Case that decides if API can be copyrighted

>case that decides if API can be copyrighted
>eight women and two men
we are so incredibly fucked

pcworld.com/article/3067939/the-oracle-google-jury-includes-at-least-one-person-with-an-aversion-to-tech.html

Other urls found in this thread:

cyber.law.harvard.edu/property/library/copyprimer.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Google also dismissed a man who said he doesn’t believe in the idea of “free software.” Google’s case rests partly on convincing the jury that it shouldn’t have to pay to use Oracle’s Java programming interfaces.

Fuck this article.

fuck you and the stallman you rode on it...

>“You can’t be proselytizing your religion among the jury,” Alsup said.
>“I server a higher authority than yours, sir,” the man replied.
>“So far, he has not communicated to me,” Alsup said, and asked him politely to leave. The man offered him a leaflet on the way out.

>Microsoft develops their own incompatible JVM
>Microsoft is evil! They should be broken up and forced to pay billions!

>Google develops their own incompatible JVM
>Nobody tells poor, helpless Google what to do! It's literally another shoah!

The targeted platform are different.

Microsoft target PC to erode the existing Java install base.
It can run any Java program but it can also support specific Microsoft extension.

Google target small device where no Java exists.
Also, it's not even Java compatible.

>Open JDK allowed to make their own free Java implementation under the GPL
>Google not allowed to make their own Java implementation because they're making money

What the hell is this logic?

Why are women allowed to serve on juries?

Do the world a favour and use archive links, it stops the site getting pageviews.

Why are people with no technical experienced allowed to serve on a jury in a trial that is highly technical?

Oracle is the biggest fucking patent troll there is and killed dozens of extremely good projects. Fuck it.

Is this supposed to be a court or a circus?

> Guy caught passing out religious material.
> "I server a higher authority than yours"
Fucking gold.

nigga i wish oracle would win
it would be funny

no "bias"

American courts are weird shit. Before a trial begins either side is allowed to ask some general questions to the jury which they use to weed out "unwanted" jurors. The actual purpose is to remove and avoid bias but both sides use this to their advantage and by the end of the selection there's usually no one left except a bunch of ignorant people. It's easier to sway their opinion I guess.

>jury

Who ever came up with this dumb shit?

It's supposed to be jury of peers. They seemed to have forgotten about that last part. But, I guess corporations are people, so whatevs

What exactly do you think a jury of your peers is supposed to mean?

A jury isn't the wrong approach I think they just need to have a jury that actually knows about the cases they're working on. For trials that hinge on technology or some other specialized field I kinda wish there was a way to have at least one person from that field in each jury.

Boycott Java and the JVM.

Google can't convert Android to Swift soon enough.

>we are so incredibly fucked
Why?

>switching to a proprietary language

This is Stallman's fault. He was retarded for using the word free.

Swift is Apache-licensed since version 2.2. Before then it was proprietary.

>logic

You seem confused. We're talking about Oracle.

$10 says he was doing it to get out of jury duty

Pro tip: When selected for jury duty just indicate you know what jury nullification is. You'll be dismissed before you can say anything else.

> The man offered him a leaflet on the way out.

are you excused from work because of it? if so, I'd just keep delaying the verdict for days to do nothing and get paid

You are allowed to be excused from work but you get paid less than minimum wage. That's how it is around here anyway. Your work will also pile up assuming you have something like an office job.

Copywriting things like toString()

>American intellectual property law

And that's why I moved to Canada...

have fun with your feminist PM who doesn't put out fires

What's wrong with feminism. Do you unironically think women shouldn't have equal rights to men, user?

thats not what modern feminism is about.

1) women's rights are not more important than wildfires
2) Women have more rights than men in western civilization

>Do you unironically think women shouldn't have equal rights to men, user?

Yes, and that is what my family members (both men and women) believe as well. It's not natural for a woman to be a leader.

We think women shouldn't have more rights then men.
Which is a facet of equality that your side's soapboxers seem to ignore.

Juries should go through tests to see if they actually know what the fuck they're going to judge a person on, and to see if they're in any way biased.

today feminism is not about equality, but about women's superiority

The problem with that is it would make too much sense and would lead to fair trials. That's not very American.

They had one.
>Oracle's first choice was to dismiss a man with a computer science degree who works at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

This.

Some jobs offer paid leave for jury duty as a benefit. The norm is no pay but excused absence. The court pays you some nominal amount per day. I think it's like 40 dollars per day.

>Do you unironically think women shouldn't have equal rights to men, user?
of course not. I'm all about equal rights for women and to do this we have to remove all the countless privileges they have.
>can retire much sooner despite having a much longer average lifespan. how retarded is that?
>can get pregnant at any moment and a company will have to pay for a year of doing nothing
>can accuse any man of rape without proof and he will most likely go to jail practically without a trial
>in case of a divorce, she'll get most of some hard working man's money and full custody unless she's a convicted drug dealer or something like that
>they get some laughably small sentences even in cases of very serious crimes

Google will win, nobody in the layman jury know about Oracle, but they most likely use Android phone so they will side with google

*I'm all for

APIs being copyrightable is not an error from the courts. It's an error from those who decided to have copyright in the first place.

Fair use is the right argument for being allowed to reimplement an API without a license, but fair use is unreliable (IIRC you can't even get precedent on it because it's all case by case) so it's still shit.

I block ads, so every page load is costing them money.

Since I'm a noble the damn peasants don't get a say in my trial.

>jury
What kind idiocy is this?

>Fair use is the right argument
Fair use doesn't cover that at all. APIs are not copyrightable.

By that logic a noble should have no say in a peasant's trial.

cyber.law.harvard.edu/property/library/copyprimer.html
In order to be copyrightable, a work must be

1. fixed in a tangible medium of expression ; and
2. original.
Which of these does not apply to APIs?

This
Nothing specifically wrong with copyright on a work that includes an API, in which case using the API would result in a trivial fair use defense.

There's something really wrong on claiming damages for someone else extending your work's lifespan by a decade or more for you for no charge.

how do you not get it?

Oracle uses copyleft and offers proprietary licenses to sell a lot of their products to shitty businesses.

(you)

>Copyrights do not protect ideas, procedures, processes, systems, methods of operation, concepts, principles, or discoveries: they only protect physical representations.
Immediately after that section.

Which of these is an API? Or do you mean to say that APIs are in all of those categories at once?

Java is shit anyways and google should be punished for releasing such shit system

An API is an Application Programming Interface. It is an interface through which programs can interact with an application; it is either a system, a method of operation, or both. It is not copyrightable.
>they only protect physical representations

Hey retard, a corporation is treated like an individual in the US legal system.

I don't even know how your idiot parents managed to pass on their impaired genetics considering that they were at least as stupid as you.

My grandpa used to work at that lab.

>corporation is treated like an individual
Can the corporation go to jail?

You're so fucking stupid. You're costing them nothing. In fact you still count as a pageview so future advertisers will pay more for potential hits.

Where is my right to paternity leave, then?

So I'm costing advertisers money? Even better.