Took me a few years, but I have finally came to a realization that using an e-mail created by an advertising corp...

Took me a few years, but I have finally came to a realization that using an e-mail created by an advertising corp, and then letting them scan my personal e-mails is unacceptable.

Aside from a meme cock.li, what are some alternatives that do not profit from selling my data?

Other urls found in this thread:

prxbx.com/email/
prism-break.org/
newsweek.com/assange-google-not-what-it-seems-279447
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There are no alternatives.

Gmail has nearly unlimited storage
max speed
max availability
great spam filter
recognized name (whitelist)
integration with devies
etc.

Seriously not even paid alternatives are alternatives. Google just eats them up and there is nothing you or I can do about it.

inb4 host your own

Gmail is the only provider that never goes down, so I just can't leave it.

Don't use cock.li

"Vincent" has been ousted as a Goon.

>Free service.
>Expecting company to give him anything for free.
Host your own, and good luck managing email spam filter.

Openmailbox

>what are some alternatives that do not profit from selling my data?
Pretty much any email provider that profits from providing email, duh.

most oldfags are/were goons, retard

zoho.com

Preferably with your own domain.

host your own

The key point is that he *sill* is one.

If you don't mind web clients and don't mind pro-Israel, then Protonmail is fine
If not, host your own

Goons as in SA goons?

yes? moot himself used to post there before he made Sup Forums

I just haven't even heard of SA goons for a long time. I thought everyone left.

Protonmail definitely
protonmail.com

This

Protonmail is pro-Israel?

tutanota

>there is nothing you or I can do about it

Why is this defeatist attitude so common on this board? Google is a shit company, they can't do anything right. Any company could easily come along and make a better mail service, and they could do it without selling out to advertisers.

Its a meme because they use an Israeli DDoS protection company.

Why is this a reason not to use cock.li?

These are your answers OP.
prxbx.com/email/
prism-break.org/

Fastmail if you just want to get away from Google/Microsoft etc. Protonmail if for some super specific reason you need their features.

the best ones do. Moot left because they didn't wanna tolerate his animu faggery. Maddox also used to be a Goon as well as Seanbaby.

Nobody selled my Gmail data. WTF are you talking about crazy boy? You fell for a meme?

dovecot, sendmail, postfix, opensmtpd

Google scans your outgoing mail for keywords and then posts paid ads based on those searches. Outgoing mail conveniently includes the contents of previously inbound mail if you are replying to an email.

You got a few trillion dollars you can lend me?

On a homebrew server with consumer grade internet connection and power supply? Enjoy your unreliable email with downtimes and some receipents rejecting/spamfiltering mail from your shit-tier IP.

On a collocated server in some data center? Enjoy your wasted money.

On a rented server/VPS? You might as well just pay for a fucking mailbox saving both money and time.

>this nigga is too stupid to configure a mailserver

Even rpifags can figure this shit out. Even America experiences 99.9% uptime on consumer connections. What kind of shithole do you live in?

Not everyone is a poorfag who only exchanges emails with their grandma. Just because you can host an email/web/database/whatever server on an rpi in your mom's basement doesn't mean you should if you want reliability.

Then use it on a VPS if you aren't a poorfag.

Your self-hosted e-mail address will end up in Spam folders of most, if not all, major e-mail providers. If you want everyone to never get your e-mails, then be my guest.

I host my own mailserver.

This doesn't happen.

>personal anecdotes is proof

Oy vey.

>making baseless assertions is proof

How exactly is this service supposed to generate an income?

Donations. Selling more storage. Extra paid features. Paid hosting services. Selling mugs and t-shirts to normies that pretend to care about privacy.

It's definitely doable. They won't be nearly as rich as Google, because selling user information to advertisers is a lucrative business.

I think you don't understand how much goddamn money it costs to the data centers needed for something like Gmail but OK dude whatever you want

In all those fields you're competing with heavily entrenched interests like AWS, Rackspace, Dropbox, etc. It just isn't realistic

Google did not become what it is today overnight. They actually used to be a reputable company. Then they saw a shady way to make billions, and they went for it. Not everyone has to sell out. And not everyone has to be as giant as Google is today. Offer a secure service, collect no data, and use alternative way (that I have listed) to finance your expenses. If you have a dedicated team, it is very much possible to have your business grow year over year without resorting to data collection.

No.
Stop.

I recognize and accept your white flag of defeat.
Pic related. It's my face right now.

No one cares.

Just don't use email then. Done. Enjoy your new found freedom.

>Google scans your outgoing mail
>outgoing mail
It's getCurrentYear() and you are using email to send anything? Use work email for work stuff and messenger to talk to others famfam. Gmail everything else online registration

>messenger

As in Facebook Messenger? Solid advice, sonny...

The other user is proposing an email service with less surveillance, and your response is... to tell them to just stop using email altogether?

Pretty defeatist my family

Google hasn't done anything horrible yet. I think we are starting to see them go down a path of evil; hopefully this trend is revered. Until they really fuck up I will keep using their services.

If you are sending secured info such as SSN, passwords, etc thru email, your a fucking retard.

I literally got bigger things in my life to worry about like bills and baseball to care about some bot reading my alumni committee emails.

And yea, if you don't like the TOS then don't use email or host it yourself. 95% of services that are donation supported end up failing for obvious reasons, and its because people like OP say "oh we want this!" And then when it comes out and realize the real world isn't going to let their email service be hosted free, run free, or be kept up with minimal downtime for free, they get uppity and entitled and expect 15g of space when in fact they will only get 100mb, theyll fail to donate.

OP as well as thousands of others clearly won't donate, and will expect the few people who do donate to donate more. Its a stupid business model for a reason and why so few websites are able to run on that. Leddit is one of the few that is sustainable.

By the time they do something horrible, it will be too late to stop them. They already amassing an unreasonable amount of power and information.

newsweek.com/assange-google-not-what-it-seems-279447

>Google hasn't done anything horrible yet.
many would argue that giving away the contents of your emails/searches/activity to others is evil, especially if those others are advertisers actively trying to take money from you

OP, why not just run your own email server? VPS is pretty cheap.

Email is compromised, do not use it to discuss classified or sensitive data.

Even if you do not use gmail, chances are the people you talk to do.

I'm not sure how selling metadata makes someone evil. Philosophically it just doesn't work.

Your mailman, looking through your mail, notices that you have mentioned to your granny, that you drink coffee every morning. The following Monday, employees of several local coffee shops begin showing their products in your face, and follow you everywhere you go. They will be back the next say, and the next day, and the...

On Tuesday, a salesman in a very fancy suit sits down next to you in a crowded movie theater, as you are about to make out with your 4/10 "chubby" independent woman, who needs no man. The salesman proceeds to loudly say that he is under the impression that you enjoy collecting dragon dildos, and that he has some very good ones to sell you. Your "chubby" womyn slaps the shit out of you, as you are left to watch a movie in the company of your newfound friend - the dragon dildo salesman.

What a time to be alive!

It doesn't make anyone evil. Neither does using targeted ads to get you to buy things based on your browsing habits.

>Your mailman,
What if your mailman isn't a person, but an algorithm that automatically generates profiles based on browsing habits? So long as this profile isn't in the hands of the NSA/CIA/government I don't care what information they have access to. It's in Google's best interest to keep their user's data secret. Once there is a significant data breach Google will lose all credibility with the lay man.

there's copypasta about a village in the mountains and company digging a tunnel that illustrates this, sadly my google-fu isn't up to it today

essentially the issue is providing something for free, no-strings-attached until a community or population becomes dependent on it (e.g. older and local businesses/alternatives shut down permanently), them moving to a nonfree model like advertising, is equivalent to forcing the community or population into these terms without their will

google didn't start as an advertising conglomerate, they started as a search engine and web services provider (that didn't even keep logs), kept up the generosity until 99% of their smaller competitors were gone, then started selling everyone's data (because what are they gonna do now)

OH SHIT

Speaking of GMAIL and Sup Forums I just fucked up big time

I just took this tech class with this terrible professor and I went through blackboard and tried to email a few students directly to see what their opinion of the course was before I decided to contact the Dean - just to make sure that I wasn't the one with the problem. I seriously want my fucking money back for this class.

Well, turns out Blackboard sends that email to EVERYONE in the class including the professors. I still have another 2 years of classes to take where I might end up with him as my instructor. I fucked myself big time.

>So long as this profile isn't in the hands of the NSA/CIA/government

But it is.

Google Apps user; pay for it and then you get the benefits of Google's reliability, speed, spam detection rate, etc. but you'll pay ~$120 a year I think? Really cheap if you actually care about what you're talking about and can put your money where your mouth is.

Even then Reddit gets a large sum of money through advertising