Why does every single beginner level/minimal-hardware-knowledge person think more RAM = better performance?

Why does every single beginner level/minimal-hardware-knowledge person think more RAM = better performance?

Like, they're running Intel intergrated graphics and an i3 and they're wanting to upgrade, so they message their friend Tray who bought a $2,000 pre-built once, and Tray says, "Yeah man just get 32 gigs of gaming ram".

It's fucking rampant the amount of people who are under the impression RAM has a much larger effect on video games than it actually does. Where the hell did this come from?

Other urls found in this thread:

downloadmoreram.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

As someone who only has 2 GiB I can tell you that RAM does have an effect. The performance goes to shit as soon as the RAM is full.

Well that's certainly true with 2GB nowadays. However more than 8GB is simply pointless unless you're running virtual machines and even then..

16GB if you realllllllly want it or you want to turn virtual paging off.

There's a huge difference between 2 gigs and 32 gigs. 90% of games literally won't allocate more than 8 GB, if that. Unless you do video editing or some other memory heavy task, you'll always have an overflow of memory doing absolutely nothing.

Timings, cache, things like that are more important than just straight higher numbers.

If you have a 940 M and try to play Witcher 3 on max, 64 gigs of RAM isn't going to make a lick of difference. Graphical processing isn't what RAM is for.

Because they don't understand programs running in the background use RAM, they just assume everything is "on the computer".

Also downloadmoreram.com/

I've got no clue.

I have never experienced using a computer in my life with more than 4gb of RAM.

Try to do some hard gaming with 1GB RAM.

I'm not even a gamer, I just play a couple of games every now and then and it was hell when my computer had only 1GB of RAM.

Well of course, you retard. The point isn't you don't need any RAM. The point is there's a ceiling you can hit very quickly, and the money you would spend on useless padding could be used for other upgrades.

To answer you're question it's because normies understand "Ohhh higher number = better". Easier to process information.

Just like with processors "More cores and higher clock speed mesns better!"

Ram is cheap as fuck. Who cares?

Well it depends on what hardware the user has. If they have an integrated GPU then installing a second stick could allow for dual channel mode which will give most integrated graphics a 30% performance boost. Of course anons will simply assume "more ram did it! More is MOARH!!"

Actually more ram does increase the performance of integrated graphics

What makes a processor better then?

Not in my 3rd world country.

For a long time more ram was a good way to make a computer work faster in general use, and it still is if you're working with very large files. Going from 1 megabyte to 4 was a world of difference in my first computer and allowed it to do things that it was entirely incapable of. when I bought my next machine in 1999 going from 64 megs to 128 (and eventually 1 gig) made large improvements to performance. The 1 gig amount was ridiculous compared to the cpu and gpu performance, but gave me the ability to use ram as a scratch disk making it much easier to work on photos and video. This is less of a big deal now that we have SSDs and their quick seek times.

At this point ram is cheaper than ever and although most computers have sufficient amounts for general use it doesn't really hurt that much to drop $50ish on another 16 gigs. Despite diminishing returns more ram is like more storage, a good thing.

The only real reason not to is being on a tight budget. Sure, bump up to the next better gpu, get an SSD to boot from, or a larger hard drive instead when you're doing a build and are pinching pennies.

The biggest majority of people don't need more than 8gb and won't have any performance boost if they take 12/16gb over 8.

>MUH VIDEOGAMES
neck usefl

I hope this triggers your autism.

Are DDR4 rams being currently used? Do you guys use DDR3 or DDR4?

Sorry I forgot, well, now you can be triggered.

DDR3 because my CPU doesn't support DDR4.

It doesn't make a difference unless you have an iGPU

Mo ram = mo better

Because during the beginning of windows XP days alot of consumer grade pc's had a ram bottleneck. A bunch came with only 256mb of ram when really 2GB was around an optimal amount.

It's a higher number so people think it's better. Same with how idiots think VRAM determines how good a graphics card is.

My 7 virtual machines do run better with 32 GB RAM.

I want to go from 32 to 16, whenever I hit swap everything takes a dump quickly.

Underrated post.

This. My first laptop was a 'Vista-ready' Compaq with only 512 MB RAM. The machine outright flew after adding a 2 GB RAM stick, but fortunately the guy who told me to upgrade the RAM also told me computer performance is about the 'weakest link'; going for 4 GB total RAM (like I wnated to originally, because MOAR RAM BIGGER NUMBERS) would be pointless for a weakass laptop running 32-bit XP.

>dubs dubs trips

For the same reason why the idiots in this board think that what makes a gpu good is the amount of vram it has: they are just idiots. That's all.

Disk cache.
It makes everything faster.

its 100€ per 32GB what difference does it make? I used to hit 16GB like once a month so I bought +16GB more because its costs fucking nothing, seriously useless discussion.

Exactly, disk cache.

I bought 32 gigs of 2400mhz, prices are low and quality is good ' cause DDR4 was released and you'd be surprised how many DDR3 sticks fail hammer test 13 on memtest

I haven't bought the 950 pro yet but even with sata 850 pro ssds the difference is phenomenal, even if you'd say microstutters are a meme, framerate is much smoother as seamlessly linked to the gpu

I'm happy with 4790k on Z97 but I'm looking forward to upgrade on kaby or cannon for 64 gigs as some games go beyond 32gb of disk space

Game devs really need to consider this 32gb / 64gb disk cache cap within their framework and updates

Unrelated, but 4k video files are so freaking heavy... Full transition to SSDs should be the end goal but it might take some time

Smaller manufacturing process, lower TDP, more threads/cores. But everything has a ceiling. Eventually if you have enough of one thing, say a high enough clock speed, you'll hit a point where raising it any further would just be nonsense because the performance gains just wouldn't exist.

GPU > CPU > Cooling > RAM > Disk speed for them loading times

I'm sorry but you aren't the one to decide what people need. It's the toolbars and trojans that decide that for the average joe.

integrated graphics benefit from higher frequency ram and obviously from more memory.

RAM is the cheapest, easiest upgrade for any computer. Must be the most effective upgrade too!

Reminder that it's actually GiB. Winbabbies are excused because their awful operating system still doesn't get units right.

Working at a computer store, we have pople coming in all the time looking for more ram, or asking what it is. I tell them to think of a computer as a guy sitting at a desk. The cpu is the person, and all it does is think, and process the information given to it. The storage, or HDD, is the filing cabnet. And the RAM, is like your table. If your table is too small, you will run into problems with too many things out, so you have to make a special folder inside of your filing cabnet to temporarily put stuff. If your table is too big, you just paid for a big table and you are only using part of it.

>an overflow of memory doing absolutely nothing
what's caching and prefetching?

The important thing is the speed of the ram, not the amount it holds.

What's the point of high frequency RAM now that's what I want to know

32 GB DDR4 in quad channel master race

poorfag pajeet get out

I like having 32GB because Firefox leaks memory like crazy and I have three screens with tons of background programs running at the same time.

It does nothing