Arch linux = autisim?

is arch Linux as autistic as Ive been hearing? or is it fine?

Other urls found in this thread:

systemd-free.org/install.php
debian.org/doc/
debian-handbook.info/download/stable/debian-handbook.pdf
wiki.debian.org/WiFi
search.debian.org/cgi-bin/omega?DB=en&P=bind
wiki.archlinux.org/?search=bind
wiki.debian.org/Bind9
packages.debian.org/sid/dwww
google.com/fonts/specimen/Cantarell
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
youtube.com/watch?v=JZ017D_JOPY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

(quick aside from OP)

>inb4 Linux mudflinging competion

>Pros:
Small and minimal
Easy to customize without requiring gentoo-level autism
Excellent documentation
AUR
>Cons:
Rolling release distro - no such thing as "stable" or "LTS"
Package upgrades can and do cause breakage

there is some autism, i found out its quite common in the linux world

but arch is actually great

It's the bernie sanders of linux distributions.

so, arch Linux is a closet communist?

Unrealistic ideals only used by hipster faggots.

Linux mint then?

If you don't know shit sure, the same way that if you only used Windows XP/7 all your life Debian or even Windows 95 is autistic (what? I have to install drivers manually? I have to start the installation with a 3 1/2 disk and know "basic" MS-DOS commands?)

If you are interested get into it with patience, nothing is autistic if you master it (well, unless it has no purpose, but if it gives you more control and power over how the OS works, then its not autistic, just more complex in comparison).

They're all the same. Linux is hipster cancer in general except for the 'mainstream' distributions used on servers and android/embedded systems.

well you guys dont seem to have a positive outlook.....

You'll have to install it, to see if you're capable of using it. It's not for everyone.

If you only want to use the computer for general porpuses, yes Linux has no purpose.

If you want to learn how computers work, Windows is cancer (there is a lot to learn in Windows too, but it has a handicap, eventually you need to move on to UNIX based to learn more).

I meant to quote
instead quoted myself lol

If you take a pre built house, and take away all the bricks and blocks and then use a guide to rebuild it, is it a brand new house?

Basically there is 2 types of people that use arch, the people that want to customize their system, and the people who think that by using a user guide to download packages, they are somehow making their own linux distribution because whenever you suggest to them that they should make a LFS, they just respond with "arch is more cutting edge".

Arch is fine, its just the kids that use it. Arch infects anyone that installs it instantly. You can install it, but there is no point in adding more cancer, because it already re-produces itself daily.

Add a verification step in the arch linux installation asking what a display server is. £20 the arch population drops by 90%.

Arch Linux is pretty simple to use. It's my favorite distro. Although you should try out manjaro or antergos first

Antergos and Manjaro are both shit, especially Antergos because the fucking installer doesn't even work half the time

>its not for everyone

in what way?

Arch is not meant to be installed as its angry loser base fluctuates between "use a guide" and "ur a scrub". No guide can possibly exist even the one on their wiki that can satisfy this.

>What they wish to achieve/set up with Arch is not the same
It will never be the same because it must be a different facet of some irrelevant desktop butt diddling snowflakeism

>you cannot say this will work for them
You're right. Install Ubuntu so you don't need to waste days on this timesink.

>rage
This timesink's secret purpose is to give them something to pretend to do instead of raging

>so many differing variables
Which is why non-sperg distros come with installers with questions but GUIs are for normies right

>most of these installers get it wrong
Yes because they work too well right

>The safest way for a new arch user...
...Is to complain on the forums so all of the ones that made it into the club can strut their stuff and say RTFM but then delete the M, replace it with a "U", and eventually remove the RT

Install gentoo or gtfo

It's just a rolling release distribution, there is nothing magical or mysterious about it, OpenSUSE tumbleweed is also a rolling release distribution, again nothing magical about it

>fell for the meme and installed arch after using ubuntu for about a year
>easy enough to install, but getting it to a usable state (desktop environment, compositor, wi-fi, locker) afterwards took far longer than it should've
>got kernel panic a few times when pacman fucked my shit up but was easy enough to fix
>constant necessity to read documentation on related and unrelated things when i wanted additional functionality
>overall pretty comfy, even though i never got it 100% to my liking

i attribute these difficulties to arch's learning curve obviously, but given that i had to use it daily, having to constantly figure out simple shit wasn't worth it just to be part of the elitists who use a meme distro.

i switched to xubuntu yesterday. just werks.

Been using it for the last 2 months. I've had three random reboots, with no logs of course. I hate systemd. I think I'm going to go back to Funtoo.

Having a high IQ comes with it's pros and cons. For instance, i do perfectly fine while only half paying attention to what i'm doing in Arch and other logic based subjects, but when it comes to religion i can't even begin to understand how anyone would believe a damned thing

>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros
It's not the worst distro, but there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.

It's really fucking autisitic

user, they don't necessarily believe it because they think it's true. They believe it because it gives them comfort. A universe governed by a God gives them a sense of purpose since they believe a universal plan is constantly in effect. An empty, Godless universe where there isn't any divine justice or purpose is a terrifying thought. People want to believe there is something more to life than their 9-5 jobs, corrupt politicians, and reality television.

They believe it because they are weak and ignorant. Just like "people" that don't use Arch

I love this font, what is it?

Seconded. I like the 'f's. ID on font please

COMIC SANS

I used it and it really wasnt that bad until I realized that windows could do all of those things + games; the one thing computers offer that TV and books dont is games and it felt ridiculous to have it if I couldnt do the one thing it was good at.

As I mentioned it wasnt that bad, so to directly answer your question: nah. Takes the same amount of time to get used to computers in general as it does to get used to arch - except u need a few more braincells to modify it individually without getting in trouble or blissful ignorance-hole (using DE).

If Arch supported games (or if linux in general did) or vice versa - Arch would surpass all other distros and os on simplicity + customizability.

I miss awesome so much but oh well...

>the one thing computers offer that TV and books dont is games
wew

There's no way you actually exist

Get the fuck off my board

You can ditch systemd in arch if you want.
It will use openrc.

The OS is fine, the users are trash.

It's circle jerked by people who couldn't install an actual "difficult" OS and instead went for babbys ferst hard distro.

Good luck with that. I don't know of anyone that got it to work

i went here to do it

systemd-free.org/install.php

forgot to add to im a slack user but i wanted to try it.

Like "babies can't drive cars" not for everyone

lookin reeeeal comfy. fonts?

Cantarell

Ew

Am I autistic?

Nah, you can't even rice Xfce properly.

>Pro
Super difficult. Arch USERS are generally smarter than the DEVELOPERS of other distributions.
You get to feel super intelligent and autistic for this very reason.
>Con
Subhuman Noobuntu users will hate your guts because you're too smart.

Please be joking

>Deploy Arch using EC2 AWI
>Literally no idea what the install process is
>Shit just works
>Been running several for about two years. Much happier than before.

>shit font
>autistic
"No"

Yes, because you are smarter than this man.

>Gentoo level autism
Because you idiots consider learning something as autistic

>Rolling release distro - no such thing as "stable" or "LTS"
>a con

>Package upgrades can and do cause breakage
this can happen on any system. I've had no breakage from upgrades in 2 years, whereas my friend on Windows's graphic driver shits itself every few upgrades

>a con
Proper distribution offer both, rolling and LTS.

No because different distributions serve different purposes. There's just no point to using Arch on a system that benefits from LTS.

For my servers i use Alpine Linux. Just
apk add myprogram
Install security updates every once and for the rest forget about it.

>Small and minimal
not at all.
>Easy to customize without requiring gentoo-level autism
applies to all distros, gentoo/funtoo are better for customization
>Excellent documentation
good wiki =! excellent documentation
debians documentation is probably better while archs wiki is great
>rolling release
that's not necessarily a bad thing, some people want this and are fine with it. the bad thing about it is that there is no choice like there would be with debian, fedora or opensuse.
>Package upgrades can and do cause breakage
comes with the rolling release aspect, if they finally provide something like apt-listbugs in debian this would not be as much of a problem.

all in all arch is pretty cool, especially for people who care about convenience but not so much about security (AUR can be a good thing for these people). the problem is the community that seems to only know about buntu and arch and that is filled with elitists, autists and retards.

>debians documentation is probably better
I've used it several times. It's outdated and generally shit.

tell us what part of it.
both debian.org/doc/
and debian-handbook.info/download/stable/debian-handbook.pdf
are generally pretty good.

I switched from Arch to debian this morning.
I don't have an ethernet port so i can't connect to the internet. I already installed
firmware-ipw2x00
firmware-iwlwifi
and the wifi still isn't working.

Arch is 10x better

It's alright. It's still bloated. It's community driven, so eh. ABS is cool. For me it's
>Gentoo
>FreeBSD
>Debian
>Arch

read the pci devices at wiki.debian.org/WiFi
and don't be a retard.

debian.org/doc/ has no decent structure like the Arch Wiki
best way to find something in there is to use Google

For example, I want to read up on BIND.
>Search the Debian docs for bind
search.debian.org/cgi-bin/omega?DB=en&P=bind
>Search Arch Wiki for bind
wiki.archlinux.org/?search=bind

Okay, after a bit of googling I found a (non-obsolete) page on Bind on the Debian wiki.
wiki.debian.org/Bind9

Compare that with the Arch wiki.

autism is bitching about which distro is better instead of just using the one you like.

Agreed i use slackware and it has both lts and rolling release models. I may use rrm on my laptop but i use lts model on my server.
Also, Alpine...
My man. Admiration for this distro.

I'm too smart for other distributions.

as i said: wiki =! documentation
i use the arch wiki myself and recommend it to everybody regardless of distro but documentation is important for distro specific information and guides while the wiki should cover specific programs or list things like fonts and similar. the debian administrator handbook is awesome for example.
your Bind9 example seems to indicate that the debian wiki is actually better than the arch wiki, though this is not the case most of the time.

aptitude install dwww
packages.debian.org/sid/dwww

you can download wifi drivers beforehand and put them on a usb and load them during net install.
just sayin

Don't use hardware that requires non-free drivers.

he could have also used the expert installer and included contrib and non-free or just used the nonfree-netinstall image from the start.

can't i just go to the sources.list and like, enable it?

why is AUR favorable? I always thought that using something that was made and uploaded by some unknown user is not a good idea

This man can't even implement a dep resolver and gets rekt by Linus in debconf

He is stiil here for a reason.
You know that "kiss" principle you arch idiots adhere to... He invented it. Ive used arch... Have you used his os? And whats he got to do with Linus and debconf?... OR DEB ANYTHING? Arch users smarter than this man.. Yeah right.

dep resolver.
implying everyone needs one.

you can but then you need to install the right drivers from the the list posted

What is slapt-get?
What is Gslapt?
We can be lazy cunts too you know....
Its not all about you.

i did but it's non-free

I fucked up.
Here is proof arch fags are dumb

Because he thinks respect should be given for no reason. I find literally no reason to respect him because you claim he invented kiss principle
Yeah they do, the reason you don't have a dep resolver is because you don't have enough devs.
I like how your kind delude yourselves in a pseudo superiority and try to hide the simple fact that a basic feature like this is not there in the vanilla install
How about shipping them by default?

That's not a problem if your sources.list has main contrib and non-free

>arch linux = autism
This is always true, because you are assigning the value of autism to arch linux variable, which happens successfully.
What you want to do is use "==" instead of "=" if you want to compare arch linux and autism.

I'm not even using Arch so you can't blame my autism on it.

Pretty sure you should just archlinux.equals(autism) if you're comparing objects buddy.

How about shipping them by default?
Why? Theres no need. Some people dont want them.
Oh and about that "not enough" devs thing...
you sure about that. He has explained that he will never resolve dependencies and you may choose another distro.
We are the oldest, most laid back (unlike you arch folk), and we will outlast you.

Sure. I just offered the solution with syntax similar to what OP used.

>Cantarell
google.com/fonts/specimen/Cantarell

Did I do it right?

Why are you posting this?
Cantarell is the default interface font on gnome 3 btw and it looks real nice.

Yeah the first and the foremost reason is
> Automatic dependency handling requires constant manual developer maintenance, and adds potential for dependency hell.
Incompetency 101

No such thing as dependency hell when dependencies are handled by you instead of a package manager.
Manage a server one day. And...
We will outlast you.

You see, these gentoo retards go on about useflags for a reason.

Thinks hes smarter than the PAT.

Well this slackware/arch debate has got boring.

this is gnome right? with shift+print you can do selective screenshots.
from what i read you need security updates for contrib and nonfree aswell. just add contrib and nonfree on all official repos.
you are missing deb-multimedia which you might want (but probably don't need)
here's the correspoding wiki page:
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

>the PAT.
Get REKT
youtube.com/watch?v=JZ017D_JOPY

How do I get the repos with no WiFi

Also I don't have WiFi on laptop so I can't take screen shot atm

I know you are tryig to make a point, but you are failing miserably. Using Win95 when it first came out would not be autistic, but if you are still using it now then there is definitely something wrong with you.

You spent all that time coming up with this?
Whats Patrick got to do with this video dipshit.
What about your main arguments?
You know about the arch user being smarter than the developers of most distros and that kind of shit.
Im a little disappointed in you.
What about your other arguments about package management?

Thats not Patrick Volkerding