Can you even make anything practical with C and C++? What's the coolest program you've made with those languages?

Can you even make anything practical with C and C++? What's the coolest program you've made with those languages?

>Can you make anything practical

Uhhh just about every major project

Examples of modern uses?

The only relevent languages in manufacturing industry

C++ is about the most practical language i know. Last month I wrote a ray tracer and a path tracer in it, which was pretty fucking cool.

Can C++ make hair grow back?

whatever the fuck youre writing your stupid fucking twit brained post from, unless its android is almost top to bottom C/C++ (android is only 50%)

CHIP-8 emulator with games written in my interpretation of its assembly

I'd assume that it's possible to develop biological research projects using C++, so yes, C++ can make hair grow back.

You could do almost literally anything with it if you have enough time and CPU cycles.

im writing a shitty platformer game

He said modern

So, was that ray tracer born from the browser, hackable, and user experienced oriented?

What are you on about?

I'm writing a 2D CUDA physics engine.

Every major operating you've ever heard of and/or are using right now, every driver, every embedded firmware on the network cards, graphics cards and router you're using right now, every single system library and almost every single high-level language interpreter including Python, Lua, Ruby, Perl.

*Takes a breath*

Your web browser, the web browser engine, the graphics libraries used to render the web page, the HTTP, TLS & network libraries used to communicate with the internet, the internet routers your traffic is passing through, the firewalls, switches & routers in Sup Forums, the web server & the PHP interpreter that's rendering the content. The database. The filesystem.

Basically everything you're using to shitpost right now.

Your operating system, your web browser, 99% of AAA videogames, probably most of the software on your PC.

Javascript crowd everyone.

>Every major operating you've ever heard of and/or are using right now, every driver, every embedded firmware on the network cards, graphics cards and router you're using right now, every single system library
>what is assembly
there are even video games written exclusively in it so I imagine there's also a fair share of drivers, etc.

>*Takes a breath*
*unsheathes katana*

Rootkit for personal use/diagnostics. Also NIC driver and a driver for my mouse. IRC bot, keylogger for personal use, ssh kind of program, shutdown scheduler derp. Eh.

>
>>*Takes a breath*
>*unsheathes katana*
*unzips dick*

The vast majority of your operating system and drivers are not written in assembly. In fact most sensible developers go out of their way to avoid it.

Some of your firmware might be written in assembly, but that's becoming rare.

If by video games you mean the like of Roller Coaster Tycoon then sure, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

Nothing can. Sorry kiddo.

I don't use any of that.

>Can you even make anything practical with C and C++?

I think that's what they used to write Visual Basic.

>If by video games you mean the like of Roller Coaster Tycoon then sure, but that was nearly 30 years ago.
I heard all NES/SNES games were written in assembly

Which to learn first?

C or C++?

nice shoes tho

C
>

ASM

Vic 20 emulator

I use it to build huffman trees and other graphs, not sure which other langs make it feel so natural (what with pointers)

but not my meme editors familiy
>atom
wew

The languages themselves don't do a whole lot of modern by themselves. In order to get any real power out of the languages, you have to get a system framework, toolkit, or SDK and use that on top of the language.