How much programming experience should I have before going into computer science?

How much programming experience should I have before going into computer science?

Don't you learn programming in computer science?

No need experience, first year you start with C++ and all the basics.
Everything you know before university, it is better for you. :)

>>NADA wallou 0

17 years or you're fucked

None and by the time you finish comp sci you'll be taught next to none.

Preferably zero.

So you don't start out with any bad habits.

Some. Or else they'll teach you bad habits.

Source: watched my uni teaching bad habits

the more the merrier user

>16
you are under age

>programming
>computer science
now I may be retarded but if you want to do some software based shit CS is far from what you'll want, it being focused more on hardware than software.

At least be able to work your way around a raspberry PI. It's probably as challenging as some sophomore level CS classes at your average public college

At least at my uni they have Computer Science which is more software and cryptography oriented, and then Computer Systems which is more hardware oriented

It's the summer so buying a C++ or Java book couldn't help. I'm reading the "Starting out with C++" book by Tony Gaddis.

Is 26 too old to study CS?

Best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is now.

Plant your tree user.

let's suppose you live to be 70. you study CS over the next 4 years. that leaves you 40 years to practice your craft. what do you think.

men in ancient sparta went through training their entire youth and weren't done or considered a free adult until 30, you aren't old.

Zero. Pick up a discrete mathematics book and read it cover to cover.

Don't worry pajeet, they'll assume you know fuck all. Spend your summer shit posting.

I'm doing IT.
Is there any reason not to kill myself?

you should know how to do basic (precalulus level) algorithmic analysis and write robust code (error handling) with unit tests (no one likes writing or using unit tests, but your users will love you). you should understand a full development environment including syntax highlighting and compilation options. you should know the areas of focus that exist like operating systems, networking, security, databases, compilers, file systems, server-client programs, desktop apps, web apps, mobile apps, etc. you should have a public code repository with some of your work even if it's lame and simple stuff. you should work on at least one open source project so you learn how to work in a team with an existing code base.

your degree will be either real world or theoretical. the latter is better and from top 25-35 schools, but you won't learn much practical stuff and will have to supplement your official learning with self teaching.

>tfw I know this feel after deciding senior year to drop engineering and go for CS

Not true all the time, but painful when it is. My CS courses were mostly theoretical, so you gotta practice programming outside of school or you'll be fucked

Massive overkill for year 1 comp sci, this would be great to have but I doubt this poster even had these credentials going into school and if (s)he did then there probably wasn't much of a childhood involved.

>not going into a startup at age 19.
git gud, kouhai

Ok.

i like this advice
this is nice advice
thanks user

Go chase your dreams fami

That's actually a pretty decent book for a total beginner. My intro C++ class used it and the examples and descriptions are easy to follow.

But since I'm an engineer whose field literally has zero use for C++ or programming it's time to forget everything I learned

Unless you are into engineering which are born to be more "practical" and give you a high salary job into industries. Choose your favorite engineering :
Software engineer
Electrical and computer engineering
Informatics eng
Systems eng
Or whatever they call it since basically they go into hardware or software.

which one pays the most and has the most job offerings

Depends on the country. I can tell you every one has a degree about computers focused on hardware or software.

Focus on software : informatics, informatics eng, system analysis, system eng, software eng. They are basically all the same with different names.

Focus on hardware : electrical and computer eng, electrical eng.

About money? Go to softawere focused one since there's a lot of job. The hardware one sadly have no market in most of countries exept maybe in USA, Germany and China.

I'm american but the hardware industry isn't looking too hot compared to the software industry.

All of it.

What did he mean by this

>I'm american but the hardware industry isn't looking too hot compared to the software industry.

hardware industry: a PhD or Masters will get you a job, jobs start around 125k
software industry: a HS diploma will get you a job, jobs start around 80k

Which one of those is the new politically correct term for plumber?

Yeah it makes complete sense but for some reason employers only want young folk who rely on the government/parents to fund their education to give jobs.

>Some. Or else they'll teach you bad habits.
>Source: watched my uni teaching bad habits

Using namespace std

Why even bother turning on a computer?

The same amount of experience you have when you graduate.

Zero.

you'll be fine, OP

If you are going into CS without at least 2 years of programming experience to iron out your noobie years then you are basically unemployable.

Its not to late as long as you actively program outside of the course work

None. Its a fucking meme.

minimum:
5 years experience in any language
Public github with 3 projects
bonus:
startup experience

if you don't have this don't even bother applying

I have a diploma how do I get into software?

You don't need anything. It might help for your first year, but I didn't know shit except some basic logic and I'm doing fine.

you need experience with PowerPoint first for sure

>algo analysis at pre-calc level
1 year comp sci AP
>error handling and unit tests
1 summer internship
>understand an IDE
the above will cover it
>areas of focus
you don't have to know all of these, just that they exist and that takes maybe 2 weeks on Google
>public code repository
the above will cover it, but 1 year after comp sci ap you should have something written
>work on an open source project
forget your own code, just spend junior year of high school in comp sci AP, summer internship, spend senior year contributing to an open source project

it's not even 2 years of part time education! if you start coding freshman year of high school then you'll easily accomplish all of this and more.

hardware has high barrier to entry costs. you can code for free.

which is why software jobs are full of pajeet & friends while only pasty-white neckbeards do ASIC design and computer architecture

>How much programming experience should I have before going into computer science?

not much really. I went in knowing shit about C# and that helped me for my first CS class that did coding in C.

but honestly you could do it without knowing dick about coding languages since that's the purpose of the intro CS classes is to teach the fucking basics and weed out people who don't give any fucks about coding.

When you troll, but you're suffering on the inside

Visio helps as well

the guy who created usb was indian. fuck you.

great, that explains why I have to get a completely new set of jacks/cables every 2-4 years

thanks based pajeet

pic related, glorious american-designed connector standard which hasn't needed an upgrade, new jack/port design, or version number in decades

About tree fiddy.

To put it simply: the more, the better.

PS. CS student on first year.

found the plumber

Is your code really that bad