/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_entries
nvidia.com/object/unix.html
logicalincrements.com/mouse
infoworld.com/article/2621446/server-virtualization/server-virtualization-top-10-benefits-of-server-virtualization.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Repostin from the old thread.

What do you guys think about openSUSE?
I'm still new when it comes to linux.
I somehow cant use ubuntu on my laptop because of the uefi.
Im a java dev i want something that just werks.

Reminder that "I have done your mother" is a quote of one of many faked emails conversations.

How to spot fake RMS mails? RMS is a programmer and fortmats his mails with 80 characters with.

console being spammed with the following on my xfs array.I have defregged,repaired the array and it still continues to happen.during the error write/read speeds drop down to 1Mb/s.
What else can i do?
XFS: java(15797) possible memory allocation deadlock size 62352 in kmem_alloc (mode:0x2400240)

I think Tumbleweed seems like a very interesting distro. Rolling release and tested by OpenQA is very tempting.

The live system wouldn't boot up on my laptop, though. And that's why I haven't considered using it yet.

ext4 doesn't have that problem

>dosent know shit about any filesystem or uses

How to buy a good mouse that works on Ubuntu 16.04?

Is there a reason not to install 64bit linux, even if the machine has less than 4GB of RAM?

No

>even if the machine has less than 4GB of RAM
>he fell for that one shitpost in that other thread

it's hard enough to find a mouse that doesn't.
kensington trackballs and steelseries mice are pretty nice. steelseries mice with colors won't have software to change the colors though.

since im a cheap ass i torrented FTL and im having some problems. So im using linux and I can play it and everything but to open the game everytime i have to run the script in the terminal. im new to linux and have no idea but is there a way to make it like a .exe or soemthing similar?

Google bashrc shortcut
have fun

Just create a FTL.desktop file and point it to the script. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_entries
>guy asks for help
>sends him to the botnet lions
DUDE

$ dmesg | grep -c "SELinux: initialized (dev tmpfs, type tmpfs), uses transition SIDs"

W-what?

I'm using this mouse It's pretty nice and has good accuracy and battery life.

You should always use an operating system compiled for the CPU instruction set (and feature set I guess) your computer uses.

So yes even if you have less than 4GB of ram you should be using 64bit archtype if that is what your CPU supports.

It's useless to recommend specific models, because they do not exist in my country. I need parameters!

What? Do you think Google doesn't already know that user torrented?

where are you from? palm or claw grip? budget? did you consider trackballs as your lord and saviour?

should I stick to the 361 proprietary drivers that Ubuntu has or install 364 from the ppa?

>gaming
No. These models are costly only because they have "gamer" on the name.

why would you need the ones from the PPA? why would you even use PPA?

Depends do you want KMS support or not?

nvidia.com/object/unix.html

>Latest Long Lived Branch version: 361.42
>Latest Short Lived Branch version: 364.19

So it depends. I would stick with 361.

>where are you from?
I'm from South America.

>palm or claw grip?
???

>budget?
dunno

>did you consider trackballs as your lord and saviour?
No. Appears to be a stupid device.

what's wrong with them? are they super unstable?

yes, and wayland/mir support too

nevermind, i just found this on arch wiki

>Note: The proprietary NVIDIA driver (since 364.12) also implements kernel mode-setting, but it does not use the built-in kernel implementation and it lacks an fbdev driver for the high-resolution console.

Well currently the only Wayland compositor supported by Nvidia's implementation of KMS is a patched version of Weston due to some falling out in how the GPU should be accessed through KMS or something so you should be careful about the 364 series.

>???
Fuck off.

HUE BRR
>I'm from South America.
should not be too much of a problem
>???
pic related
read all information on logicalincrements.com/mouse before buying anything.
>dunno
good mice can be found at anything above 20 bucks. i personally paid 25€ for my kensington orbit and 50€ for my steelseries rival. but it's your money, be responsible with it.
>No. Appears to be a stupid device.
i would recommend you to test them out if you can.

You are not being friendly.

>don't want to "pollute" my system with some software
>look up systemd-nspawn
>install arch in a directory (pacstrap) from my current install (everything except for the kernel)
>literally one command and I can boot into a container which is basically a separate arch installation where i can install all the shit i don't want on my main machine (like ruby and other sass shit needed to edit gtk themes)

>want to install windows in a virtual machine
>look up qemu
>literally one tiny command to get it going as opposed to installing virtual box
>need to create an image of the windows installation dvd
>put it in, literally one tiny dd command as opposed to installing separate software with a GUI for it

I've been using Linux for 2 years now, but only now realized how great this is.

>20 bucks
US$?

Mind sharing the commands? Looking to play with both myself.

It's just normal use of systemd-nspawn, qemu and dd.

For example, you can create an image (copy a file) from a DVD by just doing dd if=/dev/sr0 of=my_iso.iso. That's a hundred times more convenient than hunting down a GUI program on Windows to do it.

I dont get the point of virtulization.Why is it a thing? It literally serves no purpose. Why would people run servers and shit from it,instead of getting a functioning server,that isnt dependent on a host machine being up.

ok, thanks

The reason why virtualization is a thing is because you can split you can split up many different tasks or have completely different Operating Systems run on one machine rather than 10 taking up a whole server rack.

By that same effect the power usage for servers goes down because you don't need to power like 20 of them to accomplish simple tasks that can be done on one host machine distributed into many separate guest Operating Systems.

There's tons of reasons though.

Here's a shitty tech article because I can't be arsed to make up all the arguments myself.

infoworld.com/article/2621446/server-virtualization/server-virtualization-top-10-benefits-of-server-virtualization.html

Things have obviously changed since 2011 though, with the increased use of containers etc. which also helps tackle some of the challenges virtualization have been doing for some time.

It's not always the virtualization itself that is so interesting, as it is that you can get generic, fluid, movable and reproducable environements etc.

Anyone have an idea why I need to

systemctl restart NetworkManager

after every boot to get WLAN? I'm on Antergos+Plasma

If I don't do it, there's no wireless, just ethernet

are you sure you even have NetworkManager enabled?

>reproducable environements
Thinnet clients have been doing that for well over 40 years
All the link is saying that there is a single point of failure,for ALL of your tasks,they dont seem to know what chroot is, cannot maintain a proper raid array, and lack basic skills in backup management and are pushing "MUHH CLOUDZZZZ"

Enable it permanently, don't restart it.

It's difficult to sum it all up in a short post on an imageboard, because it surely doesn't seem like you have much experience in this field. You should keep an open mind.

>All the link is saying that there is a single point of failure,for ALL of your tasks
Lots of things in an OS is "single point of failure". A hypervisor is not that unique in that regard.

>they dont seem to know what chroot is
Not at all comparable.

I did 'enable' and 'start' after a fresh boot just to make sure. It does nothing.

Only after 'restart' does the wireless connection appear.

So I guess it *is* enabled and running, it just needs a slap every restart. Other than that, I'm lost

you could always set NetworkManager to restart every time you boot up X11 but thats a bit hacky.

Do you have another "network manager" running? Like either simple dhcpcd or connman or netctl?

Am I the only one using wicd-curses?

No, I use it. Why would you think nobody was using it?

Not as far as I can tell.

My system is still pretty much fresh, as it was pre-configures by the Antergos installer. I only installed pidgin, phpstorm and fingerprint-gui.

When my wifi disappeared (after working for the first boot initially), I played around with network CLI tools, but did not enable any services throught systemctl.

I also did not install anything new, apart from `dialog` so that I could have a look at wifi-menu

So I am still convinced that I did not do anything to fuck this stuff up. But I might have missed something.

Thanks for your help. You guys rock

Try using netctl,way less problems then NM

>3
Because it's deprecated and abandoned.

Anyone has an idea how to configure LUKS to use a key file from an USB stick?

Yes,its on the arch wiki

Haha, totally overlooked this.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties

It just works.

This sounds like you messed up the service file.
Like maybe it starts too soon.
Usually it should start after network.target or something like that.

Interesting thought. I will try to look into this tomorrow. Thank you

complete noob at arch, when it says to uncomment en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 in the beginner guide how do i do this?

remove the # infront of en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

use a text editor like nano, edit the file, save.

Yes but what commands do i use to make this happen?

>text editor like nano

nano /etc/locale.gen

Only sed, the standard stream editor,
do this
sed -i 's/^\#\(en_US\.U.*\)/\1/' /etc/locale.gen

or
sed -i 's/^\#//' /etc/locale.gen # ;)

I've set myself up with ubuntu server and getting used to it pretty nicely after the first few hurdles.

What's some useful shit I can do for my home network? Ubuntu is running on a server with dual NIC so I have enough bandwidth.

Could I for example somehow encrypt all the incoming/sent data to and from the internet or some shit?

How can I improve my desktop

fucking piece of shit broadcom drivers you are working fine on my laptop and were fine months ago when i had linux installed on this computer but now you're dropping packets constantly and i know the router isn't the issue and several fixes on the arch wiki and other wikis don't seem to help just fuck you

>1540 packages

t. guy who never programmed a piece of code

What's the problem?

What the fuck you on about.

What are you on about? Why does it matter if there are 1500 packages.

Confirmed.

You don't have to download the entire python library to use python etc

Most of those packages are just bloat.

A high package count doesn't say anything.
I've over 2k packages on my Debian, 50% -dev packages you need for compiling.

This high package count meme needs to stop.

>Bloat
Oh wow. Why do you even care? What is your HDD like 40GB or something?

I'm just confused how not trying to download your entire repository means you've never programmed.

when installing grub to my arch drive i get a error

grub-install: warning: Attempting to install grub to a disk with multiple partition labels. This is not supported yet...
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. Hoewever, blocklists and UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged...
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Is this important? If it is how do i fix it?

Debian based distros usually make different packages for binaries and development libraries, that's one of the reasons it looks "bloated" to ignorant people like you

Dont use broadcom.

ditch grub and all its retarded loops and use syslinux(its syntax is way less fucked then grub2)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux

>read all information on logicalincrements.com/mouse before buying anything
I will, thanks.

Dude, you still haven't done anything since the last time you asked. You've just changed the wallpaper. Did you ignore all my advice?

Not sure who you are.

You've posted you desktop a few days and I replied with ways to improve your desktop. Or your desktop looks identical to someone else.

I see, what commands would i use to install it instead? And does me already trying to install grub affect anything?

Well what do you suggest I change.

I have 16 gb ram. Do I need a swap partition?. Also remember the current year. Thanks

>16GB RAM
XD

install gentoo

Are you sure that you mean GB?

>fell for the 16GiB meme

Where can i find this gentoo for free?

Wht hte fuck is this core file in my home folder?

I was a Linux user. I got a job and I tought I needed a new pc. I feel for the gaming pc meme. Now I realize that I hated windows and don't play games. I am not going to sell this pc. Please be understanding. Have a nice day

Have you ever actually hit 100% RAM usage?
If not, you don't need swap.

Basically, if you needed more than 16GB, you wouldn't have to ask us, you'd already know.

I'll offer my first thoughts, although I have no experience with XFS. Some Java app is running with that PID or the JVM implementation you are using is trying to malloc the same block of memory twice, deadlocking it. It is strange to me that XFS is reporting it unless you have a Java application running XFS or XFS depends on Java somehow.

Anyway, I would do a ps -lyF -p 15797 to get the full command that is triggering the deadlock and look into it that way. Replace the number with the current PID at fault, or do something looping like:

watch 'ps -ely -p $(pgrep java)'

which as long as your shell returns sub-shell commands normally will give you a nice Java monitor. Could do the same with XFS too, or check in /var/log for any XFS logs. Java IIRC keeps logs in /run somewhere.