Desktop ricing: Does seeing this as overwhelming mean I'm dumb?

Listen Sup Forums, I've just finished the wiki, and while it gives plenty of information for the what, it does a poor job explaining the how.

See pic related? How is this accomplished??

>sleek, minimalist top mounted taskbar
>sleek, minimalist windows
>truly beautiful music player

I'm completely abandoning windows at the end on this month, turning my Debian partition into my only OS.

Where do I start? How do I make my desktop look like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AjSP8iZyhTE?t=5
github.com/DrabWeb/iTerm2
sr.ht/6Vg_.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump for Trayvon

Bump for Bernie

Try Google.com or or even

Well, that's i3 so you can just set the task bar to the top and add padding between windows. I'm pretty sure that's Git ncmpcpp and the image viewer is Ranger. Depending on what terminal you use (I use urxvt.) You'll probably have to set undecorated globally.

wut

there's a wiki and a reddit about ricing
just lurk more lad

Op here

So, does the desktop in the pic use a DE? or is it only a window manager? Can one be used without the other?

sorry, forgot to clarify: say I install my distro with gnome or xfce, can I then just install a window manager on top to achieve the laf pictured above?

feh for background
urxvt for terminal (with custom Xresources)
i3 with i3-gaps
compton for window shadowing
custom css for Sup Forums
custom css for firefox
ncmpcpp with custom config

and that's it I think

>someone made a thread with my desktop as OP
This feels weird.

Pretty much this.
Except you have to use i3-gaps (for the gaps between the windows obviously). Also it's not ncmpcpp-git just the normal one. I'm running it in tmux together with cava (for the visualisation part).
To rice your browser just use firefox, install the stylish addon and add a css (maybe start with twily's, that's what I did)
The most important part is to pick a color-scheme and stick with it.

Not bad.
You forgot ranger (with w3m for image display) and cava for music visualisation though.

Oh and also weechat with custom config for irc.

How to you customize urxvt

is a window manager, you can use it with other DE like XFCE

perfect, thank you!

I want my desktop layout to be near identical, I'll choose different colors, but other than that it feels...comfy for some reason

You'll give up before even beginning to understand the configuration syntax of whichever MEME window manager you've decided to go with.

Lol kys

i3 is simple though and there are lots of pre-made configs were you just have to change the color-scheme.

thanks user!

and sorry for those failures, I never used before
I use feh for images and cmus for music without visualizer

>Debian
>anime
>tiles
good luck being a meme

A daily reminder that while autists "rice" their "arch" "rigs" (until X doesn't start lol), engineers do cutting edge robotics research using Ubuntu:
youtu.be/AjSP8iZyhTE?t=5

>not liking hybrid WM

what are u, gay?

Ricing is fun, deal with it an fuck off or just kill yourself.
You can rice Ubuntu too.

Switching to Ubuntu isn't going to magically get you hired at an engineering firm.

>until X doesn't start lol
>Wants to warn of memes, but actually believes in them himself
Ayy

>A daily reminder that while autists "rice" their "arch" "rigs" (until X doesn't start lol), I'll be hunting down their threads to call them names, making myself feel better about my "job" in the process.

Ironicly enough I actually HAVE a job in software engineering. (It may not be robotics, but it IS a job at least)
I am the guy which desktop OP posted, btw.

Your desktop is shit.

Thank you, I worked really hard at it :^)

>Switching to Ubuntu isn't going to magically get you hired at an engineering firm.

Using a proven industry standard OS allows me to focus on study and implementation of cutting-edge algorithms.

It is much more interesting and fruitful line of work than your WM tweaking.

I post it to discourage anons from wasting their time on stupid autistic things. Learn algorithms and programming languages instead, solve never-before-solved problems.

Ricing is a hobby, I do it in my free time, for fun, y'know?
I don't use Arch, i3, or anything that I use in that screenshot at work. In fact, I don't even use Linux at work (which is not my choice, 2bh).

Jesus fuck, you are the epitome of autism.

>implying any time spent not developing bleeding edge algorithms is wasted time

Do you listen to music, eat, watch an occasional movie, or is 100% of your waking time spent on algorithms? No? Fuck your self then you humongous faggot.

check out my sick new IP address lads

Do you do everything from the terminal?

A new classic, this is a bold, modern, geometric sans-serif font that has no problem kicking its enemies in the chest.

No, I shitpost from the browser.

holy shit this is nice. what are you using?

Kings and such

if you watch enough anime you'll eventually learn to rice

anime's trash

can't spell dweeb without weeb

what? sorry, i couldn't hear you over the qt anime girls calling me onii-chan

github.com/DrabWeb/iTerm2
Ranger, cliclock and mpd+ncmpcpp.

perfect, thanks user!

don't reply to her posts

1. Lurk moar
2. Install Gentoo
3. Profit

It'll all be fine Phamalama

What is the name of the wikipedia CLI thingy ?

it's just the lynx browser

ok thanks :) look really nice for wikipedia!

kill yourself finally, dumb tripfag cancer

>>>/reddit/

I'm sure those people's personal computers are more riced though

Why would he go to reddit, where everyone has a username, if he hates tripfags?
Fucking retard.

because there are no tripcodes on reddit duh

It's autosaging again.

I have been away from Sup Forums for some months
what's happeining with the desktop threads

no it isn't

>minimalist taskbar
the only minimalist taskbar is no taskbar

Ben PLEASE give me that catgirl panty shot.

DEs go on top of WMs, not the opposite. You can install several WMs and DEs in a single OS partition, just select the one you want to use when logging in.

do you mean this one
sr.ht/6Vg_.png

Thanks I'm putting that in my folder.

They say if you install gentoo, it magically comes to you

>everything is grey-shades and stuff
>ridiculous yellow borders for active windows

y

You clearly did not read the wiki.
I recommend checking out Sup Forums's wiki on learning English, then trying again. It's not as complicated as you might feel when the jargon makes no sense, GNU/Linux is actually incredibly intuitive once you get guidance for the basics.

ah, ok. Thanks user

I did read the wiki, and while it explains all the pieces fairly well, it does little to explain how to put the pieces together. That's all I'm asking for

Yellow promotes concentration!

Active windows require full attention

gee if only there was some kind of regular thread about this kind of thing, where you could ask talented ricers for help
hmmmmmmmm

do you really need to be such a monumental faggot? What do you get out of it? Listen, I get it, you're more knowledgeable, better versed, more experienced. Does that work? is your ego sufficiently stroked? Now fuck off

I was making a joke about gay pedos deleting desktop threads calm down nerd

sorry, my autism is strong today

Kinda salty user. You seem like you know a bit about this and you couldn't bother to give him a link to anything useful?

Moooooot, come put these gay pedos in their place

shut up scream

Post in this thread

>/r9k/
no ty

>/r9k/

Why don't you kill yourself?

>wm
>syntax
what? Almost every WM out there is either configured in C at compile time or has its own simple "this.specificthing.color = '#000000'" config

i3 has the latter. As long as you refer to the i3 User Guide while you're ricing, it should be pretty straightforward to get whatever results you're looking for.

how get rid of scrollbar with tampermonkey??????????

It's part of the user style in the OP image. So it's done with stylish, not with tampermonkey. Also isn't tampermonkey the greasemonkey for Chrome? You want firefox for ricing, not Chrome.

I use chrome

got it, thanks user

Find where you can edit your colors and configs on linux. Linux offers 100% customization compared to winblows.