What is the best IDE for

I dont know what ide to use to learn c++ im on lubuntu 15.01 what does Sup Forums/ use?

Visual Studio is the best IDE for C and C++

Emacs plus command line.

I use Qt Creator for C++, and i heard CLion is great for C development.
>t. Rajesh.

Visual studio

Which version and why?

>tfw i program in gedit

Vim + Linux utils

>Linux utils
tech illiterate spotted

Qt Creator
Codelite
Code::Blocks
Visual Studio Code
Geany
Vim
Emacs

CLion

You and me both brother.

>Linux utils
oh fuck off already

I keep cutting the fat and went from VS to codeblocks to vim. Vim master race.

On Linux you normally don't use an IDE.
Use an editor like VIM or Atom.

It's much more comfortable than every IDE.
Trust me.

2013/2015. 2010 is lagshit and 2008 is too old.

He's asking for an IDE.

>use a program written in Java to develop for C
I don't have an image for batshit retarded, so here you go.

Vim can be an IDE if you have the patience to install the right plugins.

>best IDE for C
good one

If it works, it works. As long as they don't have to maintain it, and it works exactly as desired. Why should they even care what it was written in?

Yeah, QtCreator is pretty good. I really like it. I've heard CLion is good, but I'm reluctant to make the switch since QtCreator works so well for me. Plus it's FOSS, so you Sup Forums would approve more.

I use 15 not 2015 - the 15 which is in preview and works extraordinarily well.

In my experience, Microsoft's C++ compiler produces horrible diagnostics, compared to Clang. It makes Clang much easier to use.

Also, Microsoft's C compiler isn't even C99 compliant, so it's very outdated and not worth using.

everyone i know and work with uses VIM
and people i know who used IDEs switched to VIM later

Use Gedit or Kedit. You dont need an ide. You need to learn c++. Any text editor that highlights your code then a terminal to compile will be fine.

Easy to install, easy to use.

I don't need to fuck around with an IDE for 3 days setting up plug ins and external packages. I just want to fucking code. Visual Studio generally lets me do that without much trouble.

>I don't need to fuck around with an IDE for 3 days setting up plug ins and external packages. I just want to fucking code
You could also just not use an IDE.

Geany of coarse

This is a serious issue. I've heard if you do this, the java code will leak out and infect your compiled C code.

I use Visual Studio 2015 for C++.

I don't dream of programming in C.

KDevelop

It's hard to tell if you're serious or not, so I'm going to go ahead and take the bait and tell you anyway: If you use your own compiler then there's no need to put a tin foil hat on.

Kdevelop is pretty mediocre. It's like Notepad++ without the polish. I can't find anything that is like Notpad++ on Linux though, so I use Kdevelop.

Use Kate for that

Enjoy debugging then.

From the professionals I've asked, there doesn't exist a debugger better than Visual Studio.

Hell, there isn't a debugger that even matches Visual Studio.

>It's hard to tell if you're serious or not
Is it really though?

>Enjoy debugging then
GDB is fine.

>there doesn't exist a debugger better than Visual Studio.
Is there a way in the debugger to deference an array stored as a pointer? I end up getting stuck looking at things like this and being totally unable to read their values, whereas with GDB, you can execute arbitrary C expressions and print the value.

>a text editor
>a compiler

This is what you need. Do not waste time with IDEs. When you have a good understanding of what EMACS or VIM can do for you, then you may use one or the other--not both, because that's against the law.

You should probably get a debugger, like GDB, too.

The debugger isn't going to know that a pointer is being used as an array any more than your compiler does.

If that's what you want, stop using raw pointers. Then it will work.

>The debugger isn't going to know that a pointer is being used as an array any more than your compiler does.
Which is why that feature in GDB that allows me to do this is very useful...

>stop using raw pointers
If I have to stop using one of the basic language features to use a debugger, it's not a very good debugger.