1070 is a 7.5gb card NVIDIOTS BTFO AGAIN

I don't know what else to say

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ANE2verd1dk
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=8 gigabytes to gibibytes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kek

It's not 7.5, it's 4 + 3.5. Get it right.

Oh for fuck sake, a 1070 is a 1080 with imperfections and cutdown. Would you want 7.5 or 7? Having .5 less doesn't matter at 6+ yet either

>nvidiots
Pretty original.

Are you retarded? The 970 gimping was due to the fact the last 512mbs of vram were slower than the rest due to a missing L2.

Derogatory term that doesn't include fag... it's a Sup Forums miracle.

Oh kek
>pretty original

As original as Nvidia's false advertising

youtube.com/watch?v=ANE2verd1dk
Wew lad

deja vu

Wew, that's more than enough, I think I will go for that sweet 1070 anyway, thanks.

This.

Does not really fucking matter.

MULTI
GPU
CRIPPLING

I've just been in this place before!

Kekd

.5 matters much more at 3.5 gb than 7.5

HIGHER ON THE STREET

except it does, because you can only realistically make use of 3.5 of the 4GB

maybe it's in mebibytes

cool story bro

>7.5 dislikes
Nvidia fanbois are the best, amusement for every minute of the day. KEK.

>supporting Nvidia
>oh yeah, fuck me in the ass with shit tier hardware i pay overpriced prices for, nvidia, i love you, i'm just a fuckboi

That's how people hyped for Nvidia look like to normal people...

normal people buy Nvidia

Normal people are not brand idiots, normal people buy by price/performance ratio.

Normal people are completely turned off AMD. This is why Nvidia has such a large market share.

>large market share
OEM's son, not people, because grandma does not know better.

>babybytes

1070 has GDDR5
1080 has GDDR5X
The clock speeds alone between the two are enough to have a difference. The 1080 will have higher binning. I doubt you'll see very many, if any, 1070's reaching 2ghz. Unlike maxwell where a 970 was a 980 with the SM disabled, there are actual differences between the 1080 and 1070. To think nvidia would shaft people again after the backlash of the 970 would just be idiotic. All the 1070 has to do is beat AMDs offerings and it wins, as is, it will do that just fine.

normal people are idiots though,as you only think your getting a good deal based on price/performance when nvidia sets the bar and the pricing rules until the other guys comes to play.

This.
Windows displays "GB, MB," etc., but the number is actually GiB/MiB/etc.

>nvidia sets the bar
No way I'm a fanboy of Nvidia or AMD but for the last years AMD price/performance ratio has beaten Nvidia quite well.

>not even 8 Gibibyte

after AMD but their line out, before that nvidia was all over it ,what kind of company put's $1k GPU for gaming with no else around?

DING DING DING DING DING
someone who's not retarded

Apart from 3d mark uses normal megabytes on every other result and I very much doubt it's different just for that page

Learn how to sync audio you fat neckbeard. That was near unwatchable.

It doesn't say that in OP's image. If OP's image is the way it's being advertised, they're being misleading, which is a crime.

Besides, OP's pic says "MB", not "MiB".

>they're being misleading, which is a crime

8 GB is officially 8,000,000,000 bytes.

You don't have to like it but that's the way it is.

I meant that it did not matter the difference that there is from 7.5 to 8

i don't understand why they don't just make 8 gigs? same for the 970 why 3.5? why not i don't know make it a full 4 gigs and 8?
why would you do this again? are they that fucking lazy to finish the last 500 mb?

if it would be, why isn't it abbreviated as MiB like it should? (MB =/= MiB)

There is undeniably 4 GB of VRAM in the 970, and 8 GB of VRAM in the 1070.

512 MB of that VRAM is "disabled", and only slows down the card if the game accesses that 512 MB of disabled VRAM.

It makes it cheaper, they use a lesser 512 MB module to quite literally make it cheaper for you.

It's not disabled, the bandwidth is limited because of a disabled L2 module

pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

>disabled L2 module
That is indeed what I mean with "disabled".

see
It explains why they did what they did

Ok, I thought you meat the actual memory partition was disabled and not the cache

I figured they'd cut it to 7 tbqh

Some of the GPU RAM is reserved for the hardware like normal RAM.

I'm just going to wait for independent testers to verify the bandwidth is or isn't available to all segments of the frame buffer, because that will be one of the biggest questions when review samples go out

Then I'll make my decision

Oh thanks for the info.

Where is that even from? It's probably fake just for the joke

Leaked Firestrike benchmark

aside from being another dick move it actually wouldn't matter this time because there's hardly any game that even uses more than 6gbs of VRAM

It's the principle of it really

Well ya that's why I only buy AMD, unless zen really sucks, because at least with polaris the free-sync displays are pretty cheap

IS THIS GOING TO ALWAYS BE A THING WITH THEIR MIDRANGE CARDS???

They got away with it with the 970, why not do it again? People will obviously still buy it

>To think nvidia would shaft people again after the backlash of the 970 would just be idiotic.

what backlash? the 970 is the best selling GPU of all time. and i really don't see the problem with them selling die harvested GPUs. did people complain when amd and intel sold 1+1 interconnected core CPUs, or quad core CPUs with 2 cores disabled? it's just AMD circlejerk FUD.

7680mb is a normal amount, theres no indication of it being gimped like the 970

there is precedent for it though, the 560ti and 660ti both had gimped memory buses (the 660ti even had 512mb of slower memory, just like the 970).

this isn't a case of 'gimping'. 7680MiB = 8096MB. pajeet is hard at work today, it seems.

I thought the 660 ti had half it's vram gimped? They just weren't as hushhush about it iirc

Yeah that's true. The 970 issue wouldn't have been as bad if they announced the configuration at launch, but the packaging outright lied about the amount of ROPs and L2 cache even though it technically has 4gb of vram

only the last 512mb. the first 1.5gb were fast.

Isn't this being advertised as 8GB though? Why the gimp?

the same reason why AMD advertises their 7680MiB vram gpus as 8GB and the same reason why 931GiB drives are sold as 1TB.

When I buy a 2TB drive it has over 2 trillion bytes. So long as they don't go under that I'm happy.
When I buy 8GB of ram, I get over 8 billion bytes. Fuck, I always get over 8 thousand megabytes.
So what the fuck's happening here?

It's not about the capacity, it's about whether the bandwidth is available to the entire frame buffer or not

The math checks out either way

>When I buy 8GB of ram, I get over 8 billion bytes. Fuck, I always get over 8 thousand megabytes.

no you don't, you get 7460 mibibytes. wolframalpha.com/input/?i=8 gigabytes to gibibytes

No, you get 8 GB, just 512 MB of it isn't as fast, and thus should not be accessed. If it is, the rest slow down as well.

not iso
not osi
not ieee

not to be used

So OP's shit says it has the capacity, but unrelated to that number that looks a whole lot like 7.5, it turns out that the last 512mb are on a slow connection again?
No-one ever argued the 970 didn't HAVE 4GB of VRAM, it just wasn't all usable, this I know. What op's data is, I do not.

>No, you get 8 GB, just 512 MB of it isn't as fast,

>amdrone can't figure out the difference between 1000^2 and 1024^2

>So OP's shit says it has the capacity, but unrelated to that number that looks a whole lot like 7.5, it turns out that the last 512mb are on a slow connection again?

nah, we won't know if nvidia gimped the memory bus again until reviews come out. regardless, we already know that the 1070 is using 8 1GB gddr5 memory chips, so if they gimp the memory bus the last ~1gb will be slow, not the last 512mb.

So are you saying Nvidia's false advertising is original, or that your insult wasn't...? Did you think this through before saying it?

Literal autism

This is an odd broken number, could it be that some amount of memory is being reserved for something else? The GDDR5X standard defines devices with 4, 6, 8, 12 and 16GB capacities.

8-0.5

Just works bro

it just because nvidia has over 80% defective units
they disable defective part

It's a feature you ungrateful fuck

If you actually think that, you're retarded.

lol you think grandma has dedicated video in her PC.

>Besides, OP's pic says "MB", not "MiB
Windows has been doing the same since fucking always.
It shows you decimal units but it counts in binary units

Apply yourself faggots
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

If it wasn't for Microsoft being complete incompetent retards reporting MiB as MB and GiB as GB the world would be a better place

The world would be a better place if the ISO organization hadn't started this shit in the first place.

>B-but kilo means 1000 everywhere else you can't have it mean 1024 for computers it will confuse people!!

yeah thanks a lot fuckers really helped reduce that confusion there

MS is doing the right thing in ignoring this shitty retconned definition. Anyone else should too.

>MS is doing the right thing
You're either retarded or a shill.
Literally noone else does this, kilo, mega, giga, tera are metric prefixes.
And it was standardized 18 fucking years ago and still Memesoft didn't get the memo.

>Literally noone else does this
How so? The way I see it the only one who actually uses the decimal definition is Apple. And of course makers of storage space. Meanwhile, RAM still uses the old definition. CDs with 700 MB are still 700 actual "MiBs", while DVDs aren't. So even here we have inconsistencies.

>kilo, mega, giga, tera are metric prefixes
Outside of the computing world.

>And it was standardized 18 fucking years ago
Compared to, what, the over 50 years during which the old definition was used and nobody having a problem with it?

>Meanwhile, RAM still uses the old definition.
RAM is the reason why even the idea of addressing 1024 bytes as something other than 1,024MB exists, so not really an argument.

>CDs with 700 MB are still 700 actual "MiBs", while DVDs aren't.
you're right on this one

>kilo, mega, giga, tera are metric prefixes
>Outside of the computing world.
No exceptions. Microsoft's fantasy world is hardly an argument here.

>Compared to, what, the over 50 years during which the old definition was used and nobody having a problem with it?
Compared to the 1793's definition of the prefix "kilo" describing 1000.

>No exceptions. Microsoft's fantasy world is hardly an argument here.

It's not just Microsoft.

Pretty sure Google, Adobe, Sup Forums, Facebook, and a ton of other tech companies still refer to 1024 bytes as a KB, not KiB.

Only retards use KiB, hell, has anybody ever heard someone using the terminology Kibibyte or Gibibyte, ever?

Lastly, if you think Metric system is superior, why are you using base 2 units instead of Base 10 units like Apple does. If you use Loonshit, go into your settings and disable KiB and MiB units for stupid shit like KB and MB 10^x units.

It's autism for autism's sake. More though, it's giving into the Jewishness of drive manufacturer's who started this whole bullshit to trick customers.

Instead of shitting on Microsoft, can you give me examples of companies actually using the SI definition? MacOS for a couple years now, okay... no mention of iOS anywhere regarding this so I'm assuming they still use binary prefixes there. Who actually would be autistic use a word like "gibibyte" in real life? You, maybe? Is it you? Or do you make exceptions for yourself as well?

>RAM [isn't] really an argument.
>No exceptions
k buddy

And more proof of your metric retardedness.

In this picture, the image size displays as --515 KB-- on Chrome (made by Google) and also on Sup Forums.

Now on a Mac, it'll say the filesize is 528 KB, which is using the retarded metric units. Now I ask why freetards don't also use the retarded metric units if they think metric is so superior. Instead they use base 2 units like KiB.

>RAM is the reason why even the idea of addressing 1024 bytes as something other than 1,024MB exists

No it isn't.

It's just faster to divide by 1024 than it is to divide by 1000.

>It's just faster to divide by 1024 than it is to divide by 1000.

A gigabyte is 1 000 megabytes
1 000 megabytes is 1 000 000 kilobytes
1 000 000 kilobytes is 1 000 000 000 bytes

a gibibyte is 1024 mebibytes
1024 mebibytes is ?

More examples?
A 1020384028308KB is 1020.384028308TB
How many TiB a 1020384028308KiB is?
Oh right, you have absolutely no fucking clue without whipping out a calculator you fucking faggot.

Chrome doesn't adhere to international standards, how I am the retarded one?

>More though, it's giving into the Jewishness of drive manufacturer's who started this whole bullshit to trick customers.
How is actually following an international standard jewish?

>Pretty sure Google, Adobe, Sup Forums, Facebook, and a ton of other tech companies still refer to 1024 bytes as a KB, not KiB.
pic related

The amount of mental gymnastics done to defend the shitty convention of "kilo is 1000 but muh computers are special therefore 1024 for absolutely no fucking reason at all" is amazing.

Now try those same calculations in binary....

great fucking argument user, i do truly love pretending i'm in a matrix movie.

1024 is applicable to RAM because of binary addressing.
That's why binary prefixes were made to avoid confusion.

For anything else, especially storage 1024 is a magic number that makes absolutely no fucking sense

>storage doesn't use binary addresses

wat?

~ M A R K E T I N G ~

>relying on VRAM to get shit done.

It's like you're really satisfied with games being unoptimized shit now. Thanks a lot faggots, console culture finally beat PC

Stay classy

get cucked so hard with your 4 GB + 3,5 GB

But actually, the cheapo laptops with onboard AMD chips are the ones that sell. And you're right, grandma doesn't know any better, she just wants one that's 'the right price'.