Anyone here use Bitwig...

Anyone here use Bitwig? I'm thinking about going over to Linux as my daily driver and wanted to see if anyone encountered any Linux issues or issues in general.

I'm coming from OS X and ableton and use almost everything that comes with Suite. Though I also have some D16 plugins.

Also any recommendations for Linux compatible audio interfaces? I was thinking about getting an RME Babyface but I heard Apogee's Duet also works surprisingly without any funny business.

Other urls found in this thread:

us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces
kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

Focusrite Scarlett is pretty decent and works perfectly on Linux.
us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces

I don't use bitwig, but few of my friends do and swear on it. Personally I stick with pure FOSS audio.

I think the biggest hurdle people have with Linux audio is jackd and just wrapping their head around it. Once you are comfortable, you will miss jackd on all other platforms.

My suggestion is using Debian or Ubuntu as the distro and using the KXStudio repos, they provide a good deal of uptodate FOSS plumbing, effects and plugins.
kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/
They have their own distro, but IMO it's just better to use their repo ontop of Debian or Ubuntu.

just stick on osx, dude... whatever your issue with it is, it can probably be solved by adding ram or getting a newer model

The most used, tested, feature filled, and quality approved software you'd want is:

Digital Audio Workstation: LMMS, Ardour, Rosegarden
Audio Editing: SoX, Audacity
Synthesizer: ZynAddSubFX, AlsaModularSynth
Software Sampler: Hydrogen, orDrumbox, LinuxSampler
DJing: Mixxx

LMS alone has more than Bitwig. But use what you want.

"if it has a problem, buy a whole new laptop!"

macfags

i can respect a Mac, the device itself, macbooks are sexy machines, the trashcan pro is my dream computer

but this "replace it" ideology needs to end

>"i want to replace my OS to one with terrible music support"
>"i want to continue using the same mac laptop while doing so"

cool story music-bro
go piss up a rope

Upset someone insulted your favorite brand?

I was thinking about running elementary OS which is derived from Ubuntu. Think that would fly?

I'm hesitant about LMMS because I'm so used to the ableton workflow and kind of don't want to full relearn a system but I guess that's ironic seeing as how I want to use Linux

i just switched to bitwig from fl studio and i like the layout a lot more. im still using the trial because i havnt been able to get the crack working for linux

If you make music, why would you go from OS X to Linux?

You're just setting yourself up for needless hardship

this

OSX is abandonware.

>You're just setting yourself up for needless hardship

I don't know the whole buying a $1k+ computer that has heating issues and can't have its parts replaced seems to be setting myself up for hardship.

Or you can fucking use it and see for yourself?

Why are you thinking of switching. I love ableton on my OS X.

Yea OS X is great for music but I don't really feel comfortable investing $1.3k on a laptop that won't even let me replace the battery. We'll see with the new Pro release this summer though.

Also OS X is becoming increasingly bloated and irritating to use. I'm just getting annoyed with Apple.

get a hackintosh

I don't get it.

Do you already have a Mac or not?
Are you looking to buy a new computer?
At least explain this shit in your OP.

Yea sorry. Like I said I'm coming from OS X. I have an Apple laptop.

I will be buying a new laptop soon. It will either be the new pro coming out or an XPS with Linux

If there's a chance you'll be doing anything live, linux would be a terrible choice.

Yea I was worried about that. The live component for me is the most crucial. Could you explain why? So long as I can use Bitwig's version of clip view I wasn't too worried.

It's a matter of cataclysm-preparedness. Musicians have been using Ableton on OSX for long enough that the various things that can go wrong live (and there are many) have been accounted for. Bitwig, as cool as it is, just doesn't have a large userbase who's been doing that yet.

Ah I see. Yea the userbase alone makes me hesitant. Anytime I want to fool around with a plugin or want to use a controller in a creative way someone has already laid out the groundwork for ableton.

It's a tough decision. I really want to resist apple and have a desire to experiment a little but being conservative has its benefits.

I might even consider running a full hardware setup revolving around Elektron gear but the ease of high quality production on a DAW makes me hesitant.

At the end of the day making art takes a leap of faith and every decision can radically alter the outcome of the art to come.

Thanks for everyone's help I'll just have to wait and see what the memebook pro will offer.

>jackd
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE