If Linux is so good, why is every Linux DE a clone of Windows or OSX?

If Linux is so good, why is every Linux DE a clone of Windows or OSX?

Other urls found in this thread:

dev.maxxdesktop.co/trax/maxxdesktop
asktog.com/menus/designMenu.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Tognazzini
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because it is difficult to come up with a new DEs that people would like.

because windows 95 nailed it so hard noone can figure out how to top it even over 20 years later

Just like cars.

because you're free to make one yet you choose to shit post anime pictures on technology discussion boards instead.

there are non-windows/osx DE's/WM's, it's just the popular ones are like because that's what people are used to

Can you give me some examples? I'd like to see some unconventional DE's/WM's!

>every

no, only the popular ones

Something something GNU/Linux

Why was windows 7 a ripoff of kde4, windows 8 like a fischer price version of gnome 3, and windows 10 like a kde5 theme rejected for ugly?

UDE?

i3
openbox

Can I make my windows PC look like a hacker movie?

interestingly, one of the first DE's ported to linux was CDE, an attempt at a common desktop for many unix/unix-like systems

it looks pretty unique, though it's hard to call it unconventional, as it was very conventional at the time

you could argue the panel looks somewhat osx dock-like, but this made way before any hint of osx

>unique
>literally 3.11

3.11 had no dock/panel, and many different environments placed unfocused windows on the desktop as icons back then (before 95 came along with the "taskbar")

-- though i will give you the decorations, which are very 3.x-esque

Are they clones, or just following the same paradigm?

there's a couple that aim to be clones (windowmaker/nextstep, fvwm95/windows95, early xfce was a cde clone, etc)
though most just take ideas from existing ones, rather than trying to be exactly like another

pic: early xfce

this

wew that's exactly a CDE clone

>3.11

>having to open a clock application

CDEbian is the greatest

>ITT: why nobody with an actual job uses linux
And literally everything posted so far looks like it hasn't been worked on since the 90s.

>animeposter

kill yourself

The thing with Linux is that out of the box it's shit compared to Windows, but with tweaking and customization it can be made God-tier. The problem is that tweaking it to your subjective God-tier setup will take time, and you'll be spending a lot of time reading tutorials and inside .config files. Plus a fuck up may break everything, so you need to tread carefully.

For a desktop I'd choose windows everytime, but for educational purposes just mess around with Linux in a VM. Linux is great on old Thinkpads though.

CDE and Windows 3.x share maybe two things; they're graphical, and like any other interface at the time, minimized Windows were iconized on the desktop. That's really about it. CDE was released in 1993, however it's practically a straight continuation of HP/Apollo's VUE, which was started in 1988 and probably released in 1989-1990.

This desu

Don't worry he's already dead inside.

Enlightenment

Linux is not a product. Distros are, so that's up to these to market their image and design. You can't imagine how much Ubuntu established itself beneath electronical engineers just because it's the only Linux distro they heard of.

You mean GNU+Linux

If windows is so good how come they charge for it while I can get equal or best functionality, control and customization options for free?

Inb4 muh games

> gnustep
> not an OSX clone

gnustep is a nextstep clone

osx is partly built on nextstep technology, but gnustep predates apples' acquisition of next

This is linux

I think I just threw up a little

Why do these all look like a dogs fucking breakfast with a shitty interface, and Windows 3.1 tier aesthetics. Fuck me.

are you sure, that looks like IRIX

dev.maxxdesktop.co/trax/maxxdesktop
Because they were all developed before win95, or were copies of older WMs

because they're as old as 3.1, silly

>Windows 3.1 tier aesthetics
You had wrong association.
>Fuck me.
Fuck you.

>Why do old things look old!?

3.11 was actually a ripoff of HP VUE, CDE's direct predecessor, which was written in 1988.

so by the transitive property

Because good programmers aren't good designers. They could give a fuck about your UX.

ITT tech illiterates think a kernel has a graphical user interface

They could?

wow linix looks like shit ahould have bought an apple

expression used by americans, it means they do not give a fuck,

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, eh? The expression is "couldn't give a fuck." The expression you used, "could give a fuck," is literally the opposite of that.

Linux's main great advantages is under the hood. If you want people to check that out, you want to lure them in with something familiar.

inb4 the "malformed expressions" copy pasta

>t. someone who's never used CDE or VUE
As I said in , they share basic concepts shared by every other GUI, not really much else.

3.x copied MWM/VUE/CDE, but they're more similar than you're implying - they both have the iconise maximise and menu in the same place, the same design for the menu button, the same resize corners, double click or alt-f4 to close.

microsoft and apple literally spent hundred of millions for doing R & D on Human Interface.

see this if you are more interested on the subject, the author is no one else than the gui who made the first GUI at apple.

asktog.com/menus/designMenu.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Tognazzini

Linux is a meme OS.

Everybody ripped off Xerox and went from there.
Only some of the Linux distros look and or function like Windows or OSX, the ones who intentionally do that to make the transition to Linux easier for people.
Both Microsoft and Apple grab stuff from the freeware world.

surely there must be alternatives on how to interact with a computer
Everything now revolves around selecting things witn a kb, mouse, touchscreen etc
why has no one thought outside the box? is this really the final form of how humans can interact with digital content? ie first they must choose what to select and then select it

Hey OP, think of a new DE right now. Come up with an idea that is better than Windows and
OSX right now. Protip: You can't.

i use cde on bsd

You can customize your WM in any way you want.
Also.
>what is a tiling WM?

>If Linux is so good, why is every Linux DE a clone of Windows or OSX?
I've noticed some features from Linux creeping into Windows over the last decade, actually.

I'm pretty sure Linux had windows snapping to the edge before Windows.

>Everybody ripped off Xerox and went from there.
why do I doubt that 3/4 of the retards who regurgitate this shit they've picked up from apple meme threads have ever even seen an Alto, let alone knows how it worked?
the closest thing to a "Xerox rip-off" there was was the PERQ, the Macintosh and Windows interfaces do not behave like the Alto at all, other than the fact that they're graphical, use a mouse and share some similar metaphors for certain applications.