What ebook readers are you using Sup Forums?

What ebook readers are you using Sup Forums?

Currently looking into buying one, however I have no idea about them, I am looking into something with Wi-fi and the ability to read pirated pdfs,ebup and whatever else I download that is in a readable format.

Also is there any actual benefit from the e-ink or is a tablet just cheaper and better?

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=kobo§ion=&is=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Paperwhite is the preferred reader of Linus Torvalds, it's great

e-ink is readable in all lights. Well frontlit ones are. Like the kobo glo or the kindle paperwhite.
If you're looking for piracy, the kobo series is the best option. I use a Kobo Glo and have done for a long time- the kindles only support .mobi. You can convert to mobi, and it's not difficult, but you're also supporting amazon.

Anyway, e-ink makes text look really nice, and acts like paper. It also is good for battery life since it doesn't use any power at all to retain an image- it's not actively maintained. It only takes power to change the image, making it great for text.

Paper white is the only viable E-reader

Made a similar thread some time ago. I was gifted a kindle and initially disgusted by the ads and how you are tied to Amazon. However converting and uploading books with calibre is straightforward. I downloaded lots of books that I own as a hardcopy and the whole process is fast. I'd still get the version without ads if I were you.

>I am looking into something with Wi-fi and the ability to read pirated pdfs,ebup and whatever else I download that is in a readable format.

Just get a paperwhite and root it, it can do anything

I am in eastern Europe, if that changes anything.

However seriously, there are amazon ads on the kindles? Was looking into the Paperwhite, however this sounds really shity.

Currently looking at Kobo Aura H2O if anyone has exp with it.

Just root it and remove the ads. Or pay ten dollars more for the ad free version (then root it anyway)

kobo aura masterrace

What is the benefit of rooting a kindle?
Epub isn't because it is too easy to convert.

When will they finally create a A4 ebook reader?!

I am fed up printing all my research papers for years now, but I am not willing to read them on a little shit screen

An old Kindle, because it's the first thing I got and it hasn't broken yet.

paperwhite, it's perfect. why the hell amazon keeps changing a design and coming up with new bullshit i'll never know. get the 2nd or 3rd gen one

i bought the ad version (it was the only available version here) then bought a 20$ (iirc) amazon gift card to remove the ads.

nothing. just put books on it and read them. i dunno what the fuck people want with these things honestly.

Kobo Aura, works great. Dunno how to describe how good it is because it's the only one I've ever used, but it's not a frustrating experience like I was expecting an e-reader to be.

If it's anything like the Aura I have, it's great.
Gestures work well, search function is fast so finding a book from the 500 or so I have there is not a problem, and I sync my stuff with calibre.

Kobo Glo HD.
It's bretty gud. I like the high res screen.

There is a giftcard just to remove the ads from the device you bought to read books? This is strait bs, how come no one called them out on this?

You can just root the device, not like it's hard to do.
Most people don't care though.

I use a Kindle Paperwhite and it's fantastic.

no it's a gift card to use on amazon on anything you want, but since they sell two versions of each device, one 20$ cheaper and subsidized by ads you can upgrade it to non-ad version by paying the difference.

Or you could just get a kobo ereader and not worry about ads, rooting or conversion.

Paperwhite has the worst hardware of any e-reader I have ever used.

It is a creaky plastic mess, with a touchscreen that barely works and a blotchy, terrible front light.

The only reason to consider Kindle is if you want to use Kindle store. It ties in great with pc and mobile apps. But then again you have to pay physical book prices for everything you want to sync.

Go Kobo or Sony (used can be had dirt cheap).

Idk why you would need wifi; i have a kindle (i think 5th or 6th gen) and i transfer pirated books from computer. I always use the kindle in airplane mode and im not missing anything - it does what I want: display books on a pleasant eink screen

The ability to check on a webpage whenever I want seems pretty cool my family.

Kindle browser is like 1999 dumb phone bad.

nah f.am i got paperwhite2 and its got none of those issues

Using an ereader as a browser is going to be terrible. Keep a tablet/phone/laptop nearby if you want to look up things online.

Rooted paperewhite. Works fine all my pirated books and Chinese picture stories

I have had a paperwhite for a week now. It's pretty good, but I can't compare it to the other ones available, as I have no experience with them.

The Paperwhite with 300 dpi. I don't suggest buying the more expensive ones because their features feel gimmicky.
You don't need the automatic brightness adjustment really, or the new Oasis cover (unless you really like leather I guess). It's not like they have faster processors or better definition.

Use smatphone ofor that, or go home and use your computer. The kindle browser is not very good. Also if you get one without a keyboard it is a pain to write

Also without connection, Amazon can't remotely remove your 1984 copy

is there any ebook-shop-DRM which can't be DeDRM'd (other than crapple's)? So I can stay clear of those.

>there are amazon ads on the kindles
Yes, but that's the deal with the cheaper Kindles. Ads for lower price. But since you're a Western Europer you can send a question to the support team with a request to disable ads since you don't reside in the US and browsing them seems irrelevant to you. I did just that and I have a ads-free Kindle PW3.

>What is the benefit of rooting a kindle?
Adding some functions that Kindles don't have normally, like reading epubs natively. However, not all Kindles are easily rootable. This is especially true at the moment with Paperwhite 3 until haxxors find a hole in the software.

I have a rooted Nook Glowlight, first gen.

It's amazing how much battery life you can save when you root it, I read 2 books around 200 pages each with only two charges and always putting it in sleep mode.

The Mango app is pretty good but the screen is not so sharp for images but with some effort some fun can be had.

400 pages with two charges is shit, I usually read about 1000 before I have to recharge my paperwhite

I just got a Kobo Touch 2.0 a week ago. No complaints here.

Works a lot better than my previous ebook reader (Kindle).

There's several commercially available e-readers with much larger displays. However, they're niche products for professionals so they're really expensive.

I got a Pocketbook Sense. It's absolutely lovely, responds rapidly to input and some of the included functions are actually quite useful.

Used to have kobo aura, now have paperwhite. Slightly prefer the aura still, because better screen, more consistent backlight, sleep cover, and hardware button for the light (that, by the way, you can actually turn completely off, unlike with the kindle). But the difference is not that big.

I got a tablet from china with an IPS screen and 2K resolution for $200 that runs windows. I've used an E-ink reader before but I really don't miss it.

Kobo glo HD or go home

Out of these kobos, which one would you guys recommend?

uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=kobo§ion=&is=1

These ones

I prefer my H2O to my old kindle 3G because it has expandable storage and a decent backlight. Rakuten's botnet also seems to be smaller than Amazon's, so there's that too.

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite for ~120€ and cannot complain. Read ~100 pirated books and still loving it.

if only :(

You retard, the Oasis is the best one because of its awesome ergonomics. The previous kindles are pieces of shit you can't hold comfortably.

I was going to but the Oasis but then I saw the price.

Didn't know it would cost so much. This is jewy even for bezos.

(Paper)white master race reporting in

you can (or ould, product page keeps changing) buy the "ad-supported" version for a little less, then never give it your WiFi passkey (or use airplane mode 24/7) - it will never download the ads and remain ad-free like the more expensive version

Also, use Calibre for ebook management and moving to/from Kindle from your desktop

Just get a cheap tablet.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 for ebook reading.

I read pirated shit, as well as stuff I get off Google Play.

I think I paid around $55 bucks for mine.

Google Play Books isn't all that bad of a reader app.

I really don't know why Sup Forums of all places is suggesting an ereader you have to take extra steps to avoid ads on a product you bought and convert books into a format it can read over something like a kobo which reads pretty much anything, even .mobi, acts like a usb storage device, so you can drag and drop files on it regardless of what OS you use and doesn't try to jew you out of money to stop displaying ads

Yeah, it's perfect for reading text in the daylight and has an amazing month-long battery life.

I just use a tablet with twilight / f.lux now. E readers are still shit to read with in the dark, the backlight just makes it blinding white.

Ereaders have finely adjustable backlights. If you turn it on and it's too bright, turn it down

Paperwhite has leather cover.

Mine arrived heavily damaged. Thanks Amazon.

Yea, it is almost $400 here after case and shit.

I'd rather shell out the extra $300 and get the Sony 13".

That is retarded.

The whole reason to get a kindle is the awesome kindle store integration. If you are going to just pirate books you'd save money and get cobsiderably better hardware picking up a Kobo.

Fantastic, I use it for reading books but I really love it for the pocket integration. Basically I use a chrome-extension called pocket to quickly add any political articles I like to a library for me to read on my e-reader. It's great.

Also 6.8 inch screen is wonderful.