If im running my cpu without overclocking it, do i really need an aftermarket cpu cooler? or is the stock just fine...

if im running my cpu without overclocking it, do i really need an aftermarket cpu cooler? or is the stock just fine? only talking about air coolers not water coolers.

GF has a 3570k @stock with stock cooler in a fractal r4. Super quiet even under heavy gaming.

Fun fact: her rig which has an amd 6950 is A LOT quieter than my 5820k with a clc and my 980ti G1 Gaming. We have identical cases.

og here. ive got an i7 3370 and a sapphire r9 390. it doesnt get too loud, but it does get kinda loud sometimes out of nowhere when im just watching video. and at its normal temp i do hear noise.

If you don't mind it getting loud then there truly isn't a need for one

Probably the 390. Hawaii is loud, no matter what cooler you have. I used to own one. It died after a year.

Unless you liquid cool it it's going to be loud.

so besides lower noise level, that about all ill notice?

no you will notice A LOT with the xtra cooling power

words will process faster
websites will load faster
facebook will facebook faster

but will i be able to post memes faster?

kek. Op should get that h7 if he has a K model doe. Shit is sick if you aren't a retard that can't properly apply paste.

Memeing might fasten up to 640K MPS (memes per sekundum)

i dont have a K. youre saying its not worth it?

Probably not, but if that's idle, looks like you have high ambient temperature or low case airflow, which may make it worth it if you want guarantee the cpu will last over 5 years.

Try stress testing it with prime95 or aida64 or something. Look up the max safe temps for the i7 3770. Should shut itself off if it overheats, but better safe than sorry. See how high it gets after a while. Nothing you ever do should get it hotter than those tests, so if you can get through those, you should be fine.

And take a pic and post back, ya jabroni. And I take no liability if your shit fries. Just don't let it get too hot and it won't, okay,

well ive had it for about 3-4 years already. eh id rather not do all that. yeah its at idle. it usually jumps from 34-40 C.

Well, shit if it's been working this whole time what are you here for? If it ain't broke, don't fix it; but you probably already have electron tracing lol. No big deal if it steal works for you and you can't overclock anyway .What's the max temp you hit? Just curious now. Apparently Ivy runs hot, so anything under 80C should probably be OK.

In fact, sounds like you should be OK up to 85C. Not great, but OK.

eh i dont know, ive just been thinking about buying one lately. whats electron tracing. sounds cool. ive never really looked at max temps after i play games or anything. but i can tell you it gets kinda loud.

(slang for masturbate)

Think I fucked up the term because I'm drinking, it's electron leakage. As silicon heats up it becomes more conductive and less insulating, as a semi metal. Electrons bypass gates and pathways going through the silicon, decreasing efficiency. As they pass through, they make it easier for follow up electrons to do the same. This is what made me think of tracing, I believe. And for some reason, leaky chips are better for liquid cooling, fucked if I know why.

Even for non-overclocked CPUs aftermarket cooler is still better than any stock solution. Just because it will dissipate more heat, which is resulting in significantly lower temperatures and a big 120mm or 140mm fans with good radiator will be very efficient even at low rpms when you cannot hear them. Not to mention that you can simply buy big-ass radiator and keep your CPU cooled absolutely passively.
And a good radiator is not something that might become obsolete - you can use with any CPU you will buy in future.

imo depend son what you do OP. If you game or other high CPU activities. They come in handy. It will help temp. Not needed but lower temp is always a plus.

i just played just cause 3 for about 10 minutes and it went up to 60 C.

You're probably fine. Next time you have a long gaming session, check and see where the temp is before you quit. Two or four hours or whatever the longest you play is. If you don't get over 80C, you're gravy, from what I can tell.

but if i get close to 80 C would it be smart to get one?

If it's hanging over 80 for extended periods, it's probably not a bad idea at all. Really depends on when you plan to upgrade next and your current money situation, I suppose. Are you in the US? So I can give relevant price advice.

well i probably wont upgrade my cpu for a long time. 3-4 years as long as this one lasts me that long. yeah in the US.

It might hold out that long, not that familiar with i7s. Just dont rider her hard and put her up dry. Clean all the dust out of the heatsink and case fans/intake filters and she'll probably treat you right. That said, there are great coolers at every price point that beat stock, and as one user said, lower temps are never a bad thing.

Also, aftermarket is much quieter for better performance in general. But if the noise and temps aren't bothering you or the chip, no point in upgrading.

>mfw got a fx 8320 just weeks before amd released the overhauled much quieter stock cooler

Thing is fine and all.. it's just kind of annoying to sit right next to an airplane when playing muh vidya

yeah, i try and clean out my case at least once a month. i guess ill get the h7. was trying to decide between the H7 and the arctic i32 which is a passive cooler that only turns on during heavy use and is off during normal use.

Aftermarket coolers are a luxury if the stock works alright, of course it's nice to have.

the stock works for 99% of people. coolers aren't terrible hard to install so if the stock cooler turns out to be too hot (it won't be) or too loud (it might be) then you can buy a new cooler and install it later. i'd try the stock cooler for a while and see if you like it or not.

If you have case fans and a non shit fan profile, you won't be able to hear the h7 at all. I get less than 1C over ambient. Whoops the ever living shit out of my 212 plus (not evo to be fair, but 1-2C there) with two fans in every aspect. Height, look, perfomance, ease of installation. A pair of extra hands helps, and its actually easier to install without lifting the mobo if you have a case that allows access to the mounting backplate. But if it's between that and ramen for a few months, stick with stock man. It sounds like it isn't going thermonuclear any time too soon.

yeah and the h7 is only like $5 more than the 212 evo. which is why im considering the h7

If you were considering both at that price, defo get the h7. After trying it myself, the 212 is only worth it when it comes with a rebate to bring it to $15 or so, which is why I bought the 212 plus way back when it overlapped with the evo, I'm such a cheap frugal scottish bred bastard I bought it to save $10 bucks. But the h7 is the real deal. People don't even believe the temps, I don't know if a bomb ass Noctua at twice the price can even hold up. Plus it'd probably break my skymeme chip.

>quieter than my 5820k with a clc and my 980ti G1 Gaming. We have identical cases
To be fair if you kept the fans of your CLC stock, it's probably loud as fuck anyway. Corsair ones usually are. I have a Corsair H110i GTX and a 5820k that is basically silent. But I replaced the corsair fans with much quieter ones.

And on an unrelevant note, it had some of the prettiest, most protective, most solidly reassuring packaging I've ever encounter on any product, ever. I mean, sorry environment, but that shit had me practically pre cumming.

I know this is going to sound crazy.
But stick with me here.
The stock coolers that come bundled with CPUs are... Designed to keep those CPUs cool at their stock speeds.
Crazy, right ?

But make sure you read up on good thermal paste technique. A large rice grain sized blob that you let the heatsink spread is usually good.

85 is pushing it a little too close. Might get thermal throttling

Get a cheap H60, wonderfully quiet and cool's a FX just fine, running mine at 4.8GHz

>thermal throttling at 85C
lol no

doesnt seem too expensive, but i dont need water cooling.

It's just useful if you OC and want to keep it quiet.
Never hits over 56C with fan at 40% and 4.8GHz OC, for 65 bucks. Love it.

Personally, I don't think water cooling is worth it until you get into custom loops, which gets pricey quick and carries inherent risks.

It's Ivy Bridge. Learn to CPU

CLC's in general are overrated, with the gimmick being low noise (most of the time), and you generally need to drop a fortune on a good one that can actually keep-up with the sickest OC's, and if you're doing that, you could get a nice air cooler that keeps it just as cool, and then some, for a fraction of the price. Quality control is also all over the place

As much of a meme it is, the EVO is a great heatsink at $25, and keeps my 4770 at bay in spite of the god-awful TIM that I'm too much of a pussy to DIY myself

Stock coolers work perfectly fine, but if you aren't searching your couch for change to be able to afford your build it's worth it to throw $20 at a hyper 212 evo so that you don't need to listen to the fan pick up speed whenever you load a large webpage.

I'm not disparaging the 212 in any way. It's a great cooler. I just personally think the h7 is worth the extra $5-10 dollars. I'd like to see it go on sale more even after buying it, but I can't blame them for not doing so with the performance it provides at that price point.

My room is probably around 68-69F right now, if I had to guess. 65F outside and just opened my windows, 67F on the floor below. This thing cools beyond my wildest imagination for $35.

>He got a FX
Lol.

Unless my sensors are fucking up, but it seems to be consistently 0.5C above ambient at idle. Still won't completely rule it out, because I'm still partially in shock.

Got that exact cooler a month ago. Perfect for my mid case. Replaced the stock 4770k. It whined for a day or two which worried me but is dead silent now. Also added a noctua 120 to the rear and dropped my idle by 30c (my old paste was cooked) Stabilised my frame rates which surprised me, my cpu must have been bottling more than I thought.