GTX 1080

GTX 1080

>"When Huang pulled up the GPU's stats, it was running at 2.1 GHz and the memory was running at 5.5 GHz. That's faster than any GPU today, except for one of its last generation cards with liquid nitrogen cooling. Most remarkable? The 1080 was just just relying on air cooling. It was running at 67 celsius"

>$700

What's the catch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n6kBCoDOakE
kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/hitman-dx12-support-is-broken-for-some-but-theres-a-temp-fix/
pcgamer.com/hitman-directx-12-support-broken-in-latest-update/
n4g.com/news/1876166/hitman-directx-12-mode-is-unstable-causes-crashes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What's the catch?
Sup Forums will be filled with buttmad amd posters for another product cycle

The catch is the 980 cost $550 and now you're being double jewed

Early DX12 results looks pretty meh

>2016
>16 nm

no freedom

The catch is that none of it is real yet. We didn't see it running on stage. We don't have any verified performance numbers. A lot of Huang's bluster from the press conference has been revealed as marketing BS, like his line about it having "twice the power of Titan X", later clarified to mean in extremely specific VR scenarios.

The whole thing stinks of huge letdown. Good thing Nvidia got all the tech reviewers onside by giving them an all expenses paid trip to Texas. They even flew the guy from TweakTown all the way from Australia to be there.

I wonder if there's as much oc headroom left as with 980 ti, which ocs really well.

You may end up paying a lot more money for what is essentially highly factory oc'd 980 ti with some extra support for VR.

The same goes for 1070. To me they look pricey and probably not worth upgrading from 980 ti or even 980. 1080 ti is probably really fast but I'm betting it'll cost $700+ or something. I mean...you can get a whole computer for the price of one 1080/ti...

>What's the catch?

that it is only 10% faster than a 980ti, and not even that if you overclock.

And once AMD comes out with Polaris 10, they'll slash the prices in half.

Did they compare it to last gen cards at stock or oc?

Stock of course. They want that gap as large as possible, so comparing it to a 980 Ti at 1500MHz would be stupid.

No hardware async compute, probably performs like a dog in DX12. Will get crippled once volta comes out.

You know, the usual nvidia business procedures.

Reviews supposed to be coming out on May 17, guess we'll see how many truths and lies there are on that day

It's going to be such a shit show from all of the hype they raised when the reviews roll in.

That's equiv to a 300mhz OC from 1.2ghz

ie what could already be done.

>b-but muh numbers
Yeah and Pentium 4 sold at 3.8ghz

For sure, but atleast we'll finally get some numbers regarding whether the comparisons with the 980 SLI and Titan X are with the 2.1GHz or normal clocks... and hell, if the 67C they got in the presentation is true from air cooling and not having some AC blowing air directly to it

My guess is it was open bench in a fridge surrounded by Delta fans

Just wait for Volta then and you should be fine. That's my recommendation.

both are only a 10% improvement over their predecessors in most video games

>review come out
>shit performance
B-but the driver is not mature enough!

>What's the catch?
it's fucking shit
>muh 8 jigguhurtz
doesn't mean anything

>that AMD butthurt in this thread

/thread

>1.2GHz + 300MHz = 2.1GHz

>DX12 IS JUST SHIT!

does anyone know if it'll be usable on win7 64?
as i've not seen anything about what os it's compatible with

>What's the catch?

gimped memory bandwidth.

When reviews come out, look carefully at exactly what scenarios are being tested.
For early access reviews, news sources are usually "gently encouraged" to focus their comparisons in certain directions.

The 1080/1070 will look notably better than 980Ti only in a small subset of potential use cases.

no chance

for DX11, almost certainly.
for DX12, definitely not. (thanks, Redmond kikes)
for Vulkan, maybe if you're lucky

>clock speed
>relevant

>What's the catch?

It's lithed on 16nm vs 28nm for previous generation.

Not that user, but that's exactly what I will do.

ye well it's the os compatibility that's most important

well, Window 8 is dogshit, and it's extremely unlikely that they would support only the latest OS version, free update shit or no.

1.5ghz / 1.2ghz = 2.1ghz / 1.7ghz

Nvidia releases drivers all the way down to XP and they all include improvements, the 750Ti which is one of the most popular budget cards is more used in China and they all run XP there.

paper launch

>paying top dollar for an overclocked version of last gen cards
>still no hardware async compute
>still low dx12 performance
>as low as 90fps while playing single player doom @ 1080p with a couple of particle effects on screen
hahahaha ishygddt

>paying top dollar for an overclocked version of last gen cards
Die-shrink and different architecture, dumbass
>still no hardware async compute
It has an even more powerful software async support than GCN's hardware async capabilities according to the benchmarks from AMD-sponsored AotS DX12 tests.
>still low dx12 performance
Slaughters any card at DX12 and trades blows with the $1500 Radeon Pro card.
>as low as 90fps while playing single player doom @ 1080p with a couple of particle effects on screen
Never happened, faggot

the "Air cooling" didn't specify if the cooler was aftermarket or not, or if the overclock is typical form reference designs/coolers

b8

There's no catch, there's no catch, OK? Da GTX 1080 is DA best gpu ever made, it's da best gpu ever made and it's so powerful it's irresponsible.

>different architecture
maxwell die shrink counts as a new arch? awesome shilling dude
>It has an even more powerful software async support than GCN's hardware
no, just... just no...
>Slaughters any card at DX12
"can't wake up"
>Never happened, faggot
youtube.com/watch?v=n6kBCoDOakE
pic related, and that's on vulkan!

in summation, very bad damage control, please re-read "how to shill" papers your agent has handed to you or you might lose your compensation

There are no aftermarket coolers for this card right now so they had to use the reference one.

The "over clock" was the boost clock, it goes higher than stated on the bios if the chipset and asic quality and temperature allow it.
the boost clock advertised is just the guaranteed boost, all cards have different max boost clocks

>dat sick performance

can't fucking wait to get my hands on one.

do we have evidence of the card having a reference cooler? EVGA usually gets first dibs on GPU cooler design from NVidia, wouldn't be surprised it the show unit was running a pre production cooler.

as for the boost clock, what do you think the typical boost will be? usually NVidia chips do slightly better than the advertised guaranteed boost, with some golden chips going into crazy clock speeds.

>150fps at 1080p on an indoor static scenario is awesome performance
Sweet jesus, you "guys" are beyond damage control now? Resorting to ignoring reality from now on?

Hey mods clean this shit up, please!

why you mad bro? i can say whatever the fuck i want. you got a problem?

i'll be buying 2 1070 in SLI. you gonna cry now? awww :((

Evidence? vendors usually take one or two months to release cards with aftermarket coolers for new GPU lines ups.
A bunch of companies (Gigabyte, Zotac Chill) have announce their 1080 cards and all use reference cooler.

as for boost, aftermarket cards will have higher base clocks and higher boost too as they come overclocked by factory, boost is not a conventional overclock, it s very conservative, a normal overclock could nail you higher clocks by almost 100mhz or more, My GTX 970 does 1405 boost and can OC to 1519mhz with the same voltage.

>Slaughters any card at DX12 and trades blows with the $1500 Radeon Pro card.

In Ashes of Singularity the 1080 gets lower score than a single Fury X.

The NVidia presentation highly overstated how powerful the 1070/1080 is. All the benchmarks leaked so far do not show the amount of performance boost they said there.

They'll probably end up gimping drivers again for the 1080 to really get 70% on the Titan X.

>amd

Incoming damage control.

>All the benchmarks leaked so far
Homie, gonna need some sauce with that nugget.

>i can suck how many cocks as i want. you got a problem?
Nah man, it's cool. Just don't get near me, I don't wanna catch that shit too, it rottens your brain and hinders your ability to think properly and act like a normal human adult.

>AMD sponsored game

well whaddya know.

>it's ok when amd does it
>stardock devs admit to only be optimizing for gcn and their compute engines

do we have any other cards performance while the game is uncapped? I wouldn't call it bad until we see those numbers
my 290X seems fine driver wise. did they fuck up the 390 specifically?
that was why I mentioned the card's cooler being preproduction. as in, not announced yet.

>being this MAD

awwwwwwwwwwww is the amd babby getting all salty :(

boo hoo :'((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

would you both shut up?

We got 3dmark scores, and the 1080 shows up on the Ashes of Singularity benchmark board.

The 1080 is something like 20% better than a stock 980ti, with OC the 980ti equals the 1080. In Ashes, the 1080 scores a bit faster than a Fury X (depending on resolution, in 1080p it is better, in 4k it is worse).

The difference is when Nvidia sponsors a game, you get Arkham Knight.

I'm currently using a GTX 760 4GB overclocked. Should I upgrade when the new cards release non-reference?

that's still pretty damn good for the price
nowhere near the hype graphs they were churning out, but still worth the money.

mate, look at my original post . i was commenting on that top performance which is totally unrelated to none of the fanboy shit. this other guy is clearly buttblasted im not some poorfag indian like him and can afford top level hardware instead of some 5 year old curry stain rebranded hardware. you can see the salt in his posts. its fucking glorious.

repends on what you're looking at
1070? yeah grab them as soon as the non-reference designs come out
1080? are you buying for the top card, or is it just within your budget? if it's your pick due to budget, go non-reference 1080, if it's "want top card" buy now or buy when the Ti comes out

Is it worth upgrading from my r9 270x to a 1070?

>bought a 970 for $270 shortly after release.
>3.5GB became public.
>pangs of regret washed over me.

I only play at 1080p anyway so it isn't that much of a problem.

Not going to upgrade until the 3rd or 4th gen of this round of VR anyway so by that time the gtx 1270 will be the sweet spot card to get.

>What's the catch?
Absolutely no hw async

I thought async was included in the press documents after launch?

it does support hardware async compute. a few of the youtubers at the event have confirmed it

> muh projections: the post

strange how it wasn't mentioned in the event
I blame Tom

they've been bought familia

>can't handle facts
>resorts to shitposting
>irrelevant sad pic
>bunch of smiles in salty text
>still thinks he is succeeding in whatever
I'm the mad one? Please take your pills...

>mfw I buy a 980ti or two for $400 in the coming weeks as Nviditards try to upgrade

[I don't have many reaction faces, so here's a picture of a girl who was probably BLACKED]

where are the facts? all i see is butthurt :(
>mfw my purchases are making and amdrone consider suicide because his beloved amd have lost a valuable customer

feels good

>3dmark scores
boyyyyy

>What's the catch?
None
Its a MAJOR die shrink the fuck did you expect?
AMD parts are out next month
This
It is tweaked and die shrunk Maxwell which didn't scale worth a shit with overclocks anyways.

>tfw still using a 660ti

>The difference is when Nvidia sponsors a game, you get Arkham Knight.

what about hitman?

kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/hitman-dx12-support-is-broken-for-some-but-theres-a-temp-fix/

pcgamer.com/hitman-directx-12-support-broken-in-latest-update/

n4g.com/news/1876166/hitman-directx-12-mode-is-unstable-causes-crashes

what how you blame arkham knight on nvidia and you blame hitman on the devs. double standards everywhere.

watch*

>youtube.com/watch?v=n6kBCoDOakE

>my purchases are making and amdrone consider suicide
Are we even on the same reality plane? How did those posts led you to believe in that? Can you assess your surroundings? You might need some autism pills.

fallout, just cause, any assasin's creed game. In fact the new tomb raider runs much worse than the previous amd backed one. There are more games which run like dicks thans acceptably on gameworks than otherwise in the big budget titles.

Fuck me guys should I upgrade to a 1080 or buy another 780 sc acx? I find it incredibly hard to believe that the 1080 blows dual 980s out of the water. I'm looking for top performance on games like switcher 3

Depends on what you're running..? 4GB is getting slim these days.

Feels good not being an AMDpoorbabby

How is a bug preventing the game from launching on some setups that will soon be patched and doesn't effect DX11 (Nvidia cards cant do dx12 worth a shit anyways) in anyway comparable to smearing tessellation on everything to make every game you touch a slideshow.

In b4 AMD fanboy XD

I own a 780ti, Gimping is real.

One would think what hardware the game was built on would influence how it would play. Since some companies don't know what optimization is anymore it could be safe to say it's more about lazy devs outside of the instances of obvious hardware bias.

>probably
Maebe

>150 fps

there's the true fact. feel free to show me any video of the fury x hitting 150 fps om doom maxed out.

>Are we even on the same reality plane? How did those posts led you to believe in that? Can you assess your surroundings? You might need some autism pills.

he's still mad lmao

similar scenario here. thinking of grabbing a 2nd 290 as their prices are falling, but two 290s is ~980ti performance, and at that point, I should probably just sell my current 290 and grab a 1070/490

I'd say unless you get a killer deal, ditch the 780 and get a new card. a 1060 will beat your 780 and probably cost the same as a used 780

780s are only 3gb

>One would think what hardware the game was built on would influence how it would play. Since some companies don't know what optimization is anymore it could be safe to say it's more about lazy devs outside of the instances of obvious hardware bias.

i agree 100%, yet these threads are all full of retards who instead of criticizing the devs, they instead blame nvidia. they have some massive conspiracy going on which is full on double standards

>nvidia ask devs to cater their game towards things nvidia hardware is better at
>nvidia are jews
>they're gimping amd

>amd asks devs to cater their game towards things amd hardware is better at
>its ok amd are the good guys
>its ok when amd do it

and when the devs fuckup on an nvidia sponsored game its nvidia's fault. when the devs fuck up on an amd sponsored game its got nothing to do with amd

double standards. double fucking standards. fanboys are the worst i swear. i can't even have a decent conversation about anything. if i post a fucking speccy on Sup Forums with a 970 or any nvidia card all i'll get is >970 >nvidia xD >goyworks >sponsoring jews.

fucking hell

and i own a 280x, whats your point?

>fury x hitting 150 fps on a single player closed arena game using next a gen api at 1080p
Pretty sure you can find *multiplayer* BF4 with Mantle 1080p videos on YouTube with more than that.

>lmao
That's just sad...

>itt: damage control getting out of hand

I'm with you, brother. No reason to upgrade as long as I'm playing @ 1080p/60fps. I'd like to move up to 1440p/144hz when there is a card that can handle it.

You guys running like 1080p gayman or something? My 970 currently hard caps at the 3.5GB mark playing things like The Division or Paragon at 1440p. 4GB cards just ain't gonna cut it anymore.

I'm personally biassed to AMD at the moment, but more because I don't care for Nvidia's current business practices. There's shit I don't like AMD doing either, but that's just where I'm at right now. Things change.

> Pretty sure you can find *multiplayer* BF4 with Mantle 1080p videos on YouTube with more than that.
>moving the goalposts
>using an xbox 360 game as an example
>he has no video proof of a fury x getting 150 fps on doom

welp. atleast you tried

wait till faggot start getting cucked with 1080 and selling their gtfuckme970 3.5gb, then get two of then used fuckers dirt cheap and sli

I think this is the first time we've seen Doom with an uncapped framerate, period. The beta was locked to 60

>BF4
>xbox 360 game

BF4 is one of the most popular games out there today, so obviously it's going to be used as /the/ benchmark for videocards