We have an idiot engineer here at work who doesn't escape/sanitize filenames in the bash scripts he writes...

We have an idiot engineer here at work who doesn't escape/sanitize filenames in the bash scripts he writes. Because of this, sometimes filenames with dashes in them fail, and he blames us, claiming dashes are "illegal filename characters in Linux."

First of all, that statement barely makes sense, and second, I know it's wrong but I can't find a source to definitively prove to my boss how full of shit he is.

The filesystems in question here are NFS for the SAN storage, and Ext-3.

Any good sources I can point my bosses to? I'm trying to get this guy fired before he can retire in two years.

Also: Things that make you angry. Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
amazon.com/Unicode-Standard-Version-5-0-5th/dp/0321480910/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ok

nice blog post user

In other words, you guys don't know either. How embarrassing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
look on the side box

tell him to stop being so autistic and fix his scripts, or dont use '-' in file names
why the fuck do you even bother making a thread about this?

>Trying to get a guy fired, and not just showing him where he's wrong.

Karma will most certainly come back to bite you on the ass.

I've showed him before, and he insists I'm incorrect.

All bytes except NUL ('\0') and '/'

Perfect. Thank you.

For you, foremost.

not really. i have no problem with people like op who ask questions. i do have a problem with people like the rest who choose to vent their sexual frustrations

also a hint: if those were indeed illegal filename characters the system would prevent you from using them in filenames. Duh.

incorrect. op mentioned san storage, which could be mounted on several operating systems. one os may allow the creation of a while with a name that would be considered illegal to another operating system with the same share mounted.

1. Get a copy of >pic related:

amazon.com/Unicode-Standard-Version-5-0-5th/dp/0321480910/

2. Show him the book, tell him he must assume filenames contain every possible combination in that book.

>even the control characters?
ESPECIALLY the control characters!

3. If he continues to fuck up, hit him with the book and go back to step 2.

>If he asks you about the private areas, hit him with the book.
>If he asks about the unassigned areas, hit him with the book.
>If he asks about the Cuneiform or Linear B sections, hit him with the book.
>If he asks about the problems inherent with displaying traditional Mongolian (a top-to-bottom, left-to-right cursive writing system) and whether it will ever be properly supported, HIT HIM WITH THE BOOK.

What if he grabs the book and hits me with it?

Unfortunately, that's when you have to escalate the matter.

Brilliant, I had a hearty laugh.

You just need quotes around your bash variables.

That said, - shouldn't cause any issues Unescaped if it's in the middle of a file name. I'd say you have a different issue and all of you are retards for not being able the debug the issue.

Good god what kind of company is this?

>showing him where he's wrong.
You can show a nig nog how to be white, but you can't make them stop nogging.

Funny you should mention that, because yeah he's black

>First of all, that statement barely makes sense, and second, I know it's wrong but I can't find a source to definitively prove to my boss how full of shit he is.
POSIX specifies filepaths to be any combination of legal bytes except '\0' and '/' which are the only two forbidden characters.

Better do what he says then. You wouldn't want to be racist.

>on several operating systems
The statement was "dashes are illegal in Linux". This sentence is false. As proof I just did "touch -". If he wants to change his statement sure, but that's not OP's problem.

Correct his scripts and show him how it is supposed to be done

At the end of the day that guy is going to get paid the same as you and get laid

I write shitty bash scripts and I'm not getting laid when does that bit come in?

Beautiful senpai

He's near retirement age.

But OP is asking for his taint to be checked?