Almost everything i've ever seen wrapped in .rar was bullshit. either some form of malware or some shit

almost everything i've ever seen wrapped in .rar was bullshit. either some form of malware or some shit.
does Sup Forums use .rar for anything legit?

Other urls found in this thread:

security.stackexchange.com/questions/29375/is-7-zips-aes-encryption-just-as-secure-as-truecrypts-version
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ya to play osu! beatmaps

.txz masterrace

I keep telling people to simply use .zip instead of .rar because it is natively supported, but little do these cucks know, first thing they do after installing Windows is install winrar.

Doesn't rar have better compression and encryption?

It's just historical momentum, same reason there's a 4 or more /bin directories and everyone wraps even less than a dozen files in tar before compressing it.

>.rar

Fuck anyone who did/does this.

I think the reason why RAR is still popular is because the RLZ scene is still using it. If the scene would switch, everyone would also.

technically yes but if all you want is efficiency and not portability, go for .7z

I emulate old conole games.
The roms come in .rar files

I still "use" RAR daily because just about every single Usenet upload is still being packed with it

Some manga archives come in .rar
unar is free software, in the debian repos and works fine on them.

>legit
Does copyright infrigement disqualify me?

There's only one scene; there's no grp that would matter if they didn't change with the scene

This. Not to mention 7zip has some pretty good encryption: security.stackexchange.com/questions/29375/is-7-zips-aes-encryption-just-as-secure-as-truecrypts-version

7zip > poo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rar

gzip is sufficient + doesn't take millennia to compress/decompress

most shit you download from the internet is compressed in rar

if its fast it doesnt compress senpai its just storing them which you can do it in .rar also

You're a retard. Kill yourself.

For what purpose?

delivering many files as one single file maybe?

this

fucking ur mom

rekt pwn'd xD

gzip can't archive
you use tar for that you retard

who gives a shit

degenerates obviously not

>either some form of malware or some shit.
Nah, its just that RAR is non-free and isn't shipped by default/natively on any system.

I always recommend to use .zip for anything, even if there was something to compress in real life application you still get like 3-5% compression rate, not enough to keep me bothered.
If it wasn't for lack of support for Wendys I'd use tar insteda of zip

For actual compression I use xz.

tar

I used to think rar gave better compress than zip, while 7z trumps everything, but I just packed a couple albums a day ago and they did fuck all. Nowadays I just zip it up on ultra and call it a day.

>but I just packed a couple albums a day ago and they did fuck all.
Did you seriously expect ANY compression from an audio file?
All lossy and lossless formats support compression, so they're usually compressed already

rar is only good for packaging apps to run portability as an sfx module. The 7z sfx module is horseshit. When they get that fixed, rar is finished.