Windows 2000 Nostalgia Thread

Got a tricked out Windows 2000 Pro VM set up with XP/Vista kernel extensions.

Post some softwares and let's see if it'll still run on this old OS.

>inb4 teamviewer lulz

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bastimeyer/livestreamer-twitch-gui
docs.livestreamer.io/
blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1299806.html
majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_2000_unofficial_sp.html
blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1763141.html
web.archive.org/web/20160129053851/http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
winworldpc.com/product/windows-nt-2000
youtube.com/watch?v=0bXRnCf3AXs
sourceforge.net/projects/bochs/files/bochs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your main obstacle is going to be software that checks for XP/Vista or newer and doesn't even try to run.

Already got an MSI editor as well as an OS version spoofer.

Pale Moon WinXP, Maxthon 3, foobar2000 all check for XP or higher, but they run fine so far.

I've got a celery 400mhz laptop running xp.

What went wrong with aero?

github.com/bastimeyer/livestreamer-twitch-gui

>400MHz laptop
>XP
Could work okay. nlite that shit

Launches but gets stuck on this page. What else am I supposed to download with it?

docs.livestreamer.io/

>could work okay
It does. I use it.

256mb sdram, 430mhz celery, ati rage mobility, HD screen.

It rarely stutters. Space pinball runs smooth too

>set up with XP/Vista kernel extensions
Wut

Installed Livestreamer and now the twitch GUI crashes without a message when trying to play something.

Livestreamer.exe doesn't seem to complain though.

Did you remember to enable POSready 2009 updates?

Adds APIs introduced in XP and Vista. There's some preliminary DX10 and DX11 support being ported over from Wine libraries.

I tried something similar with windows ME. I could shitpost on Sup Forums with it using opera 12 installed with KernelEx.

Next I'll set up a 95 or 98 shitbox, and then look into 2k. Is there a wiki or something I could read? How do I install the kernel extensions?

Calling livestream.exe directly seems to work fine though.

Check MSFN and BlackWingCat's blog. I can't read the moonrunes, but you want the patch here:
blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1299806.html

It also enables up to 128GB of RAM and up to 16 threads.

>128GB of RAM and up to 16 threads
Wow.
How's the harware support then? Anything I should know of?

It's the usual PAE 32-bit workaround, so you'll need to have hardware and drivers that work with PAE. You'll also need a registry patch (same page) to enable the number of cores you have.

If you're running on bare metal on newer hardware, you'll have trouble with SATA drivers. Try slipstreaming BlackWingCat's matrix storage driver package, or the uni_ata universal driver.

Not sure why my VM isn't showing the full 6GB of RAM I gave it though. Usual thread limit on 2000 Pro is 2 threads, so at least that part worked.

I've got a W2000 ISO but it only has Service Pack 3.

Anyone have a download for SP4? Windows Update has been down for W2000 for years now.

No other takers for a Windows 2000 software trip?

majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_2000_unofficial_sp.html

If you want to build an almost fully up-to-date ISO, use the HFSLIP package here:
blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1763141.html

Download, concatenate, and extract the CAB files, then shove your ISO contents into SOURCE\ and run the bat file. A few odd places in the system will be in Japanese, but it works for the most part.

Pull out the unwanted addons like Chrome or Safari before you run the script though.

I still use Windows 2000 in a vm regularly, to compile installers for my game.

I dunno about any of that kernel extension stuff though.

That's the unofficial SP5. I don't want that.

I just want the original SP4 installer, which is gone from MS's website.

Here's TeamSpeak running under 2000.

You can grab it off the wayback machine:
web.archive.org/web/20160129053851/http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

If it works, don't fix it.

Are there any pages on these kernel extensions?
I'd like to set up a 2K system again, I really enjoyed my old DD file archiver.

Holy shit user, that's great.

See >tfw no comfy Pentium III coppermine rig

Thanks user. Just here spreading some nostalgia.

IE6 was better than the later ones user, good show.

>updates
Lol nah, fuck Microsoft updates

Nice, thanks.

You're fucking retarded.

>link
holy shit thank you so much.

Downloading now... We'll see what happens. And yes, I'm downloading through IE5. I had to create a direct TinyURL or else the browser would just crash.

Why? Just use an av bro.

Fun fact: You could get tabs in IE6.

Such is life with old IE. Any reason you're not running USP 5.1?

>implying

There's no reason to not take advantage of what you've got, there actually are some useful security fixes offered by enabling the POSReady hack that while definitely marginal and rarely exploited, are still a good idea to cover up if you can.

Viruses aren't really the issue, that's endemic to Windows no matter how many updates you receive.

where did you get your iso?

I don't trust Microsoft updates, and if any distro would run as smooth on my hardware I'd switch.

Fact is, I never even connect this pc to the internet.

>Such is life with old IE. Any reason you're not running USP 5.1?

Dafuq is that? I installed SP4 but I still have IE5.

winworldpc.com/product/windows-nt-2000

Only link that works and is English is the one with SP1.

You trust XP... but not the security fixes? I just don't understand that at all. The forced Windows 10 bullshit and pretty much every other stupid thing they do is on the consumertard versions of Windows 8/7 the gaymer bloggers here often run.

Fucking Windows 2000 was based.

Microsoft did have a golden age.

If anyone has any software that isn't supposed to support 2000/XP and wants me to try it, I'm still happy to.

IE6 is a separate install. You'll want IE6SP1, and probably the cumulative security update KB2817183. You'll also need the February 2016 root certificate update to install KB2817183, or you'll get a Cryptographic Services error.

Have you tried Steam?
It's a piece of shit and I'm not much for games anymore, but I do have a lot of friends that still use it...

Reread what I wrote. No Linux distro can match xp in performance and functionality on such weak hardware. My only reason for using xp.

Latest Flash Player still works too, despite the last official version to support 2000 being 11.x

Installing now. I don't have a Steam account though.

Made a throwaway Steam account.

>IMPLYING

Oh no, I don't disagree with that at all. I just don't understand what's untrustworthy about security hotfixes compared to the operating system itself, really the only update I ever avoided on XP was the "genuine advantage" anti-piracy bullshit, nothing else has given me a bit of headache.

Got pretty far at least. That's nice.

Seems to work after dismissing the warning. The store page doesn't actually load the page though.

Downloading some random free game now.

It's Microsoft, I don't doubt that they've included a bunch of shifty code in their updates.

Plus, no internet connection. Therefore security isn't an issue.

Game itself didn't work. I'm guessing it's missing a Visual C Redistributable, but I can't be assed to figure this out at 3AM.

Hope everyone had a good time in this thread. If it's still up in a few hours I'll take more requests, but I don't think threads on Sup Forums live as long anymore.

Can you load win7 drivers

install microsoft office

Can you make a liveCD bootable out of it
if so, can I have iso plz

Whats the point on doing this, next time will you do a windows 10 emulated in DOS?

>Whats the point
Fun?
Technology?

underage pls go

Why are you here on Sup Forums specifically?

>It's Microsoft, I don't doubt that they've included a bunch of shifty code in their updates.
If that's your reasoning then I still don't understand why you simultaneously are fine with XP, it's a shitty patch-on-patch clusterfuck of code to begin with, and well within the realm of being backdoored if that's your other fear.

>Plus, no internet connection. Therefore security isn't an issue.
Yeah, I wouldn't really be worried about it either. I'm actually not trying to tell you to update, I'm just picking on that initial reason you gave for it.

what

Run a virtual machine inside your virtual 2000 and install Windows 95

>Run a virtual machine inside your virtual 2000 and install Windows 95
>maximum inception

NIGGER CADDLE

What are the limitations of this?

I suppose availability of code/software that would make current technologies function.
It seems like a selective upgrading of key components of Windows NT and supporting libraries.

You can run IE6 on modern Windows using Thinapp
youtube.com/watch?v=0bXRnCf3AXs

So it could support all windows 32 bit applications?

Except metro apps, fuck metro apps.

Try sandboxie, it would be interesting.

Depending on what they do with the kernel, it might even be able to run 64bit application. I don't see there being a limit to what _could_ be done, just more about what is _allowed_ to happen. Microsoft might have something in place to prevent those who would from doing so.

>still not teedas wallpaper

pls

I posted this the other day. I won't try to do what you have done, mostly because I don't think the hardware can handle it. It is comfy right now just being a spreadsheet machine.

Bump

Aaaand we're back!

I got a Windows 98SE ISO somewhere.

Some underlying system functions that newer programs expect aren't available in 2000.

Windows 2000 was definitely not offered in amd64 architecture, so that's a limit.

You might be able to get a very light modern browser working on it.

IT'S HAPPENING

Sandboxie install went okay, service doesn't seem to start though.

2ebin4me

Windows Neptune is literally a brand new 2000 service pack.

Couple years ago, a guy by the name of mortagen tried to complete the Neptune beta alone. That project has since been lost to the sands of the time

good thread

Is IE6 really good or is it just a mene? I see you guys use IE5.

Would I see much benefit going from xp to 2000?

I'm

>tfw forgot how much you have to baby the 98SE installer
This shit is taking longer than I expected.

>IE6
Pic related.

Probably not. Your boot times will likely be worse because 2000 loaded things serially. You can always dual-boot and try it.

AND WE HAVE LIFTOFF

process hacker 2

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER.

Doesn't look like it'll run. It's misisng the NtCreateKeyedEvent API in ntdll.dll.

Now run a vm inside that vm and install windows xp

awww shucks botnetception

I would install win 2000 or 98 just to play with the pattern editor again, I loved that shit for some reason.

Got something halfway between standard taskmgr.exe and Process Hacker.

I don't think there's any proper x86 emulators on 9x systems.

>

Ah, that sucks.

awesome, make it your wallpaper

I love this thread

op is dead

>not faking your OS id

Looks like shit famalam.

Still alive; went to take a shit.

Windows 3.1 shit itself for some reason, re-installing.

Steam itself runs fine after clicking OK.

Try Bochs maybe? It looks like it should run inside Windows 95. Or at least one of the many many older versions of it should.
sourceforge.net/projects/bochs/files/bochs/

3.1 on 98se on 2000 on 7.

Mouse doesn't seem to work in 3.1 though.

Stay tuned!

Is it a USB mouse?

No dice. Maybe an older version or KernelEx will help.

Yes, but there's so many layers of pass-through it's bound to be an issue at some point.

I love the aesthetics
Pure, clear and functional
I miss it

You sure it's not a driver issue?

I don't think I have many options when it comes to drivers inside Virtual PC inside VMware. I'm using the guest OS toolkit in both cases.

2.3.7 seems to run, but I have no idea how to configure it.

WE MUST GO DEEPER

Try running dos box inside windows 7 and see if the mouse works with 3.1.

this thread is wonderful.

op is a god

Real men run NT 3.51

Have a bunch of apps from the olde days though user, what are you looking for?

Can you install win xp in win98 VM?

Can you reach w7?

ahaha i was thinking of this please do it up