie rock
>Past headphones
none
pls help me im poor and i need some headphones for small amount of money [spoiler]thats actually not that small amount here[/spoiler]

HD681 or Tascam TH-02 have good measurements for being cheap headphones
gearbest.com/headsets/pp_270782.html

innerfidelity.com/images/SuperluxHD681.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/TeacCTH02.pdf

Generally like idea of HD681, but no Tascam in my region, something else ? Thank you kindl

hook me hupugee

>under $100
>US
>full sized
>Open but I don't want it to leak so much sound that it'll be heard across the entire room
>high comfort long wear 3+ hours
>mostly for gaming and media
>all rounder for music

>fucking fantastic confort
Any good wired headphone gives you the same.

>mobility and even being able to answer calls from them
If you don't mind compromising sound quality get a wireless adapter and you get those benefits _and_ the option to be uncompromising on sound quality.

>You said only cons
Perhaps because it was in response to someone stating something similar to there are no cons? What was it again?
>There's nothing wrong with wireless headphones.
>nothing wrong

>Budget
Unlimited
>Location
Aus
>Source
Phone
In ear, or closed.
>Comfort level
Comfy, but not bulky. Need it for gym and running.
>Preferred music
Classic rock, pop, electro.
>Past headphones
Bose™ TrueSound™ Ultra in-ear, original Bose Truesound in-ear, Sony MDR-Z7

>Budget: $60
>Location: U.S
>Source: Iphone/PC
>Preferred type of headphone: Full
>Open or closed: Closed
>Comfort level: med
>Preferred music: metalcore

HD558

JH13Pro FreqPhase

Sony 7506 or CAL

noice

Are CAL good? I am the guy from the last thread with the budget under 50$, I heard a lot of bad opinions about them, some people were saying that after they got popular the sound quality got way worse.

>Are CAL good?
or are you asking WERE CAL good? It's hard to say if any changes in the last batch or so affected the sound quality without using the newer ones. The one I had a couple years back was good. If you got one tomorrow would it be the same? I'd expect so but I cannot guarantee that there hasn't been a change with low budget cans.

Is the MSR7 actually a barely noticeable increase over the M50?

I am looking for a replacement with a similar spirit to the M50, but with a decent increase in sound quality.

Yeah, I know they were good, but some people here and on headphone forums say, that if you buy them you have to go for used ones, as the new batches got to shit after they got very popular.

>Budget 100 usd but prefer below that
>Location usa
>Source phone mostly
>Preferred type of headphone over ear
>Open or closed no preferance
>Comfort level comfy as fuck
>Preferred tonal balance no preferance
>Preferred music classic rock, metal, and big band jazz

How much it will trigger autists on head-fi?

See and its response.

Try taking a picture without the flash.

There is a Coloud brand, and... umh... is it any good?

How about taking

1 - Without flash
2 - Good lighting
3 - Fucking further away

Similar how? Same bass? Better trelbe? More midrange? Similar could mean anything.

You'll trigger more people at /p/ with that shitty picture.

now buy a tube amp so you can trigger autists in /hpg/

> tubes

success

Talk about low hanging fruit

the file name should do it

in fact pretty much any subjectivity existing anywhere triggers them

Please forgive me for knowing very little about headphones. Here's my criteria.

50 dollars or less
Closed
Med to high comfort
Current headphones are Turtle beach z22.
I'd like headphones that have some form of volume control on them. This is going to be used for gaming on PC.

there is nothing more autistic than listening to your amp

there's you though.

Hey lads just wanted to post that my rha ma750 that some user recommended came this morning and I have to say they are much much better than my skullcandy 50/50

So i decided to get myself a decent pair of cans, and ended up getting the DT770's 80 ohm version,i'm pretty satisfied with my buy.
But it lacks a bit drive, what portable amp should i get for this pair of cans?
I've been looking at the Fiio e11k, any opinions, or should i stick with that e11k?

I don't use a dedicated amp/DAC with mine either and they sound fantastic, but from my smartphone it sounds like shit, so I might actually get something for when I'm away from the computer.

ath-m40x are on sale for 114 cad, should i cop?

True. They are too much for smartphone not to say about abomination 6.3->3.5 jack adapter, but autism that head-fi spreading about they will not work without at least 1k amp is bullshit.

Sorry user, I am feeling too lazy to fiddle with DSRL right now. Will this work?

HOLY KEK

Mother of keks

I just bought them today, coming from the M50.

They are noticeably better than the M50, much more detailed everywhere, and without the emphasised bass covering everything.

The reviews about the harsher mid-highs are exaggerated in my opinion. They're certainly heightened but not to the point where it results in the headphones being far from neutral. They're a lot more pleasant to listen to than the M70 for me too.

I don't know what you're really looking for though.

top lel, also checked

I am using this EQ with them. Working like a charm.

> harsh mid-highs
Don't take reviews/people that say these things too seriously. 90% of potential headphone buyers either look for a dark sound signature or a warm/veiled sound, which is the reason why HD650 and HD600 became so popular.

I think this would work.

For best results put them in a front panel connected passive usb hub to a usb-3.5mm with a 3.5-6.3mm in that.

Kek.
I'm doing subtractive EQ with settings like pic related but less 6k+ attenuation since mine have the SD mod.

I am joking user. I am not using EQ with them. They sound fine without tuning (even through integrated MB DAC with 40-75% volume as higher it is too much for my ears)ю

I'm looking at measurements of several well known iems and i've noticed a pattern. For example this is the RHA T20's frequency response.

Why is there such a huge peak at 5k and a sudden drop off? Am i reading this graph wrong?

I figured, that's why the kek. I don't think they really 'need' EQ either, especially after the mod, but it doesn't hurt to try and get that frequency response flattened out for the fun of it. The dip between 1~4k is a tad much for my liking, and I figure it's a good idea to boost it if nothing else.

I'm just looking for a solid, all-around headphone like the M50 has been for the last 4-5 years. Comfort is a possible issue I've been hearing can be a problem with the MSR7, on top of the head specifically. I've never had memorable problems with my M50, and I'd like to keep it that way with future headphones.

Top of the head seems accurate, but they happen to be a perfect fit for me.

I wouldn't recommend if you have a large head at all, they clamp hard too.

>I wouldn't recommend if you have a large head at all, they clamp hard too.
Right, I think I have an average-size head. I'll try to get them on my head somewhere if possible. Thanks for your help.

Here I took this for you to compare vs the m50

They're actually fairly similar if you imagine where they'd both sit on your head.

You're welcome.

Ah that's great thanks. They look a lot wider across the top. I saw a review where the guy was basically folding them in half to get a tighter bend.

Sup Forums I realised when I turn my interface (ur22mkii) down my k712 are more detailed than when it's louder. Does this mean I need a headphone amp?

Hey /hpg/, massive pleb here

I have been using an old pair of Sony MDR-XD200s, got them at least 6 years ago.

I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, as well as get a decent pair of earbuds for travelling.

What do you guys recommend? Here is my filled-out template from the OP:

>Budget
< $150 for cans, < $30 for earbuds, both are hard limits
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop computer and phone
Full sized for headphones, don't know much about earbuds
>Open or closed
Fine with either. I feel that I would prefer open a little more, but I don't really know.
>Comfort level
Very comfortable. I want a very comfortable pair of headphones and earbuds, even if sound quality suffers a little.
>Preferred tonal balance
Don't know much about this
>Preferred music
dadrock, synthpop, eurobeat, techno
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-XD200

Where are you getting the measurements? What are you looking for? The spike at 5khz is only 3db or so, I'd be more worried about 2k-3k.

>Am i reading this graph wrong?
No, but-
>i've noticed a pattern.
>Why is there such a huge peak at 5k and a sudden drop off?
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you've looking at more than a few measurements by DIY(and Veritas) couplers. Those couplers have great difficulty in obtaining a response representative of the result in the ear.

The coupler has to present a proper load impedance to the earphone. Not too difficult to get in a reasonable range for headphones, but this requires a much more intricate set up for measuring earphones.

Sennheiser hd598

Alright so I recently snagged Sony MDRZ7's for $210.

What's a good AMP/DAC to pair with it? They're 70Ω/1khz

I live in the USA.

Something no more than $150 please if possible.

Looks good, thanks for the suggestion

What about earbuds?

Anyone have other suggestions?

>Does this mean I need a headphone amp?
Usually.

Piston 3. Be wary of knockoffs. If you didn't have a hard limit I'd suggest the E10 which goes for $40.

>Budget
$100, flexible
>Location
United States
>Source
Desktop PC
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
7-ish hours of use at a time
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
QPAD QH-90s

thanks for helping out a total shitlord, g

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Yeah I'm just reading diy measurements from headfi. Must be the reason.

Those are sensitive as fuck so they won't need an amp. $150 gets you a schiit modi, but it depends on what device you're running them from because it also gets you the mobile dacmagic xs from cambridge audio.

Thanks. I've heard the k712 needs an amp, and the sensitivity seems to indicate as much, as well as the innerfidelity graph. I've just not had to use one before.

I'm hoping someone can help me identify these earbuds. I found them in a hallway a few years back and to be honest, it's one of the best pairs I've ever owned. The channel is deep and the audio is pure. (Yes I own a decent pair of over-ears, that's not the point) There aren't any makers' marks anywhere on or in them, so I know it's not probably some big name brand. I want to replace them with a newer model because one ear is broken. (The other one still sounds f-ing incredible)
I apologize for rambling a little.

TL,DR: anyone know what brand these are?

Sennheiser hd280 or Sony MDRv6

Give them back Jamal.

[spoiler]Memes aside good luck.[/spoiler]

As an aside, my over-ear headphones are Sony MDR-X05
I find them pretty comfy and they seem to have good audio.
How would you all rate them on a scale from: "sell those pieces of shit and buy X, to: pity the dead who can no longer enjoy such marvels"

>Those are sensitive as fuck so they won't need an amp. $150 gets you a schiit modi
you don't fucking run any transducer directly from a DAC

Do any of you guys get headphone fatigue extremely fast? When I chuck my headphones on for the first time of the day, music sounds fucking great and highly detailed... For about 10 minutes. Then it becomes a big muddy noisy muffled mess.

What headphones are you using? What is your source device? What kind of files are you playing? At what volume are you playing your headphones?

No, that doesn't happen to me, nor should it. I can listen to several albums in a row without getting fatigue, but if I use my cheap $50 in ears I get fatigue after 3-4 songs.

I don't even know why I said that. I need sleep.

Get the most neutral headphones you can for you bugdet
Never play anything loud

I seriously don't understand how can anyone listen to headphones on a fiio e10k on maximum volume, sometimes even with high gain