About to install Funtoo on my old desktop machine. Quad-core Xeon @ 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM. Any advice...

About to install Funtoo on my old desktop machine. Quad-core Xeon @ 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM. Any advice? Looks pretty easy from reading over the wiki on installation.

Yes, I have some advice: install gentoo.

I always thought Funtoo was just a fun way to refer to Gentoo

Why one over the other?

They are both very similar now that GNU + Gentoo utilizes Git as well.

Funtoo is the more preferred install in my book.
I am about to do the same for a core 2 quad q6700 @2.66 w/ 8Gb RAM.

Good luck.

>GNU + Gentoo
Gentoo

>utilizes
uses

Funtoo because it uses git and isn't a meme. Gentoo is migrating but Funtoo exists because the retards running Gentoo can't get anything done.

I run both and funtoo has issues. Ebuilds fail to "emake" on a regular basis when they work fine on Gentoo. Also, some packages are older on funtoo. I'd suggest sticking to Gentoo.

The differences in the tree do cause some QC issues, thats why I don't use the Funtoo portage tree anymore either.

dumb tripfag cancer

OP here. Now I'm worried. Fuck.

nice meme, faggot

>install gentoo

it never fails, friendo

People on here say all the time that Funtoo > Gentoo, so I thought I'd try it. Nobody ever actually provides reasons for anything, so what the fuck...

Funtoo on my HP elite book and an Alienware x51 and runs better tan Gentoo

they are close, but

funtoo = more liberal and new, prone to breaks but (used to be) quicker with updates

gentoo = older thus stable, but (used to be) slow af

I haven't used gentoo in a couple years, but when I did funtoo was quicker but less stable

They wait longer before updating certain things like glibc/gcc and they patch a few tools like portage with features a newbie wouldn't really need or care about.

Gentoo didn't used to have arch specific stage 3 files or all the features of Funtoo's portage.

if arch is the timesink distro, gentoo is the 'wait around to die' distro. do you really want to wait 4 hours to compile firefag?

Funtoo has older libs and toolchain specifically for stability soooo I don't think you know what the fuck you are talking about lol.

Gentoo has arch specific stage3 binaries to install with now too so the quicker install not having to rebuild @system isn't really beneficial anymore.

firefox-bin
There is (almost) never a reason to compile Firefox.

install windows windows 7 or ubuntu

fuck off with shit software

When they stopped supporting stage one tarball installation, they screwed the pooch. it was actually a much saner installation procedure; it was faster as well.