What distro ships and has the most stable and optimized KDE 5 ?

What distro ships and has the most stable and optimized KDE 5 ?

What are your experiences?

Other urls found in this thread:

trinitydesktop.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kubuntu, OpenSUSE or the new KDE Neon I suppose.

gentoo

>stable KDE
None

>KDE

Why couldn't they have rotated the gear so the bottom right of the K didn't cut into it?

I'm actually using KDE right now but thinking of going back to XFCE desu.

Kubuntu isn't really that stable, nor is it known to be historically.

>Why couldn't they have rotated the gear so the bottom right of the K didn't cut into it?
Well now that I see it too it's fucking annoying.

>What distro ships and has the most stable and optimized KDE 5 ?
No idea.

>What are your experiences?
I've used it before on Slackware. Slackware currently uses 4 as official, but there's a repo that has 5.

Seems stable enough to me, I didn't have many issues, and the few I did have were easily fixed by a quick ctrl+alt+backspace.

Having said that, I didn't really find it that enough of an improvement to move to it on my new computer, so I've just stayed with 4. I guess I'm just not /BLEEDINGEDGE/ enough for Sup Forums.

It bugs me every time I log in.

That, and how it always seem to forget where I want my taskbar.

u didnt say what distro u use u fucking idiot. That info is crucial

From my honest experience Arch was the most stable KDE setup. Maybe becasue I was running pure KDE with no gtk shit
>2016
>Using KDE4
Was your head filled with cum at birth?

Antegros for sure. Smoothest and sexiest by far.

Which version of 4 are you on?
Staying is fine in my book, later versions are rock solid and other than looks and better widgets, tray, notifications etc. not all that much has changed in every day use.

I used KDE from 4.7 to 4.14 or something. Currently running 5.4 and I'm happy, for the most part. Still needs polishing though, 5.5 or 5.6 is probably where it's at.

Greatest bit for me personally is breeze, sddm, new plasma (tray and widgets rock) and no immediate need for qtcurve.

Drawback is probably networkmanager widget buggyness and plasma crashes.

Oh and I'm running Kubuntu 15.10 and Debian testing.

Kubuntu has been shit, Debian has been great.

Because I didn't care to answer your question, faggot.

I'm just gonna come out and say it.

Kubuntu isn't that bad, it looks beautiful and just werks.

>Still needs polishing though, 5.5 or 5.6 is probably where it's at.
>mfw that's what people said about 4.2

KDE 5 is a newer technology than 4, retard. They are not the same

Don't log out :-)
Also, you could disable the splash screen. It just adds delay anyway.

Just looked it up, 4.14.3 on Slackware current.

I don't quite understand which is the current version number for KDE 5 that's available in the ktown repo, I assume it's 5.6.3:
>Here is KDE 5_16.04 for Slackware, consisting of the KDE Frameworks 5.21.0,
Plasma 5.6.3 and Applications 16.04.0.

>Install kubuntu
>Install cinnamon just to see if it werks
>KDE is now fucked

good

KDE changes and fixes itself rapidly. Which is why it's the best up-to-date DE with most features.

DElets like Xfeces include whicskermenu into the default installation and make a whole new version out of it because it'd be more than a year

First release of KDE 4 is almost 10 years old.
Yes, that fucking old.

Now stop comparing it to Plasma 5.

>Don't log out :-)
Sage advice, that's what I do!

Although I'm the aforementioned KDE4 user, so I don't know if the logo is the same. I just put my computer to sleep most of the time, reboot it maybe once every few weeks.

I'm using OpenSUSE Leap and I think it comes with KDE 4 but with some KDE 5 packages as well?

Best computing experience I've ever had and I'm really casual with this stuff, Kubuntu with KDE 5 was shit. Might try and upgrade to 5 on OpenSUSE fully and see how it goes.

Nice, 4.14 is pretty great.

Yeah, the new version numbering is kind of confusing, especially when you got some using 16.04 and others 5.x.

Seems like the logo concept has been more or less the same since forever, just in different design. Probably cut to make the upper line of the 'k' align with the lower cog tooth.

KDE is a clusterfuck, slow, clunky and overkill when it comes to useless cosmetic elements that add nothing to the overall OS.

Performance wise, it takes a full 2 minutes to boot and load desktop. I was extremely disappointed as the appearance was promising.

The problem is the Linux kernel itself that does not have the good proprietary drivers to give users a proper OS experience. People on laptops have it the worse some components like Bluetooth, wifi and IDT codec audio does not work properly and you can't change those components easily.

Linux as a whole is a disappointment.

t. someone who distro hopped for 5 years and nearly killed himself because of Linux

>Performance wise, it takes a full 2 minutes to boot and load desktop
There was a bug with certain widgets delaying the login (networkmanager). It has nothing to do with performance.

>The problem is the Linux kernel itself that does not have the good proprietary drivers to give users a proper OS experience.
lol

Stick with trinitydesktop.org/

>The problem is the Linux kernel itself that does not have the good proprietary drivers to give users a proper OS experience. People on laptops have it the worse some components like Bluetooth, wifi and IDT codec audio does not work properly and you can't change those components easily.
>Linux as a whole is a disappointment.
works for me

Til today there is no way to fix my RT3290 Bluetooth/Wifi and IDT audio where I can't hear anything properly even at 100% volume. I tried alsamixer and a whole bunch of other useless tweaks, nothing works.

Linux is just a console front end for people to surf the web and use terminal, it is by no means a desktop OS.

I specifically mentioned laptop users. You can custom build a system that plays nice with Linux kernel with drivers.

Why are you even in this thread.

stock Latitude E5450

Because I was triggered by KDE. It brought back repressed memories.

With the only alternatives being GNOME literally-mac-os 3, XFCE, the lightweight featureless DE and LXDE which is like LXDE but even more stripped.

Why do I have to choose between useless and bloated DEs?

*which is like XFCE

because this is the power of open source

Hello 2009

what's wrong with GNOME literally-mac-os 3 once you learn the keyboard shortcuts?

Besides 1 or 2 you haven't named how many do you fucking want? All the underlying OS's and themes as well like...surely you can find combination to suit over Windows/OS X?

OpenSUSE
par none

>stable
>optimized
>KDE
Pick none.

>What are your experiences?
They all suck.
KDE sucks.
Qt sucks.

I'm a big-time GNOME user and something I yearn for is the stable window tiling that I've had in XMonad.

Another downside is the implementation and extension language, Javascript isn't exactly the nicest; to be fair it does provide you with a handy set of libraries, so writing extensions is actually pretty easy and you can do graphically fancy things easily like mirroring windows. It also doesn't support CSS3 fully, although that's an issue with GTK3 as far as I know; non-GNOME DEs don't support much CSS styling at all so it's more of an isolated issue. It uses more RAM than other DEs, I think, but that's not an issue unless you rely on mommy or autismbux for your income.

I can offer you about two examples, but both of them cease being stable and optimized once you install like two programs on it. KDE is envisioned as a Windows ersatz and it's a goddamn success, it's the perfect bloated buggy mess.

What about simply replacing the WM? It's possible with KDE.

Kubuntu is so shitty man

I like the effort, but unfortunately their distro is pretty shit, yeah. Might as well use Debian.

neon is even worse, it's a fucking joke at this point, maybe it'll get better but I somehow doubt it

You can replace Mutter but that means no Shell, no extensions.

Good, it's shit anyway :^)

I really like i3

It's especially nice for a laptop with a small touchpad, don't have to mess around with it to open windows

You suck cocks as well

Senpaitachi is it possible to install kwin and dolphin on top of xfce? I think it would be perfect thing for me.

>using the smiley with a carat nose