Capitalism has hijacked the technological revolution

Computers, instead of being used for intellectual amplification (with everyone having free universal access to a massive body of knowledge, learning about the world, other cultures, science... in short, making themselves better people), have turned into mass surveillance-enabling, corporate-endorsed advertising and entertainment devices, dumbing down everyone's span of attention with 24/7 small instant gratifications.

It didn't have to be like this.

I blame American "culture". Well, it's far-fetched to call it a culture. It's more like a continuous stream of corporate products and trends based on neuromarketing that appeal to the lowest and most basic of human instincts. That means that it's not just Americans that quickly adopt these new trends, people abroad do too.

For example, Japan has lost its unique feature-filled flip phones to iPhones. And as I said it doesn't only happen with technology: take music or cinema. Contemporary French or German music are closer to Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga than to their own music from a few decades ago.

Of course, people adopt it quickly and easily because it's designed to attract them. Blaming people for this is like blaming mice for being attracted to cheese. They can't help it, it's in their nature.

20 years ago, the internet was a place to explore and discover. A young kid could find fansites about their favorite cartoons, emulators for playing games, forums to discuss or just have fun with people from all around the world... nowadays if I let my child browse the internet from a small age he'd just end up addicted to social media and possibly with embarrassing content tied to his real name forever.

And the worst part is that the downward trend isn't stopping anytime soon, if anything it's accelerating. Adults are being effectively forced to use nonfree channels and forfeit their privacy in order to interact with governments, companies or the labor market.

We truly live in dark times.

Other urls found in this thread:

sci-hub.top/
gen.lib.rus.ec/
btdigg.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI
loper-os.org/?p=284
greenarraychips.com/
data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?order=wbapi_data_value_2011 wbapi_data_value wbapi_data_value-first&sort=desc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The largest business opportunity in the past 50 years has been hijacked by people who want to make money, I would never have guessed it I am truly shocked.

>hijacked

you mean engendered it

The hacker revolution and ethic still burn as brightly now, more so even, as it did in the past.

The losers remain losers no matter what generation it is, they just have different toys to idle with.

>thinking that in the future youll somehow be connected to the system, but somehow, magically, still privat eand independent.

fuck off normie

>hijacked
Yeah, because we would all have home PCs and internet connections without massive corporations seizing the opportunity to make money.
I make my own silicon wafers, hard drives, GPUs, and other shit in my basement.

>the technological revolution happened because of capitalism

>fansites about their favorite cartoons,

what emulators were you playing on that was in 1996???? SNES was just barely not being supported anymore and the N64 just came out...

NES emulation. Mame was also a thing but had very spotty support and a low list of games playable.

So you're saying that IT and computing got "hijacked" by capitalism? It was pure corporatism from the beginning.
And also, people can do much more with their iPhones now than they could have done with the flip phones earlier.

Oh to be 14 and into Che Guevara again. Are you enjoying your summer vacation, son?

You blame American culture when you should blame capitalist culture. Americans actually do have a culture separate from capitalism, it's just somewhat repressed right now.

and for what OS? windows 95 just released.. and how were you downloading the roms and uploading them? that would of taken ages.

>Computers, instead of being used for intellectual amplification (with everyone having free universal access to a massive body of knowledge, learning about the world, other cultures, science... in short, making themselves better people), have turned into mass surveillance-enabling, corporate-endorsed advertising and entertainment devices, dumbing down everyone's span of attention with 24/7 small instant gratifications.

Fucking normies REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Computers have turned into entertainment devices
What the fuck did you expect? People had books, and it's not like the majority read technical books for fun. My coworker golfs and plays darts in his free time, did you expect some dumb fucker like that to use the Internet to learn about shit?

>not knowing darts can be a gentleman sport like shooting, chess, and billiards

>>not knowing darts can be a gentleman sport like shooting, chess, and billiards
Not when you're smoking and drinking the entire time.

That's his personal fault. I think drug addicts suck too, though.

>Sweeping Generalizations - The Thread
Just fuck off.

Go back to lainchan with your commie cyberpunk LARPing
Sage

While I agree with you OP, we still have
>free universal access to a massive body of knowledge, learning about the world, other cultures, science

See
sci-hub.top/ - all scientific papers of humanity

gen.lib.rus.ec/ - almost all technical/non-fiction books ever written, and then some

btdigg.org/ - almost all torrents, books, games etc

My position is that it is our noblesse oblige (as technically capable persons) to help other citizens become better people. We can't make progress by shaming or ridiculing them, we should develop technology and culture that is easy to use and furthers our goals along the way.

Sadly, our computing culture is stuck in 1970s. All this C, unix, bash - they are scary for your average human, and technically they are outdated. This is literally previous millennium tech that is being regurgitated for decades because old programmers don't want create anything new. Crappy, outdated computing culture is one of the large factors that made 99.9% of population choose to become facebook zombies.

We can do better.

You're absolutely right but most people will deny it because they're too stupid.

Cyberpunk is now start living it.

>bash
>not sh
>not ksh

I do agree with your post though that we need a new OS that isn't Unix. However, any new OS needs to be terminal-oriented if it's to be anything more than a toy.

I hate cyberpunk. It was fun to read it back in the end of 90s, but is an incredibly bleak feel to live in it.

I'd like to see more Utopian literature/games and other content. We have all the technology necessary to build true utopia, but our society has lost all the inspiration for it.

>However, any new OS needs to be terminal-oriented if it's to be anything more than a toy.

>New OS
>terminal oriented
>terminal
>oriented
>new
>OS

user, you seem a little confused

> However, any new OS needs to be terminal-oriented if it's to be anything more than a toy.

I think a realistic compromise is that the OS should be REPL oriented. There should be no "special" crappy glue language, instead the main programming language should be good enough for everyday usage. Symbolics lisp machines and Smalltalk environments were good examples of this.

Going further, it is not inconceivable to have interfaces that understand speech and natural language (and allow you to do 90% of work with them, with rest 10% still being done in a conventional programming language). See youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI

Also I like this description of OS design principles: loper-os.org/?p=284

This has nothing to do with capitalism.
There is practically an infinite amount of knowledge at anyone's fingertips.
It's up to people if they decide to utilize it.
People just choose not to.

This is just the same as losing weight.
People don't have to be fat slobs, it's very simple to eat better foods and to exercise.
People just often choose not to, because it's not really that much fun and requires an actual effort.
This has nothing to do with culture, it's all about people and their natural tendency to seek comfort.
Like this user said: Losers will always remain losers.
So go out there and make some money off them, it's has never been easier.
Utilize that online knowledge and learn a craft or a skill that you can sell yourself.

I noticed you mentioned that 20 years ago, you think it was somehow different. It was always this way, companies exist to make money, tech companies exist to make tech money. You were just a kid at the time and can't remember it properly. Nostalgia is cancer. Fuck off and find some obscure BBS with 5-8 people who "get it" and waste a few more decades

/THREAD

op doesn't understand capitalism in the slightest

this is a poor quality shitpost

>he thought cyberpunk was a meme
It's your coffin, now get in.

That's a classical free will debate. When I was younger I believed that humans are much stronger and smarter than they really are, so its really their fault when they make the wrong choice. But then I learned about neuroscience of addiction and our primal instincts, and I see that big companies exploit these all the time. Humans are weak beings, we should protect them from bad actors.

Facebook uses cutting-edge (literally: they have newest algorithms and ~100 of vest PhDs) machine learning techniques to make you hooked to its Feed. How can one tiny man make a decision for himself when a giant 100B valued corporation pushes him in another direction?

If we don't want to turn into a species of addicts we should regulate this shit, this is going too far.

Yeah, but we also need non-crappy architectures to run the OS on. Architectures that have HLL as first class citizens. I have a hunch that most complexity in todays OS' stems from the fact they have to run on architectures from the 70's.

So capitalism is when you can addict people into buying your harmful shit? This is burger capitalism, we don't have such things in Europe.

RISCV seems good enough. Simple and just werks.

HLL features seem to overcomplicate hardware, we should simplify it instead (see greenarraychips.com/ for example).

No, that's called capitalism.
Only anarchism can free us from capitalism.

>HLL features seem to overcomplicate hardware

But simplify software, which is the point

>when you can addict people into buying your harmful shit
>we don't have such things in Europe.

lol you can legally buy heroine in Europe

>strawman

There is a whole multidimensional set of alternatives to burger crony capitalism, for example european social democracy + responsive capitalism isn't that bad, it makes people happy and less stressed.

Where? Just curious...

you can't

Capitalism always hijacks everything.
the goal is to make money, it doesn't care about anything else.

Dumping waste in the river to save yourself the eco fees ? Hail capitalism !

>Dumping waste in the river to save yourself the eco fees ? Hail capitalism !

That's China

nah happens here too.
It won't take long to find the dick that dumps his used car oil in a place it doesn't belong.

The area they might be polluting doesn't directly affect him, so fuck it, right ?

lol tl;dr

Yes, capitalism is evil and leads to destruction, just look at the thriving USSR compared to our shitty United States.

>nah happens here too.

not on the same scale, be serious

>we must protect the poor retards from their bad decisions
>being this much of a communist

Just look at the thriving Sweden.

He's not mad about capitalism, mate. He's mad because he erroneously thinks he's smarter than everyone else but there aren't any echos in his echo chamber or huggies in his hugbox.

Honestly Norway and Denmark do pretty well with similar policies, except they didn't go full retard with immigration.

These are much smaller economies though.

US emits 3x CO2 more per capita than China: data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?order=wbapi_data_value_2011 wbapi_data_value wbapi_data_value-first&sort=desc

1st worlders really consume too much, it wastes too much energy and resources. Why are they so entitled to this lifestyle?

Because nobody can stop us.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but you're never going to "cure" these people of their addictions.
You're not going to protect them in any way by banning this sort of manipuation.
It's imposible because they're basically functioning on a level, where they'll just latch onto the next thing others are going for and call it a day.
They don't even want to be free of addictions.
They probably aren't even wired on a biological level to be free of them.

I firmly believe that people who aren't self aware, will never be the ones who are creating content for others to enjoy.
You need to be able to think if you're to create something, you need to be critical of your own work, you need to be aware of what you're doing.
People who get addicted to shit like facebook and go and buy the next thing commercials tell them to buy, aren't self aware.
They go with the flow and succumb to peer pressure super easily and I don't believe that the society has to go and hold their hand, to keep them from doing retarded shit, like buying new iPhones every damn year.
It's their decision.
And it wouldn't even matter if you cut in and prevented them from doing so.
If they're not buying new iPhones or CPUs every 8 months, then they're going to be doing something as retarded with their money.

Bottom line is that you're not going to turn the masses into something productive and intelligent, because it requires a lot of work on their part too and they don't want to do it.
They're not interested in bettering themselves in any way and no one can force or inspire them to do so.

>Theaverage American experiences over an hour of TV adverts a day. Of course this is only an average, imagine what a really good American could manage.

"addict people into buying your harmful shit"

1st. you're an idiot
2nd. people can buy w/e the fuck they want to buy.
3rd. don't want something don't fucking buy it.
4th. america is not capitalist.
5th. the beauty of capitalism is this and simply this, two men making an agreement should not have to ask permission from a third man, and any one man should be able to control his property any way he see's fit, so long as he doesn't harm someone else.

in a capitalist society the people dumping waste in your river would either
A. have to pay you
B. go to jail, or die fighting the authorities

this

Only answer is to get off your ass and make money off of these people.

Isn't the 5th thing in that list libertarianism

I notice instead of refuting my argument you just shitposted instead.

Who the fuck are you to decide what another person gets access to and how a person uses the tech he creates.

Do you somehow believe you deserve to live in a world where others are not free to like and use facebook excessively if they so choose?

and you're willing to regulate (tell a business owner we'll use guns against you if you don't do as we say with YOUR business) to get what you want?

and also 8x more productive

>People who get addicted to shit like facebook and go and buy the next thing commercials tell them to buy, aren't self aware.

If you thing you are invincible to manipulation, you are grossly overestimating yourself user. You are manipulated everyday, and it's only a question of time till they find an ultimate trigger that'll make you give them all the money. It could target some mating instinct or something like that (look like japanese otakus get addicted to anime and related products).

People are weak, it's human nature.

/thread

man ur country sure is a special snowflak xd

>They're not interested in bettering themselves in any way and no one can force or inspire them to do so.

This is obvious to everyone but the most supreme autists (or utopists). Alan Kay is still trying to create computer platforms for expanding the human intellect. The poor sod does not seem (or want?) to realize that people just don't care about learning. They don't. They may care about getting a degree and that normie job, but that's it.

This user is right. I've been learning about wealth building and I'm about to go use my knowledge to potentially seal a deal worth $10,000, that will finish by the end of the month

It's pure capitalism, a true free market economy. Our government stops a true market economy by ensuring that producers label and or make their products safe for our consumption or use.

>we should protect them
>we should regulate this
Authoritarian Millennial shitstains, ladies and gentleman.
>think what we tell you to think
>do what we tell you to do

>For example, Japan has lost its unique feature-filled flip phones to iPhones.
Nigger you're dumb if you think flip phones are better than what we have now.

> Contemporary French or German music are closer to Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga than to their own music from a few decades ago.
Like what? The Scorpions? ABBA?

> A young kid could find fansites about their favorite cartoons, emulators for playing games, forums to discuss or just have fun with people from all around the world...
How are things any different now?

ok, and? if they do so what? The option always remains to leave these behind, and if we choose not to, that's on us. No one is forcing us to use facebook except for us

there it is

>the beauty of capitalism is this and simply this, two men making an agreement should not have to ask permission from a third man, and any one man should be able to control his property any way he see's fit, so long as he doesn't harm someone else.

I find it ironic that libertarians have this nice concept of being responsible for harming others, but choose to downplay harming others via externalities. If you make a coal electric power plant, you start to dump CO2 (which is detrimental to human health and is slowly cooking us alive) and carbon microparticles incl. radioactive ones (which shorten lifespan, cause lung health problems) into the atmosphere. You should pay all the people for that harm, yet you and Koch bros don't do it (^:

And then we continue by noting that libertarianism and modern american crony capitalism with huge military spending are quite different systems.

If you measure productiveness by burgers consumed and making digital derivatives of diverse hedged ETFs "created" then yes.

AhahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaƤaaa

>ok, and? if they do so what?

Then we study humans and decide on limits of addictive stimuli companies are allowed to present to them without their consent. Something like that has been done with hard drugs long ago (without optional consent though).

>The option always remains to leave these behind, and if we choose not to, that's on us.
That's inhumane, it's not my choice.

Pretty much this.
Because if you won't, then someone else will and this situation isn't going to change.

I'm selling art on a daily basis and this is the easiest money I've ever made.
I don't even have to get off my ass to sell things to people on the other side of this planet.
And the people are happy to consume the products I give them.
I'm happy, they're happy, world goes around.
And if I'm not there to sell art for them, then they'll just buy it from somewhere else and no one can stop them from doing so.

Easiest way to realize this, is to watch some weight loss shows.
Even when the personal trainers hold people's hands nearly 100% of the time and give them optimal conditions to better themselves in every way and show a way to better life, they fight against their trainers and cheat.
And if by some miracle they manage to lose the weight, they often gain it back, because in reality they give zero shits about being healthy and putting in the effort of maintaining that body.
Most of them just want to eat,watch TV or play some Call of Duty, or whatever the hell people are into nowadays.

try to laugh when you get ill without health insurance, burger. Or when your employer will dump you because you had cancer in the past (so you have higher prob. of having big medical expenses). Even if you are healthy now, you will inevitably get ill later in your life.

Enjoy freedum while it lasts, burger (^:

>paying 86 000 $ for hepatitis medication

>le retard who doesn't know private health insurance exists
>>>/reddit/

Im laughing at the idea of social democracies in the time of muslim mass immigration. Those ponzy shemes will crash very soon and it wont be nice.

Hello, Zuckershlomo!

In an economy that wasn't capitalist, computers would be used to spy on a lot more than just your purchasing habits. Don't agree with everything dear leader says? Gulags for you, user.

You don't have to take in mudslimes though. Or you could take them and push them into working (or deport them).

that Spanish youth 50% unemployed sure is happy.

Your problem here is that you believe you inherently deserve access to w/e medical methods will keep you from dying.

You don't have a right to live for free, if a group of doctors don't want to operate on you because you can't afford to give them something that makes their time spent helping you worth it (money) then you die, I'm sorry.

Your european government will gladly point guns at people who have what doctors want (money), take the money from those people, and then tell them how much they're allowed to charge, to save your life

>revolution
>edgy pic

>edgy capitalism hating
>edgy wall of text about attention spans and assorted other "in their nature" fedoracore beliefs

No, you won't get a free trip to college. Just fuck off you underaged faggot, you have no idea how politics and the Internet works in the slightest.

>Most of them just want to eat,watch TV or play some Call of Duty, or whatever the hell people are into nowadays.

Another thing to realize is that people in today's enviroment are overstimulated. Our brain and body didn't evolve in an enviroment of cheap, and always available carbs, video games, smartphones, porn etc. Most people just don't have the antibodies for this kind of stuff. Me too, since I'm quite addicted to shitposting.

>optimistic burger thinks he will have $ to pay for his medical insurance forever

Current system has worst traits of authoritarianism and capitalism. Intel ME is already spying on you and US govt already dumps tens of billions $, if not more, into alphabet soup agencies.

You don't even have to make backups anymore, it's all in the utah datacenter lol: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

false dichotomy.

>thinking I'm OP-kun
I only visit Sup Forums once in a month, and this time I happened to see this thread.

>wall of text
have you taken you ADHD meds, user?

>special burgers with adhd medication in the sauce

>I have a hunch that most complexity in todays OS' stems from the fact they have to run on architectures from the 70's.
Architectures from the 70's are simple. It's everything that was bolted on afterwards that's complicated.

>being this autistic and edgy to the point where at least formatting your opinions is "ADHD"

Its very obvious that you have some degree of autism. Judging from your blind hatred of commonalities you have spent some time on reddit or tumblr as well. The best option is to purge yourself from the earth before you reproduce.

>Symbolics lisp machines

>Later desktop computers built by Apple and IBM would also offer a simpler and more popular architecture to run LISP applications on. By 1987 they had become more powerful than the more expensive Lisp machines. The desktop computers had rule-based engines such as CLIPS available.[28] These alternatives left consumers with no reason to buy an expensive machine specialized for running LISP. An entire industry worth half a billion dollars was replaced in a single year.[29]

I just want automatic bounds checking and other similar niceties, that's all.

I'm quite the opposite from autistic type of person, I tend to empathize with other people. That's why I agree with OP that we are using tech to do wrong things and we should use it more responsibly.

It's just that my perspective is quite different from yours because I live on the other side of the globe and english isn't even my native language.

>We have created a Star Wars civilization, with Stone Age emotions, medieval institutions, and godlike technology.

You can do it at language VM level. Though adding this into LD ST instructions shouldn't be hard, I agree.

I like smalltalk machines even more than lisp ones, they are more visual and simpler to use.

I remember a movie where they show a 3d subdivision modeling program on a lisp machine. I doubt that PCs in the late 80's where in the same ballpark.

You could get that in x86 if everything was in its own segment. AMD gimped segments when they made AMD64.