Tor on Crouton

Hey Sup Forumsuys
I'm new to using crouton (honestly linux in general) and I recently got tor for my system.
However, when I run the start command it isn't actually doing what I was told it would do (open tor term and then firefox)

I honestly don't know what I'm doing, but if someone could explain it that would be awesome.

>pic related, result of command croutonversion

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1547445
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can you give more context? Tor version, and what's the term output when you open tor

I have 5.5.5 for 32bit Linux

I'll be honest, I don't know tonnes about all this, so if I do anything incredibly stupid, or ask an incredibly stupid question, don't be surpised.

you're not one of those people who confuse "tor" with "tor browser bundle", are you?

Probably, could you attempt to explain the difference?

tor by itself is a daemon, it runs in the background. if you're familiar with windows, it's like a service
tor browser bundle (tbb) is a custom version of firefox, with configuration and addons to simplify access to the tor network, it also ships with the tor software

if you don't know why you'd need the tor daemon, then you probably wanted the tor browser bundle

>using the tor browser

replace chromeos with debian 8 jessie and run for reals

Okay, so how do I tell which one I downloaded?

the tor browser bundle is much bigger, owing that it includes firefox
the daemon by itself is around 7M, tbb is around 60M

Okay, so my .tar was around 64mb
I unpackaged it, and I'm pretty sure I did that part correctly.
Given that information, can you help me figure out what's wrong with it?

what file did you get exactly? did it come with a readme? what commands did you try, and what results did you get?

tor-browser-linux32-5.5.5_en-US.tar.xz
It didn't come with a redme that I'm aware of, although when I unpacked it one might have been made in the directory it created.
I used the commands from the installation instructions on their website. I can fetch them if you want, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.
The result seemed to be that it installed properly, it didn't give me any errors at least.

>tfw you know just enough about a subject to be lost

bumping to help OP.
Does firefox run?

Yeah, firefox is great, but the .tar I unpacked didn't actually install it, I just used apt-get to get it.
I'm actually on Firefox now, it's better then the native ubuntu browser.

use apt-get to install tor or i2p

tor browser bundle is a standalone package, it updates itself as well.

the version you got it for x86 cpus, not armv7l cpus as your original screenshot shows

Wait, I can just apt-get tor? I didn't think it was in the repository!

Oh, well shit, I just downloaded the .tar from their website.

Okay, I understand part of that sentence.
I know this is an armv7l cpu, is their a distro of tor for arm?

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1547445

>I know this is an armv7l cpu, is their a distro of tor for arm?
tor daemon should be in ubuntu armv7l's repos (apt-get install tor)
you can configure the normal version of firefox to use it, i would recommend at least;
a. use a seperate firefox profile for tor usage
b. set it to not save any history
c. disable javascript (or use noscript)
d. set the proxy to localhost:9050, socks5 (so it communicates through the tor daemon)
e. in about:config, set "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" to true

Is there any chance that a tutorial exists for how to do those things?
I'm sure they're relatively simple, but like I said, I'm a little new to the whole linux thing.

those steps are all just configuring firefox, they're not linux-specific

>implying I've ever configured firefox

But, to be fair, if it isn't linux specific I should be able to do it decently well.

So once I've apt-get tor, (was I supposed to sudo that?) what do I do to start it? And does it have a front facing applet I can interact with so I can see it?

Those first two commands return delicious errors

that guide is for x86 users

Makes sense then, alright.
But seriously, once I've used apt-get to get tor, how do I start it?

it's a daemon

for that version of ubuntu i think it's;
sudo update-rc.d tor enable
sudo service tor start

Once I've started it, I just follow the rest of the steps in Yeah?

yea, i've made a quick video on how to do so if it helps

Holy shit, you are a saint user.
Thank you so much, I don't think I can even fuck this up.

np, that setup should be ok for casual usage, but if you plan to do anything your country has deemed people shouldn't be allowed to do, you really should learn more about how it all works beforehand, one mistake might be enough to render tor useless, the most obvious thing to avoid is to send any kind of personal information through a tor connection (be it manually or automatically)

I can't seem to find any way to turn off java script

You need to post in a /flt/ thread with this many questions... I generally don't get triggered and I'm mentally shouting "RTFM!" at you.

it's under the content tab in preferences
alternatively, install the noscript addon, it disables javascript by default (you can use it to selectively enable javascript on a per-host basis)

>/flt/ thread
I don't know what that is, this is the fourth time I've asked Sup Forums for anything, I usually answer questions, not ask.

Friendly Linux Thread, basically sqt with a linux focus

Not on mine, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Oh! that sounds super useful, I'll have to remember those.

It's usually a bad idea for users to not use tor browser bundle (TBB), because it is very easy to shoot yourself in the foot and leak your identity if you don't. This is especially so if they are not familiar with tor, your browser configuration, your OS, and all the things that could go wrong when combining those.

Is that ARM computer your only available option to use tor? You should consider running TBB on an intel system instead.