With CPU performance stagnation. would you be able to get a cheap 4790k in say 2020?

With CPU performance stagnation. would you be able to get a cheap 4790k in say 2020?

You could get a cheap CPU capable of playing everything you throw at it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-_9m7xkzwnQ
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge
delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's better to look for Xeons after that time. You can find Xeons now that are absolute monsters for 60-70$

CPU performance isn't stagnant though, programming and stupid compatability is.

>muh Sandy Bridge
Can't do AVX2, Older instruction IPC is insignificant vs newer instructions that can do that same output in less cycles.

You don't really need to buy that beefy of a CPU for gaming most of the time, though.

>find Xeons for $50
>it's LGA2011 socket
>mobo costs $500

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's always the way, user. Motherboards are much more likely to die than CPUs, which leads to an ever-dwindling number of old boards to house the plentiful supply of "obsolete" CPUs.

I was really hoping i could get away with those 771 Xeons with stickers for 775. That way you can find some cheap mobo and cheap eon

but NOOOOOOOO, fucking merchants have to change socket every year

>I was really hoping i could get away with those 771 Xeons with stickers for 775

I could get away like* with those 771 Xeons

Not many things use AVX2, only if you're doing video editing/transcoding when that matters.

Actually most any application can benefit if compiled for support with AVX.

The point is that most applications aren't complied with support for modern instructions, but where they are modern CPUs trounce the shit out of older CPUs.

Thus CPu performance has not in fact stagnated, programming has.

half year ago I bought x5470 for my lga775 rig and overclocked it to 4.1ghz. Best computer related purchase ever. I'm still impressed

No ! There's a ton of guides on the web that show how to remove certain parts of the mobo so that the CPU becomes compatible.

If I remember the name of the name of the guy I'll reply with a link.

It's harder to kill the CPU than the motherboard. So you will be able to purchase cheap and powerful processors but no decent non-defective motherboards for it or only overpriced motherboards, which are making it meaningless purchase. And there is no "stagnation" on the CPU market, you are a fucking retarded mongoild and should leave this board, get back to

Look for xeons.
X5450 was a beast and it's on lga 775. Does better than the i3 4160 at multithreading, and can be oc for better performance. Only costs 25 dollars from china

Can't wait for cheap skylake chips.

>tfw LinusCuckTips fucked up the used market by telling everyone about it
>tfw prices of literally everything computer related is at least 30% higher now

what's the best 775 Xeon?

youtube.com/watch?v=-_9m7xkzwnQ

Arent most bricked MBs fixable tho?

That's no use for LGA2011

Can be applied thw same way

X5450 iirc

This.

Used to be able to get a HD7950 for 90 aud. Now I'm lucky to see one below 150 aud. Fuck Linus and his bloody scrapyard wars. Next he'll expose workstations and thinkpads.

>fucking fell for it

>i was only pretending to be retarded

Jbbhn

Any examples/links user?

E5-2670 can be had for ~$60

it's a 8 core, 16 threads, 2.6Ghz, 20MB L3 cache, 32nm, Sandy Bridge-EP, socket 2011.

>socket 2011

that's the problem in this whole story

Why not lga1156?

X3440 looks pretty good. Quad core with ht.

well duh, that's why they're so cheap, you have to own the motherboard already, have a source for a cheap working one, or pay out the ass for a used one online.

It's not unheard of for small businesses to get rid of old hardware, this includes low power socket 2011 servers which would love to have a nice beefy octo-core dropped into it.

Point is, there is a reason they are cheap, but it's possible to get lucky on the motherboard front, and then you have a nice cheap very powerful CPU to pop right in.

Though obviously single core performance would be mediocre at best.

mfw i saw fx8100 with the asking price of $100

with GPU's getting more and more powerful will it get to a stage where anything below a 8 core will bottleneck midrange-high end graphics card?

i am talking about the newest i7's are they future proof?

>will it get to a stage where anything below a 8 core will bottleneck midrange-high end graphics card
If we start seeing improvements in the utilization of more CPU cores, sure. At the moment it seems to be the trend to run as much as you can on the GPU itself and leave the CPU to do only the things the GPU can't.

But with DX12 and Vulcan allowing developers to use more cores more efficiently then sure, in 4-5 years we might actually start seeing 6-8 core CPUs be a bottle neck.

As it is right now though I dont see it yet.

Nah, cpus will stay the same in the next 5 years, any i5 today will be good 5 years from now, of course if we don't see some revolution

How can you say stagnant when it's been a 350% improvement in 5 years?

i doubt it

pretty sad cpu tech has basically been dead since the 8 core xeons

>Sandybridge to Skylake is 350%

>not getting 8 core Zen for i7 price

user forgot , it is 3,50%

I just retired my Core laptop I purchased back in 2005 last week.

Motherboards, especially ones capable of overclocking tend to become rare over time. Even I found one for cheap I wouldn't fuck with it, I don't trust motherboards not to shit themselves after 5+ years.

I think it was Westermere 5 years ago, but could be the one before that. Core gen1 to gen6 and we are almost at gen 7 now.

They could be counting cores too since server side anyway an E5 v1 had 8 or 10 cores max and the E5 v4's now sport up to 22. There's an easy 200% right there.

If you're into PS2 emulation, the AVX2 builds of PCSX2 are mandatory for demanding shit like MGS2 or 3 to be played at 60 FPS+

That processors are cheap because the mobos are more expensive than a current gen processor, that is why only fucking retards buy them

>that is why only fucking retards buy them
or you already owned the motherboard and a much less powerful CPU for that motherboard, you now have a drop in upgrade for $50-60

*neutered xeons for gaymans

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge
> Intel demonstrated a Sandy Bridge processor in 2009, and released first products based on the architecture in January 2011 under the Core brand.

Nah, retards are the reason, the 775 modded xeons and the core2quad used to be 6-10€ but retards started buying them just because muh cheap processor and now they are 20-40

Dell has a long lifespan Optiplex XE that uses the gen 4 Core. Not sure why, but 4th gen still seems immensely popular with manufacturers.

>counting coars
>$3000- $10000 processors
Now you're grasping at straws

>nearly 7 years old
>doesn't even sweat to run brand new stuff

>Needed a laptop for job that I travel around a lot
>Limited cash, could only afford less then $150
>Found a Latitude E6420 with a Sandy Bridge i5 for $130.
>Works beautifully for everything I need it for

I am also looking at upgrading my media server with a Xeon E3-1230V3 soon. Gotta love when shit goes rapidly down in price but is still powerful enough to do whatever you need to with it.

Would the Q6600 not be the best cpu for lga775?

Not even close

Xeons are better. There are even core2Quads better than q6600

there is like 9 processors better

Whew almost bought one and made the worst mistake of my life
Which one do you reccomend? Im a junior software engineer and I may need some paralellism? If that is something worth mentioning... Im not gaming at all, and Ive got an e5200 monster as is

It has to be socket775?

Maybe X5470, that's one of the strongest socket775/771 cpus

I'd prefer it, i dont want to have to spring for a new motherboard, I just want to prolong my PC a little while longer, its tremendously bottlenecked by the CPU as it is
I found the x5470 on ebay, all marked for 771, I hope it wont be too difficult to place it in the 775 socket (Ive never replaced/mounted a CPU in my life)

C2Q were never this cheap

delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

it's pretty simple

>Ive never replaced/mounted a CPU in my life
>software engineer

go to Sup Forums

Thanks, doesnt look difficult at all

The title itself reads 'software' not 'hardware'
I dont practice skills that end up saving me a grand total of 100 bucks over the course of my entire life, while running the risk of ruining a 50-500$ chip

Yeah yeah its not like a breaindead monkey could properly do it or something

What's your profession?

I make coffee in google offices

Dont they have braindead monkeys for that?

Exactly