Why haven't you installed custom firmware on your router yet, user?

Why haven't you installed custom firmware on your router yet, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

gorodizokna.ru
youtube.com/watch?v=RI6D0LMkm3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm afraid to brick it and the stock one works great for over a year without restart.

have you exploited any of the additional functions or did you just flash it because it's supposed to run better?

I'm trying to get privoxy to run to block ads. Also, I'm planning to instal a torrent client later on.

Because the Asus firmware is pretty damn good and has all of the functionality I need.

already did but my router is too shitty to use QoS without crashing

I did and bricked my router.

just got privoxy to run. shit's dope yo

I had it for a while but it was pretty damn clunky and I decided that I don't need it anyway, went back to stock.

Because it already works like i want it to.

I did once, got some fucked up browser hijackers all over my network. Never again.

I'm cucked by a Comcast router until I move out later this year and finally establish a real network with my own router.

Wouldn't be so bad if the number of fucking 2.4GHz networks around me wasn't approaching the god damn singularity and 5GHz wasn't so shit-tier.

do elaborate, plz.

Because nothing compares to RouterOS

Because I don't use a consumer router.

I did years ago.

I even made a custom firmware for the ISP I worked for.
>It never made it into shipping customer modems, but was used by staff and some customers who had made friends with staff.

You are only ever cucked by yourself
>bbbut I can't change my supplied router
Who cares.
Disable the wireless on it, unplug all devices but your new router from it, set up your new router and ignore the old one exists, just use it like a modem only.

But i have. Shibby's tomato needs an autoupdate tool because i haven't bothered with it myself.

I'm sorry but there are plenty of network operating systems out there that run rings around ROS (not referring to dd-wrt).

The RouterBoards are nice and cost effective, and ROS certainly gets the job done. But they are not the be all and end all.

RouterOS is neat, running OpenBSD router myself )

It's not that I "can't" use my own router, it's that I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a proper network in a temporary house that I don't own. It also wouldn't solve my problem so there's no point right now.

privyet

>Shibby's tomato needs an autoupdate tool because i haven't bothered with it myself.
NO.
JUST NO.

Autoupdate for a router is a TERRIBAD idea, all it takes is a single vulnerability and suddenly you're running infected firmware.

Automatic updates for a router is the worst idea ever.

Well it works for phones and windows 10.

Because my router is so shit that it doesnt have CF support.

I wish it had tho, stock FW is dildos.

Because I have a modem/router and nobody put any effort on doing custom firmware for them and for this too.

All this DD-WRT is making me sick

Can't stump the tomat(o)

>300Mbps N wifi
>literally unbrickable
>no gigabit LAN
>$10 on ebay
>OpenWRT based firmwares everywhere

I got this exact router for free. There was a project where you put a webcam to your window so one could look out of a stranger's window in my country, so I decided to participate. They mailed me this router and 720p webcam, month later I cancelled the service and they haven't bothered taking it back lol.

I got myself a nice used router with the intention of putting dd-wrt on it, but then I discovered that the stock firmware supports MAC address spoofing so I didn't bother

I am also running librewrt on 842nd, it's nice. Once in a while it stucks while booting that I have to power cycle it.

considering this too
does it run tomato?

Aww where was it? i want free stuff :(

Russia, it's gorodizokna.ru
Apparently they still are in business

So you mean 'it works' as in sometimes it isn't broken for manufacturer firmware.
However we aren't talking about manufacturer firmware.

>does it run tomato?
I can't find much info on this, I think it does not. What I found is that the wr841 is an Atheros device, however Tomato firmware focusses on Broadcom devices

The performance of ddwrt or openwrt on most routers is far under the original firmware in almost all fields especially wifi. I only use custom one if I really have to. A RPI is enough for almost everything a cfw can do though

Merlin asuswrt. Nuff said.

[citation needed]

The same reason I don't get free software:
Nobody is responsible if something is broken.

>DD-WRT
what's wrong with it?

Because IP providers are going to make you uninstall the firmware or ask you to buy one of their routers since they won't know how to setup their services with it

because it's a nsa funded root kit

Last time I checked, neither OpenWRT nor DD-WRT support my router.

I would have to do all kinds of hacking like telnet and hex editing just to change the firmware:

youtube.com/watch?v=RI6D0LMkm3s

i would definitely use tomato or openwrt over dd-wrt though.

I use AsusWRT-Merlin so that I can take advantage of hardware acceleration while also having a more up-to-date software and feature set. Probably the only maintenance-free router setup I've ever had. DD-WRT sucks and OpenWRT has been abandoned for LEDE so I'm sticking with Asus for the foreseeable future.

Because I use Mikrotik and not some router for 12y olds.

WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING

root@DD-WRT:~# sh /tmp/optware-install.sh
Checking system config ...
Using 212.51.137.1 as default gateway.
Using the following nameserver(s):
nameserver 192.168.1.1
Warning: /opt partition not empty!
Installing package uclibc-opt_0.9.28-13_mipsel.ipk ...
Some newer versions of DD-WRT does not show download progress bar,
so just be patient - or check STATUS -> BANDWIDTH tab for download
activity in your routers Web-GUI, and then still wait a minute or two.
Connecting to ipkg.nslu2-linux.org (140.211.169.161:80)
Updating /opt/etc/ld.so.cache
/tmp/postinst: line 6: /opt/sbin/ldconfig: Permission denied
Installing package ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_mipsel.ipk ...
Some newer versions of DD-WRT does not show download progress bar,
so just be patient - or check STATUS -> BANDWIDTH tab for download
activity in your routers Web-GUI, and then still wait a minute or two.
Connecting to ipkg.nslu2-linux.org (140.211.169.161:80)
/tmp/optware-install.sh: line 94: /opt/sbin/ldconfig: Permission denied
/tmp/optware-install.sh: line 95: /opt/bin/ipkg: Permission denied
/tmp/optware-install.sh: line 96: /opt/bin/ipkg: Permission denied
/tmp/optware-install.sh: line 97: /opt/bin/ipkg: Permission denied

I did like a week after I got it.
It would stop working and not connect to any sites without a reboot.
Put tomato on it and it's been fine since.
Linksys E1200 iirc

i used to boost the signal, but now i'm adding better antennas and custom iptables. probably going to run tor server on it.

What's the current WRT54GL?

what for?

Usually free

I don't even know if I could.

>they use a router
>without a builtin modem

>2016
>DD-WRT
>not OpenWrt

There are mods, but the default one is good enough

senpai

Why using DD-WRT? Not updated for ages, begging for donations, capitalizing on other peoples work, not easilt allowing you to flash a different firmware. OpenWRT is much better and by now faster due to more recent drivers and optimization. Having a botch cheap tp-link 842 with RAM upgraded to 64MB. Running mumble server and a vpn tunnel. Works like a charm, probably with the standard 32MB too.

I wouldn't update until they work more bugs out of the new multi-WAN builds, sounds like its been nothing but issues above 132.

>AVM
My nigger. Only company that supports their devices for years.

I use sambashare for my plex installation.

Don't need superfast speeds because I'm the only one using it. Also keeping it on the router lets my always on raspberry pi torrenting machine have access to the share so I have automated tv-show and movie downloads which my stationary computer`s plex installation is getting it's content from.

Learn english

>install dd-wrt for openvpn
>doesn't even fucking work

Did every part of the certification generation just fine, the fucking shit just wont work.

Literally might have to just get another raspberry PI so that I can have a dedicated VPN.

I liked OW but don't know what else install really don't have much to route or voip probably i'll go with a dns or proxy, if some space left after openvpn tp-link os was nice but was curious about ow, dd-wrt is cool too

The default firmware is indeed quite decent.

I suspect it's because routers is the only thing they do.

> Barrier Breaker

Calm down, bro.

>ssid
> *_*

kys pls

shibby's tomato is fucking amazing
auto updates are for retards

it's ^_^
get better eyes you fuckin blind faggot

Stupid ass atnt Motorola router has no custom software out there

That's why you have checksums, private keys, tokens and so on

>developer goes rogue