/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM
head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HD600 or HE400s?

My xonar essence stx should be good enough for a pair of hd600s or 650s, right? Or is there an external amp (and dac?) that would be significantly better for under $300

It's more than good enough.

Any opinions on the Plantronics BackBeat Pro wireless headphones?

Reposting from the last thread.
I have the opportunity to get some mth m50-xs for 90 bucks brand new, should I go for it? It'll be my first "real" headphones, not planning on getting an amp or a DAC or anything, unless you guys think I'd need one. Thanks.

I have one for my q701 and asked about it on /hpg/. As I recalled the replies were
>lel soundcards
>sell it
>enjoy your graphic card static

I decided to try audition my headphones on a schiit stack and they sound exactly the same, and the stx had more features.

maybe I have shitty hearing after flying a turboprop for 6 plus years. who knows.

If you like a bassy sound, sure, the price is ok for what it delivers.

It's good enough but an external amp like the fiio e10k offers potentially louder volume and more importantly an analog volume knob. Having a dedicated knob for the headphones is pretty sweet at least for me.

Yeah I'd say I like bass but not if it's muddy, are these nasty bassy or more clear.

good to know. from what i can gather most people think the schiit stack, o2/odac and xonar sound very similar. haven't been able to hear any static under normal conditions
would be nice but not worth the cost, i can just set the amp to 300-600ohms when i get the new headphones

Does Sup Forums approve?

>gaymen headset.

Get a decent pair of headphones and a ModMic.

If anyone remembers i'm the guy who decided on keeping his 702's as an end game headphone and they broke 20 minutes after deciding that. One of you suggested opening them up and looking at the cables, well it turns out one of the two cables (red one) has completely come away, almost as if the solder has snapped. I'd imagine soldering that will instantly fix them.

Just a head's up in case one side of your akg's stops working for no reason. I say no reason but I do lay them down on my desk when I take them off because my headphone stand is on a different cupboard in my room. i'm very careful when placing them down...but still, fucking hell.

They look extremely comfy though, how do you top that comfy level?

By hd800

I live in a 3rd world country.

Bait.

See >Headset requests are frowned upon.

What country? What's your budget?
Try filling the purchase advice form, maybe there's a better option.

I thought it would acceptable to ask about it since it's a top seller headset and probably has an established opinion base here.

Get 7506s. Audio Technica cans are all way too muddy.

>Budget
50$
>Location
Israel
>Source
PC
>Preferred type of headphone
Full size headset (has to be a headset)
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
very high
>Preferred tonal balance
Base
>Preferred music
chillstep
>Past headphones
Chinese garbage

Is there a Spectrum Analyser for DSD files out there like Spek? .dsf files won't work with Spek for some reason. Like how can I tell if someone encoded a mp3 file to DSD.

Oh yeah inb4 DSD is meme and PCM>DSD. Is there a Spek tool to check it?

an e10k isn't louder than a xonar essence stx. e10k is 2.6 volts max and xonar is 7 volts max.

and the xonar is pretty good for noise performance too. I think mostly because it has no potentiometer. The magni 2 uber is -104 db/v, the o2 is -112db/v, and the stx is -110db/v.

It's actually a pretty good dac and amp for high impedance headphones.

>50$
>has to be a headset

guess youre staying with just newer chinese garbage for a while

You're spending too much time on these threads.

Thinking of getting the dt880 with the fiio e10k. Recommendations?

>Budget
10$
>Location
Syria
>Source
Nokia
any
>Open or closed
closed very good isolation (bombs are loud)
>Comfort level
doesn't matter
>Preferred tonal balance
sound
>Preferred music
nasheed
>Past headphones
Russian garbage

I'd recommend the HD600s over those simply because it's more comfy and very neutral

>xonar is 7 volts max.
Do you have a source for that number?

I don't really know where to post this, I tried on /sqt/, but with no results. If anyone, I think you guys might be able to help me. It's a little off topic, so feel free to ignore it:

>I have a very unusual microphone problem. I don't have a slightest idea what might be causing it.
>
>I have an Asus 1015pn, and my internal and external microphone doesn't seem to work. I tested the external microphone on my brothers laptop and it works fine. When I try to record something on my laptop there is only static (both on internal and external).
>The really confusing part is the fact, that the same thing happens under Win7, Ubuntu 14.04 and whichever OS I boot from a flash drive. I also have two different external USB sound cards (they have the same chip though), which work on my brothers laptop, but if I try to record something through them on my netbook (tried on Ubuntu and Win7), the same thing happens as with my original sound card.
>To add salt to the injury, very rarely and totally at random (at least I can't determine what it's related to) when I boot up my Ubuntu and plug in the microphone, it somehow works. Usually there is noise in the background.
>The problem started about 2 years ago.
>
>Any ideas?

I agree about HD600 being closer to neutral, but imo DT880 is comfier.

HE400S has slightly slightly better impact, bass, mids and detail but it has a strange treble that's worse than the HD600's. HD600 also has a bigger soundstage and it's more relaxing if you want that kind of laid back signature

I've had the DT990, which seems to be identical in size and everything, and the cups are too small in diameter for my ears. I had constant pain in the top of my ears with that after one hour of use.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of DT 770 with amp. Woul'd you guys recommend them?

They're pretty great V shaped closed headphones. Very easy to drive, any amp will do as far as I know

>seems to be identical in size
It is, i've compared a friends DT990 to my DT880,in a blind test it would be rather hard to tell them apart just from the comfort, still, i felt that the circular shape of the Beyer was more comfortable on my jaw than the oval on the HD600, maybe it's a head size vs. ear size difference that give us different opinions on it.
Yeah, great closed-back option, as long as you are ok with v-shape FR.

I just bought the V-sonic GR02 Bass Edition, are they any good or should I stick with my Sony-MDREXLP15?

stereophile and personalaudio.ru measured it and got 7 volts.

I messed up the math on the noise. It's going to be -107db/v if asus says -124db at full voltage (7 volts).

nvm. I just read through this and I'm convinced that PCM>DSD.
ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm

>Any time that the signal is manipulated, more and more noise is added to the signal. These high-frequency noises can lead to damage of downstream equipment including amplifiers and loudspeakers. Therefore the official Sony specification (the “Scarlet Book”) specifies a third-order low-pass filter starting at 50 kHz

>Since DSD is a one-bit format it is literally impossible to perform any signal manipulation at all — even a fade-out. So to perform recording in the modern methods where signals are mixed, EQ’d faded, reverb added, et cetera, all of the DSD signals must first be transcoded into PCM (or analog) signals, then the signal processing applied, and finally re-modulating the signal back into DSD, adding another layer of high-frequency noise.

I think I'll just stick with using PCM and .flac files. Is DSD a placebo meme?

So my fischer audio FA-011 just broke today (ripped the cable), and well, I wanted an upgrade anyways.

Can someone give me some recommendations? I want

>Open headphones
>Planar
>

>I've heard that he he400s has very crappy bass
It has crappy bass for planars. It's not any worse than the bass of other $300 cans. And it can be improved by switching pads.
And they're also very sensitive, meaning you can ditch your shitty tube amp.

Are there any dacs, or headphone amps that work with phones? FiiO dacs seem to never work.

looks like the back of my hair dryer I just got

Panasonic ErgoFit In-Ear Earbud Headphones RP-HJE120-K

Salam

/hpg/ - Headphone General Anonymous ▶

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:

Previous thread: +41 replies and 5 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
Anonymous 05/11/16(Wed)12:51:12 No.54498296▶
File: YvTgQCo.jpg (251 KB, 1632x918)
251 KB

So my fischer audio FA-011 just broke today (ripped the cable), and well, I wanted an upgrade anyways.

Can someone give me some recommendations? I want

>Open headphones
>Planar
>>
Anonymous 05/11/16(Wed)12:53:24 No.54498324▶

>I've heard that he he400s has very crappy bass
It has crappy bass for planars. It's not any worse than the bass of other $300 cans. And it can be improved by switching pads.
And they're also very sensitive, meaning you can ditch your shitty tube amp.

>>
Anonymous 05/11/16(Wed)12:57:03 No.54498381▶

Are there any dacs, or headphone amps that work with phones? FiiO dacs seem to never work.

>>
Anonymous 05/11/16(Wed)13:00:36 No.54498421▶

looks like the back of my hair dryer I just got

>>
Anonymous 05/11/16(Wed)13:03:03 No.54498461▶

Panasonic ErgoFit In-Ear Earbud Headphones RP-HJE120-K

Salam

/hpg/ - Headphone General Anonymous 05/11/16(Wed)09:21:22 No.54495528 [Reply]▶

pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Anonymous 05/11/16(Wed)12:53:24
Salam

The fuck?

Uh, that was unexpected... An explanation would be nice, user.

The 400i sells for $300 occasionally. I'd sell my mint one to you for $300 but yeah no I'm not doing that on Sup Forums.

Are you in europe by chance?

Nope, sorry.

They became obsolete when RHA released the MA750. Better bass and cheaper.

>Budget
100€, hard limit
>Location
Germany
>Source
Desktop computer, Android smartphone
Full-sized, over-ear
>Open or closed
Both are acceptable. Closed preferred.
>Comfort level
Comfy, plan on wearing them a lot and for a long time period.
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy or V-shaped
>Preferred music
Anything electro with a lot of bass and treble: Breakcore, hardcore, speedcore, EDM. Things like deadmau5, LAPFOX TRAX, goreshit, t+pazolite. Also trap and cloud rap.
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-XB500 (favourite)
Sennheiser HD 439 (loved them)

I need a long wear set to use for work. I would like to have an integrated headset, but I just learned about modmic and I am willing to do that instead

>Budget
Around $300, flexible.
>Location
United States
>Source
PC
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfort above all else.
>Preferred tonal balance
none
>Preferred music
none
>Past headphones
Logitech gaming headset, bullshit off brand headset.

Are there any good (as in lasting), portable headphones that aren't IEMs? I'll fill out the template if so, but if not, I'll probably just stick to $2 shit that lasts me a few months.

Sony MDR-7506?

dt770 80 ohm

extremely comfy for long-term listening, not horribly hard to power well, under your budget even with a modmic and will be much, much more comfortable and better sounding than your logitech headset

fostex t50 rp mk3 is also a good and better sounding contestant if you don't like an extremely v-shaped sound signature but is nowhere close to as comfy and different pads that fix the issue seem to really ruin and mess with the sound from my experience with zmf pads on them

Should I get an amp for my MDR-V6s? Would it really make a difference in sound?

Not really. If you get static/hissing/pops you'd be better off going for a DAC instead. amps will not magically turn your V-6's into anything amazing, the only reason to get one instead of using your onboard audio is if it can't power them to high enough volume. It does affect sound but to such diminishing returns that you're better off just buying different headphones than spending 80 bucks on a mediocre amp for a ~70 dollar headphone

takstar hi-2050

>5-11-16

>trust my opinion guys, look at all my other crappy gaming peripherals

How do you guys clean non replaceable foam earpads?

I just used some damped cloth, it worked. Looks clean but still smells pretty bad.

Soak in hydrogen peroxide. Squeeze with towel a few times. Let dry. Repeat if needed.

Just got HD650s in the post. Despite being pretty darn similar to the 600s I owned before, I like these a LOT more.

I see what people are talking about when they say veiled but I think that's really an exaggeration and they are not as soft on the ears as the 600s. I can see why these would be end-game for plenty of people.

Just my 2 cents.

What are you driving them with?

Only an Objective2; it did a very admirable job with the 600s and it sounds great with the 650s as well.

Main differences I can detect between the two is some lower mid frequency body is slightly shifted back towards the mid-bass which puts a bit more weight behind the sound. Treble extension is also improved, but I would have to A/B them to confirm that.

Join the IDF. Free headset, comes with helmet and even a Mitznefet if you're lucky

Post timestamp Sennshill.

I sent my asgard 2 in for repairs. I miss it.

heh.. nothin' personnel, kid

Same. I auditioned both at audio concepts, and walked out with the hd650. I preferred it even to the hd800. I have yet to hear the hd800S though.

what keyboard

>veiled
>not as soft on the ears as the 600s
How can it be both? Anyway I was going to get hd600s, now you are making me second guess myself. Would you say the difference in sound is more due to technical improvements or just a different sound signature

Not the same user, but i share his opinion. Because the 600 doesn't extend as low (or high) and doesn't have as much umph in the mid bass. Neither are harsh or sibilant at all which is why some gradofags would call them veiled.

Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Ninja w/ Brown switches

The veil is mostly noticeable when listening to aggressive rock; but I feel like I really have to listen for it whereas my temptation is to just enjoy the music. Some people say it's like a curtain is in front of the performance, I don't think that's true at all. This characteristic also lends itself extremely well to classical and vocal jazz, but so far they sound great with everything I have thrown at them.

The 600s I found soft because of their treble tuning, not due to any overall veil. Like I said, treble including microdetails seem more present on the 650s but not at all analytical.

I don't know about technical improvements, they are still similar phones but I do now see why the 650 has historically cost a bit more.

Oh, and you can get them for 233 GBP shipped from Amazon UK as of right this moment, I don't know if that beats US pricing but it blows Canadian pricing out of the water.

why would you buy a severely overpriced cherry switch keyboard?

I wanted a no-frills TKL keyboard, and the lettering being printed on the side of the keycaps was also very appealing as I find the keycap lettering is usually the first thing to go with normal wear and tear.

I didn't find it overpriced relative to alternatives, but I live in Canada. Those in the US have access to a lot of great mech. keyboard sites without needing to pay 13% import duties and crazy shipping costs. Keyboards are heavy stuff man.

filco shit nears topre level pricing without the benefit of good switches like topres. you can get kbs with cherry switches (and replace the keycaps later) for like $60usd

Yep, when I checked it was $303 shipped where I am. Trying to hurry and make a decision since I don't want to deal with international returns if I don't like them
If you don't think they would sound veiled coming from hd595s I would probably jump on the deal
Now I think I should go for the 600s again, if you think they're more "neutral"

Again, I'm sure that's true and I'm not doubting you, but that $60USD can easily become over $100USD when importing to Canada.

I never said they were more neutral, and my opinion on that matter is irrelevant as everyone perceives neutrality differently. 650 mainly just has slightly better extension on both ends and a more weighty midbass section if I had to sum it up.

head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

Also a great read, he basically concludes that they are extremely similar and the 650s are just slightly darker. I can't A/B anymore to confirm that but I do prefer brighter phones usually and I prefer the 650s now.

I am also extremely sensitive to phones with recessed upper mids since the majority of my library is female vocals, and like him I'm pretty taken aback by how well the upper registers are still presented on this headphone.

At this point I don't think you can go wrong with either. There's no way to know for sure without trying both.

Thanks for the link. I would have just bought both and returned one pair but they will probably never be on sale at the same time. Next best thing would be to compare them to my 595s- I think the 600s might be more similar to my 595s based on what you said about the mids, since those are also supposed to be higher on the 595s

>head-fi review
into the trash it goes

Pretty ignorant comment, I've spoken to the author of that review and he is a really nice guy with a lot of experience reviewing. He puts work into his reviews and I generally agree with his findings.

nobody cares about your shitty opinions or the shitty opinions of a head-fi mod.

where the fuck do you think you are?

u ok??

go back to head-fi

I don't think I have ever seen someone so worked up over nothing.

It'll be okay when you realize there is more to life than what websites you frequent. ;^)

>crossposting cancer
>meme face with carat nose
fuck off already.

LMAO'ing @ ur life

>literal Sup Forums tier shitposting
(You)

Yeah, you're a great contribution to this thread, but I'm the shitposter.

Keep it up big guy!

>zeos fan
oh it just gets better.

you have literally contributed nothing of value to this thread, don't kid yourself

>Budget
$100-150, flexible
>Location
US
>Source
desktop, laptop and smartphone
Full-sized, over-ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
comfortable and preferably not too bulky, I'd like to walk around with them.
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy or V-shaped
>Preferred music
trap, dubstep, metal, electronic, I like things with a lot of bass
>Past headphones
a series of 20 dollar earbuds

I really enjoy the dark and bassy music and would like to find something that can handle it and I could wear around everywhere without them falling apart. Looking cool is a bonus but not necessary.

There's this one idiot who lurks /hpg/ who will argue about anything and everything to have the last word. You are doing the wise thing in letting him feel like he's won something by not responding any further.