/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", lightweight
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/thinkpad/led-backlight.shtml
ebay.com/itm/Original-Digitizer-Stylus-Pen-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X60T-X61T-X200-X210T-X220T-/400935408034
youtube.com/watch?v=DfnIFpuPUP4
kijiji.ca/v-laptops/kitchener-waterloo/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-intel-i5-8gb-ram-in-mint-condition/1162732650?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
ebay.ca/itm/LENOVO-ThinkPad-T420-Lenovo-ThinkPad-Docking-Station-Type-4337-AS-IS-/291738172163?hash=item43ecf33b03:g:OnIAAOSwGYVW9DXD
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/thinkpad/led-panel.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do thinkpads have membrane keyboards or scissor switches?

What are some cool add-ons - hardware and software - to a newly refurb x220??

scissor.

A reminder that LED backlight kits exist for CCFL thinkpads:
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/thinkpad/led-backlight.shtml

2 questions.
1.Can i use 2 SSDs on a X220?
2.What should i tell the seller when i tell him to check if its a TN or IPS panel?

Hi guys, anyone knows why I'm getting these errors after the thinkpad logo at boot time, before grub loads, it lets me boot without problem and if I reboot they don't appear

You've got built-in peripherals conflicting in the PCI BIOS setup. Linux and Windows can both rearrange that on the fly once they boot, so you won't see it again on warm boot.

Yes - You'll need to buy an mSATA ssd and a regular 2.5" 7mm thin SATA SSD.

Not sure what to ask for an IPS though - I bought an x220 tablet one and all tablets have IPS, there's literally not an option for a TN tablet.

I'd love to get a daylight kit for my 14.1" T60 SXGA+ screen. I'll have to contact this guy and see if he'd make me a kit for a T-series. I'm assuming the 12" strip for a X-series wouldn't fit, even if (maybe?) the inverter would.

>I'd love to get a daylight kit for my 14.1" T60 SXGA+ screen. I'll have to contact this guy and see if he'd make me a kit for a T-series. I'm assuming the 12" strip for a X-series wouldn't fit, even if (maybe?) the inverter would.
Neither would fit, but he said he's adding T-series soon.

A little reminder of check you batteries for the Lenovo Battery Recall. you could be lucky as me

literally bought the tablet for the IPS panel. even it has this stupid image retention issue, it kilometers better than the TN on my old X200

>Model M
Very nice.

I want to replace the N-1000 WLAN card on my T520. What exactly does the whitelist allow for? Is it only options that came stock? If not, any recommendations?

Hey /tpg/, do you know if this pen would be fully compatible with my X220t? It looks like it should but idk

ebay.com/itm/Original-Digitizer-Stylus-Pen-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X60T-X61T-X200-X210T-X220T-/400935408034

Is it normal for t420's to have a low "buzzing" fan noise compared to lets say a "whirring" noise?

>2.What should i tell the seller when i tell him to check if its a TN or IPS panel?
Ask him to take a picture from an angle. You will know right away.

Thinkpad-toting slav here.

Got myself a X230 (i5-3320m/4GB/320HDD/TN) a couple of days ago, along with Ultrabase Series 3 for ~$250. I wish it had IPS but can't really complain for the price.

Charging jack is busted (already ordered a spare), but other t an that it's in a very good condtion, 6-cell battery is mint (3% wear), still has a bit of warranty left (expires 06-01-2016). Already installed extra 4GB 1600Mhz, swapped the hard drive with 120GB SSD I had in my old Ideapad, now waiting for power jack. Also thinking of buying 60GB mSATA SSD (just for a OS, trying to keep it cheap) for ~$30 since I have to take it apart to replace power connector anyway.

pic related.

Latitudefag here, I have a free pcie slot in my system, is there anything I can put in there? Also planning on getting a battery slice along with a new battery so putting a GPU in might be viable.

>2016
>not using an x200 with libreboot with fingerless gloves on

ask him to provide machine type model, it's located under the battery, next to serial number.

You can then enter the MTM on lenovo support site and see if it says IPS in model desxription.

allow vendor ids from lelnovo, you know.

it will work perfectly, i had one of these "dubious origin" pen i bought for my x60t and works fine, and yes, it works on my x220t as well (the original pen from the x60t also works fine)

thanks based user, i'll give it a try

I like the penryn thinkpads be cause they have the old IBM style keyboard buttons and mouse buttons.

T420 or T430?

T430 if you dont mind chiclet, but I hear you can bios mod and swap a T420 keyboard into it. But the T420 is a damn good deal and hangs in there performance wise.

T430 and swap the keyboard for the T420 one.
if you are too lazy for this, just go for the T420.

I have with me a t40 with a Pentium m and a whole 1gb of ram what os you recommend? currently it has widows xp

What's the problem of T430's keyboard?

>What's the problem of T430's keyboard?
Get the T430 then, you clearly won't mind.

see this

The difference between each keyboard is very noticeable? I live in Macau, Thinkpads aren't common here, so i've never tested neither.

>Macau
dude. you literally can cross the bay and find Thinkpads on Hong Kong.

i have to import them from USA

Totally different layout and switch design. T430 feels good but the layout is not on the same level

i'm having kind of an annoying issue on my thinkpad x220

would this be software or hardware related? whenever i wake my x220 from sleep the wifi doesnt work for a while, unless i turn the networking switch on the side on and off. even then, that doesnt work all the time, its really sporadic. it's pretty annoying.

think i just may need a new wifi card?

What OS do you Sup Forumsuys have on your ThinkPads?

i have arch on my X60t and i works marvels. everything from thinkpad features to screen rotation works

i had arch on the X220T and it was...terrible. im planning to move to OpenSUSE on it.

Could be all kinds of things, mpice connection, the card, the switch or something deeper. Those wifi cards are cheap so it worth a shit

what's the best card i can get for my x220? there wouldnt happen to be any cool aftermarket AC cards or anything, right heh

oh alright, good to know. i just ordered an x220, thankfully not T because i was planning to try out arch once i get a bit more comfortable with loonigs and I am guessing that this will make it easier to set up.

Well, It isn't so simple, I work and study a lot, can't just look for thinkpads on Hong Kong. I'm struggling just to find a seller.

By the way, where do you live?

Is it easy to change T430's keyboard?

most of my gripes with arch on the X220T are related to the screen rotation, touchscreen and wacom rotation and the mess the KDE team have on that distro.

heres a video of my X60T pimping the autorotation for the wacom screen

youtube.com/watch?v=DfnIFpuPUP4

How the hell do I get my X220t to do that shit on wangblows?

no idea. i guess should be some app to to do that but i cannot be sure.

on linux is achieved by a daemon monitoring HDAPS output, sending Xrand commands to rotate the screen and relying on the wacom app from KDE to auto orient the digitizer .

the thing is. i sort of get the same daemon to workaround the bullshit lelnovo reimplemented on the SMAPI interface, and got the screen to rotate, but then the Wacom app seems to be broken for KDE5 so no luck there.

so in other news, i managed to fry the Audio Device on my X220T. stop working on linux, and now on Windows it also says "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the device for this driver"

welp, glad i ordered another.

I just tried the APS as some of the lelnovo forums users suggested. Apparently the accelerometer is shit or something because APS+Tablet Shortcut Menu ain't doing dick other than always rotate to portrait when it's folded into a tablet (happens with just Tablet Shortcut Menu).

How long does your battery last on the x220? Do you have the 6c or 9c battery?

Nvidia mobility modder is the best thing ever.

>NVS 160M overclocks to almost 2x stock frequency
>temps stable, battery freq cutoff and speed stepping still works
>45 FPS in Trackmania United PC2 benchmark

vtec just kicked in yo

Noticing that trackpoint.

>tfw waiting for your 9cell in the mail

I bought a thinkpad off ebay. It smells like burnt popcorn. How do I get rid of this smell?

Yo I see you are in universe sandbox. You should check out Space Engine.

>smells like popcorn
>get rid of it
eat it.

Also, fun discovery on the E6400
Holding Fn+Shift and typing "15324", afterwards pressing Fn+R, pops up a BIOS control panel that allows you to adjust fan speed and CPU throttle manually, from any OS, at any time. This works on all E6x00-series machines.

Space Engine doesn't allow me to blow up South America with the Moon.

burnt popcorn. It doesnt smell nice. kind of like burnt out capacitors. It works fine tho

Very cool, you've been finding more about these things than I have in a year and a half of using them.

alright, if that's what you're looking to do.

Yeah, I get autistic with the research when I get a new machine. I want to know everything about it. All this week at work, I couldn't wait to get home and do something with it.

Luckily, the 6400s were popular enough that there's some good info out there.

Which kit should one use for those QXGA panels? And where such panel can be found?

It only takes about 300,000 years for the crust to stop glowing and the plants and atmosphere to come back.

Oh nice so humanity finally died. Maybe now nature can develop organisms that aren't ignorant idiots that contribute nothing to the planet.

Could I use a x220t as a drawing tablet with photoshop?
Anyone with one have anything to say on this?
I never used a drawing tablet before, so I can't imagine the 256 pressure compared to something much higher.
Not sure what questions to ask. Glad the thing's fairly cheap on ebay.

How is the 1900x600 Intel HD Display compared to the 1366x768? What are the reasons for choosing one over the other? Can the former play 720p HD video content?

Which of these the better deal?

kijiji.ca/v-laptops/kitchener-waterloo/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-intel-i5-8gb-ram-in-mint-condition/1162732650?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

>1900x600
>8GB RAM

ebay.ca/itm/LENOVO-ThinkPad-T420-Lenovo-ThinkPad-Docking-Station-Type-4337-AS-IS-/291738172163?hash=item43ecf33b03:g:OnIAAOSwGYVW9DXD

>1366x768
>4GB RAM
>no battery

I'm going to be using this primarily for browsing the web and watching video. Does the amount of RAM matter for that?

What's the point of the clit mouse?
I run a t420 with xubuntu and never find any need for the little guy.
When do you guys find yourselves using it?

A T420 is gonna handle 720/1080p playback no matter what, it's a total beast, and the 900p display will give you more screen real estate. 4GB of ram is enough to get by for your needs, but I'd suggest upgrading to 8GB, that's the sweet spot.

The resolution of the first one is listed as 1900x600, which I've never seen before. Is this an error?

Is the t530 just a bigger t430? Did I get memed?

Not an error

>Pale Moon
ma brotha

It's an error, the screen res is 1600x900 on the high end one.

is a joker.

That UBARUCHANG :-DDDDdddds

Guys, what is a reasonable price for an i7 thinkpad x220, with IPS? Im in the Netherlands and I am really hesitated to sell my ASUS 15.6" craptop (one year, want at least 550€ for it) old and buy a 12.5" thinkpad.

Hi /tpg/ so I asked for this
and was redirected here for advice.
Is there any?

Guys I think I just saw one of you in my class.
The guy sat next to me, was skeleton mode, long messy hair, shitty long neckbeard, glasses, and an ancient thinkpad with linux running on it.

Link please?

I bought my LED upgrade kit from www.iccfl.com

Note that you should follow people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/thinkpad/led-panel.shtml guide and just cut CCFL cable, or you will end up dirty result when disassembling whole LCD screen to get light going correct place.

So this ain't "clean way" to do it, even you were able to remove CCFL without cutting anything.

Example of failed installation, note how top part is much dimmer.

Of course I was able to get it working, with fingerprints on panel. So at least remember to use gloves.

Getting a T420 for ocasional shitposting, recreative programming, web browsing and movies.

Would putting a SSD on it a waste of money?

;)

There is a T510 that is cheaper than the T420 I'm looking at. Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

I was thinking of buying a t420 for school since I'm going to be starting in august.
I've heard a lot of people complaining about the screen, but I'm only going to be using it for web browsing and word processing, so viewing angles/color accuracy isn't very important to me.
Is the t420 a good deal for like $220?

If it's the 1600x900 screen then sure

What's wrong with 1366 x 768?
All my laptops have been 1920 x 1080 so I've never really used any other resolutions, but like I said I don't need a pretty display since I'm not going to be watching or playing anything on it.

1366x768 is pretty cramped for a 14-inch screen. It's not terrible, but why would you limit yourself like that? Even if you're just doing word processing and web browsing, it's good to have that extra screen real estate. It's about as small as you can get while still being able to use two windows side by side.

The extra work space is worth it, otherwise grab a small laptop that manages 700

The Acer Aspire E1 I was using before it stopped working had a 15.6" monitor. The Thinkpad I'm looking at has a 14.1" monitor. Am I going to miss extra 1.5" if I get it? Is it worth getting a 15" thinkpad?

Alright guys, I found one with 1600 x 900 resolution for less money.
Thanks for the advice.

How is the battery life on a t420 and is there a significant difference in battery between windows and linux?

Text is rendered better at higher resolutions
OR
you can have smaller fontsizes while still being readable

Crucial for programming.

Other than the ssd ive already installed, are their any upgrades i can make to my x200 (non-tablet)

Depending on what you use it for

Killing yourself is a good upgrade.

Shitposting and ftl:faster than light

Overkill, then.

IPS panel.

Thank you.

install linux

I recommend mint Xfce (easy to use if you're used to winblows) but it's best to look around for yourself

What's the best upgrade for a X61t