Anyone heard anything about the Razer Core...

anyone heard anything about the Razer Core? I bought a thunderbolt 3 laptop specifically so I could buy this thing and not a peep on the internet or razer about it since march, when it was supposed to launch in april.

Other urls found in this thread:

polygon.com/2016/3/18/11257690/razer-core-laptop-support-portable
razerzone.com/store/razer-core
amazon.com/G752VL-DH71-Gaming-Discrete-GeForce-Titanium/dp/B01578ZNQA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_core_i5_6600k-521
cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_core_i7_6700hq-573
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If not this, anyone have any information about other options for external graphics connected to laptops?

>I bought a thunderbolt 3 laptop specifically so I could buy this thing
Pretty sure the Razer Core is only going to officially work with Razer's branded laptop.

So unless you got the Razer Blade, you're shit out of luck anyway.

Its not thunderbolt its some propiety razer cable

Who the fuck said anything about gaming? I'm trying to break into modeling. If this works well I could replace my entire desktop with a reasonable laptop in the future instead of having both.

I went "nope" as soon as I saw the price tag. For $400 you might as well just build a new PC.

Not denying that there's a market for it. There are tons of college students who insist on a "gaming laptop", so with something like that they can bring their GTX1080 to their dorms.

You can already buy GPU boxes for external cards on laptops

polygon.com/2016/3/18/11257690/razer-core-laptop-support-portable

Where the fuck did you get this? It's not. It's a thunderbolt standard, not a Razer one. You can use this, or any other eGPU solutions that use the same standard, on any laptop with thunderbolt 3 that supports eGFX.

I travel I shit ton for work as well, I even built a mini-itx build to make travelling easier, literally the second I finished the build I realized I'd still have to lug a computer screen and a UPS around with me if I wanted to do anything.
I sold the itx build to break even and I bought the laptop, now I can easily travel, my girlfriend can program with me, and I can take this into sites with me, whereas before I was going to lug the itx build from hotel room to hotel room, and I can't exactly bring my personal itx with me into contracts.

This thing saves me time, hassle, and space.

It's out now isn't it? razerzone.com/store/razer-core

>razerzone.com/store/razer-core
nope, it's just been sitting like that for a few months. hell, no one has even gotten a review build I assume because I see no reviews online, only previews

Which laptop? iirc not all Thunderbolt 3 machines work, they have to also support the Thunderbolt eGFX standard.

>So mad that his purachase was wrong
Just watch some review videos. That cable is not thundebolt 3

Oh yeah it's still notify me, my bad user

There aren't any review videos yet, and it is thunderbolt 3 piggybacking on the USB type c connector

A) I didn't buy this or anything eGPU related
B) yes, it is Thunderbolt 3. You realize Thunderbolt 3 uses the USB type c connector now? That's probably why you're confused.

op here, that's not me user, I literally got the laptop in the mail yesterday, returns are nothing to me.

I just didn't wanna suck the dick of razer and get their shitty overpriced laptop. I want egraphics and that's it, I bought an asus and supposedly asus is supposed to release this xg2 egpu solution someday, so I'm fine either way

amazon.com/G752VL-DH71-Gaming-Discrete-GeForce-Titanium/dp/B01578ZNQA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

man I wish they'd bring back thread identifiers, really made this shit easier, so you didn't have to trip code yourself to keep thread consistency

I'm pretty sure the xg2 was based on Thunderbolt 2 and was cancelled because Intel wouldn't license eGPUs for Thunderbolt yet. They wanted everyone to use their standard with Thunderbolt 3. I'm sure other manufacturers will come out with eGPU houses like the Razer Core, Asus probably will be one of them, but it won't be the same xg2 they showed off earlier. But yeah if time is important and you can't wait until the market becomes more saturated, just get the Razer Core.

>muh gurl
we trust you user

Lol yea, I'm building some shit in java and I wanted her to learn how to program, but she's a literal jew and won't cough up for a decent laptop to program on, so being able to let her program on mine is just icing on the cake

if you really did travel a lot you would know even shit hotels now have televisions with HDMI ports. You wouldn't need to ship a monitor, just carry an HDMI cable

I've done that, and it's not worth the literal headache, trying to actively use tvs as monitors just makes my eyes hurt when trying to use them for anything outside of gaming

what other reason would you have for lugging a desktop around other than gaming? Literally anything else you can do on a chromebook or shit laptop

They're trying to do modelling. Read the thread.

That can be done with ultrabooks or mobile workstations. If youre after muh rendering remote farm will be better than desktop anyway.

>tfw I have a thing for jews
>tfw I had a jew fuck buddy but didn't lock her up

god's speed user

elaborate? Right now I'm fucking with Maya in my sparetime and KNOW it works fine on my 980, and given the time, I was just going to move my 980 into an egpu and buy the 1080 or amd equivalent. This stops me from having to upgrade once every 2-3 years.

Hell the i7 in my laptop is stronger than the the 6600k in my desktop, literally just gpu I'm worried about for the future

Mobile workstations come with dedicated gpus too. But whatever you do in maya intel iris graphics will handle just fine. You don't need to upgrade, its not like stuff designed in maya today is more demanding that stuff designed 10 years ago.

>linking to polygon

Nigga, don't give the clickbaiters any clicks.

I plan on getting something like this for my wife. She likes to game but really needs a light laptop for work and going for her Master's degree (and PhD). When I upgrade my gtx 980, I'll just pop that in the razer core.

exactly, I know a ton of people in our situation just waiting for this to come out and be supported

You don't need a decent computer to program

>Hell the i7 in my laptop is stronger than the the 6600k in my desktop

That type of person is Razer's entire consumer base.

You understand that mobile GPUs are just branded as i7s, they really are not that powerful, they are designed to consume as little power as possible.

The CMO of my company refused a laptop we gave him because it had an i5, said he wanted an i7. I told him that was just marketing BS and the difference between the 2 was 100mhz.

He wouldn't budge. So I gave him a laptop with an i7 from the previous gen which was slower than the i5 I tried to give him. He couldn't stop gushing on how much faster it was. I tried to explain to him that it was actually slower in every way but he said he could tell it was faster.

This experience is why company's marketing budgets are higher than their R&D budgets. Often by a factor of 10 or more.

this.

thunderbolt 3 isn't even full bandwidth; it's "just enough"

spending this kind of money for gimped performance is just outrageous

when we have 7nm laptop i7 cpus and thunderbolt 4 or 5 with 500GbpS then I'll probably spend money on egpu

Razor makes shit products. /thread

Are you contending that the 6600k stock is stronger than the i7 6700hq?

cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

>i7 in my laptop is stronger than the the 6600k in my desktop
holy fuck

yes. you are retarded; not to mention the fact you're igoring that you can get an entire extra 1000mhz out of the i5 no sweat

>6600K
cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_core_i5_6600k-521

>6700HQ
cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-intel_core_i7_6700hq-573

Go die in a pit.

I've watched more than few videos of people running egpu setups on thunderbolt 2, which makes me assume thunderbolt 3 is MORE than enough.

Hell, all were really trying to do here is make mobile hardware connect to a pcie lane that's further away

>40gbps
>MORE then enough
nah dude. you get like 90% to 99% performance which is "good enough" but not good enough for me.

HA

rekt

simmer down

alright, my bad, didn't realize how seriously you guys take this shit, either way, I think this cpu will do fine into the next 3-5 years as the 2500k and the 3570k after it

>didn't realize how seriously you guys take this shit
we dont take kindly to tech illiterate retards who don't know that they're tech illiterate retards

keep calm and lurk more

Lmfao

Hmmmm, w/e you say, now are you actually going to suggest methods of egpu use, or speculated methods of future use or did you come here purely to piss about 6700hq relative to 6600k performance?

the latter.

I already talked about it, but I'll say it again: Thunderbolt 3 is good for casual use but I think it's too expensive to warrant it.

Most laptops, as far as I know, won't even let you use thunderbolt 3 eGPU unless it's with an external display, so you're stuck at square one again

I'd seriously just either get a laptop you're comfortable gaming on or a mini itx build. Silverstone has some fucking great cases that will fit in a suicase no sweat, and the fury nano is an absolute beast. Just plug into hotel televisions with a steam controller

noted, and taken on

>here on Sup Forums we take important matters seriously
o I am laffin