Is this the most stupid tech related post you've ever seen?

Is this the most stupid tech related post you've ever seen?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_sense_multiple_access
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_sense_multiple_access_with_collision_avoidance
uninformed.org/index.cgi?v=5&a=1&p=10
documentation.meraki.com/@api/deki/files/1736/=be005f42-a201-461e-ba65-80428c405589?revision=1
rbt.asia/g/thread/S47497724#p47500441
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_medium
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ebin

DUDE RADIO WAVES LMFAOXD

Check his profile and see what other stupid things he has asked

>leddit
leave Sup Forums.

But whats the actual answer?

Does it actually make it weaker?

Not the signal, but the router can only route so much

Hint: Pretend you're tuned in and listening to 93.5FM, what do you think would happen if another station 1/2 a mile away started broadcasting a different show on 93.5FM as well?

Radio stations are always broadcasting the same thing, and all those receivers are getting the same thing, whereas wi-fi has to deliver something different to each user, and the broadcast time needs to be split among all the connected users.

Think of Wi-Fi as if multiple radio stations were being broadcast on the same frequency from the same tower.

yes because Radio Towers have jiggawats of power while a home router runs on simple watts.

You could OC the radio ship to output more power but you risk blowing the tiny transformers inside the router itself. Multiple routers side-by-side broadcasting the same connection on the same frequency would work too.

The real, correct, technical answer is CSMA.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_sense_multiple_access
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_sense_multiple_access_with_collision_avoidance
uninformed.org/index.cgi?v=5&a=1&p=10

Air, like Ethernet before layer-2 switching, is a shared medium. When multiple nodes send data simultaneously, the frames (air waves) might collide.
To prevent collisions, nodes listen to a channel and only send when the channel is idle. Other wireless technologies than 802.11 might also use RTS/CTS, which involves sending small Request To Send packets, and only sends data when a Clear To Send packet is recieved. This adds too much overhead for 802.11, though, so it's not used. Physical Carrier Sense is used instead.

More devices on a channel means less idle time for the radio frequency, thus your node will send and recieve data less frequently.
AM/FM radio is different because it's a one-way broadcast. No other node is going to interfere with the signal you're getting, because everyone are recieving, nobody are sending.

>yes because Radio Towers have jiggawats of power while a home router runs on simple watts.
That's not the point. Put a powerful jammer on the road, tune it into the same frequency as some radio station and they won't hear shit but noise when they drive past your jammer.
>You could OC the radio ship
wat
>but you risk blowing the tiny transformers
>tiny transformers
WAT
>Multiple routers side-by-side broadcasting the same connection on the same frequency would work too.
this has to be bait. nobody can be this fucking dumb.
to make sure nobody does such a stupid mistake, they'll be interfering each other if you leave them on the same channel (frequency). 1, 6 or 11, never put 2 adjacent access points on the same channels.
documentation.meraki.com/@api/deki/files/1736/=be005f42-a201-461e-ba65-80428c405589?revision=1

No, a radio tower just transmits, do more power means more range, wifi transmits and receives so the bottleneck is the routing of data

As for cell towers, they are akin to massive routers and they have a cap which is shared by all connected

>4000 people explaining to 1 retard how WiFi works like he's a 5 year old

Wasn't the guy just refering to bandwidth though

ELI5 is seriously the dumbest thing I can ever think of.

>explain to me how wifi works, but I don't want any technical details that might pique my interest, I only want to be spoonfed dumb facts every CCNA learns from a book

directly correlated.
less packets send/recieved = less bandwidth. didn't think I needed to explain this.

rbt.asia/g/thread/S47497724#p47500441

I mean the guy probably wondered why the bandwidth is shared between the network machines, be they wired or wireless.

>broadcast time
Not time. If you divide the frequency spectrum between clients, you can have simultaneous communication channels. It's called Frequency Division Multiplexing.

no. it is a perfectly fine question for normal people.

but I just answered that damnit

>be they wired or wireless.
bandwidth is not shared between machines on a switched network
there's a specific term for that, Shared Medium. for wired networks it hasn't been relevant since before MAC-based switching.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_medium

>I mean the guy probably wondered why the bandwidth is shared
>less packets send/recieved = less bandwidth. didn't think I needed to explain this.
More nodes sending packets = more idle time for everyone else = less bandwidth for all
That is how the bandwidth is shared. Everyone spends more time idling, waiting for the channel to be clear.

>leddit
That site itself is stupid. Stop breathing if you browse that shit.

What the shit is this thread? This is a new low for weekend Sup Forums

Nice bait, you can stop posting any time now