BSD General

Welcome to BSD General. This thread is open to all things BSD including comparison to GNU/Linux and beginner inquiry.

Interested in trying BSD? Security and open source oriented users should check out OpenBSD. The most common and server-minded distro is FreeBSD, which PC-BSD has forked for desktop users. If you want to use a BSD OS and the installation/configuration doesn't appeal to you consider Apple's OS X in a virtual machine or Mac computer.

For more info on BSD and an in depth comparison to GNU/Linux head here:

over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01

Other urls found in this thread:

bsdfrog.org/tmp/gnome320.webm
man.openbsd.org/intel.4
freebsd.cz/doc/handbook/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

muh easy packages

>2016
>not using OpenBSD

Who 5.9 here?

>If you want to use a BSD OS and the installation/configuration doesn't appeal to you consider Apple's OS X in a virtual machine or Mac computer.
Fuck off shill.

Not me. Couldn't get internet to work, even in a VM. The DHCP auto config didn't work

me

its pretty good

Why would I use BSD over GNU?

can it run steam? (but not any games, just need the chat)
can it run discord chat?
Is it faster or anything than Linux?

fun and discovery
>can it run steam? (but not any games, just need the chat)
freebsd can, through a linux emulation layer which should work 1:1
>can it run discord chat?
is it open source? if it is, it most likely can
>Is it faster or anything than Linux?
never compared it myself

>pain and frustration
ftfy

not the operating system's fault that you suck

da fuck does bsd stand for

Berkeley Software Distribution. The name comes from the fact that it used to be Berkeley's own distribution of UNIX but Berkeley has not been involved with the development of the BSDs since CSRG was disbanded.

>general
>>general
>>>general with a copypasta
Kill yourself, OP

Yeah, I upgraded from 5.8 to 5.9 pretty soon after it came out.

Also had some conversation last night.

Just started playing with FreeBSD in a vm, so far, I think I'll just stuck to muh linux.

Why so?

here

FreeBSD can run most things. OpenBSD can't run a lot of things.

Honestly I used FreeBSD for a while and it felt like linux. So if that's what you're going for then there's that.

OpenBSD feels different and I think I like it.

you can use steam chat in the browser if you didn't know.

I run pfsense and nas4free, but I've never actually bothered with a ground up bsd.

Shit's glorious for turnkey appliances. I've been investigating the internals of aforementioned appliances, I'm hoping to make a bsd based appliance to act as a cert authority for LANs and shit.

Anyone actually able to run GNOME on OpenBSD? GNOME always crashes as soon as I login.

Yes
bsdfrog.org/tmp/gnome320.webm

how'd you set it up?

Or hackintosh. You could try hackintosh which nowadays works fairly well.

don't fall for the OpenBSD meme, use the real user friendly bsd, FreeBSD.

Installed gnome via pkg_add, and did:
rcctl disable xdm
rcctl enable messagebus avahi_daemon gdm

Then added "multicast=YES" to /etc/rc.conf.local.

I just get the sad face and "something went wrong" When I start gdm. This is on an old laptop with an intel gma. I assume it's something related to graphics drivers because the same issue happens in Virtualbox.

keep in mind GNOME3 needs 3D acceleration, maybe your GPU is too old for that

Reminder that OpenBSD has backdoors in it, ignore OpenBSD shills and use FreeBSD.

Yea I'm thinking that may be the case because XFCE works. I thought my GMA4500 would be supported.

reminder that you need to switch up your bait

I checked man.openbsd.org/intel.4 and it supports GM45 chipsets, damn I'm not sure what is wrong. I might try current and see if it works.

to be fair, GNOME3 on openbsd isn't even supposed to exist, it's full of hacks because freedesktop sucks and made it depend on all the systemd bullshit

i never got GDM to work either, but i didn't really care because i just log in from the console

cuck license tho

>depend on all the systemd
is openbsd using systemd? do you even know the meaning of the word "depend"?

did you read my post at all?

GNOME3 on openbsd is full of hacks to remove the systemd shit from it

running gnome on openbsd is kind of missing the point, no?

it's like buying a T60 and covering up the ibm logo with an apple sticker

yeah, openbsd taught me that i really didn't need all that shit

i pretty much just use cwm with the X utilities like xclock and xterm and that's enough for me

>full of hacks
it's called programming, you worthless monkey shit

yeah, you're supposed to throw the computer away after you install openbsd, nothing works anyway

>vlc is full of hacks to remove win32 shit from it

yeah that's why every part of GNOME3 has like 60 patches because it totally works without those, right?

desperate

do you really think GNOME devs work on the openbsd port of GNOME?

no, they don't

gentoo had to make similar efforts, too

>waaaaaaaaaah
>they should work on it
>waaaaaaaaaaaah
>muh entitlement
fuck off, cuck

>it totally works without those
correct

>he searches for BSD threads just to get into meaningless arguments about shit he doesn't know anything about then calls people cucks
didn't your post get deleted by a janitor earlier?

>then calls cucks cucks
ftfy

well at least you don't link to trollaxor or aboutthebsds anymore

been running i386 FreeBSD server (web server) since version 5, mostly it has been a breeze to maintain, stability is top notch, 3 commands major version upgrades, etc.

OpenBSD is an insecure piece of shit. Stupid thing claims to be secure yet refuses to support FreeBSD features like jails.

stop responding to yourself

Stop being so delusional

notice how the post count doesnt increase

pajeet fuck off

Which BSD is the best for a beginner?
GhostBSD?

whoops, meant to say poster count

>BSD general
>all a bunch of mudslinging by a bunch of underage little fucks that probably don't use *BSD or GNU regularly
>HAY GYZ I INSTALLED *BSD/GNU ONCE IN A VM IM GOING TO SLING SHIT ABOUT THE ONE I DIDNT INSTALL K

FreeBSD, has great help, look it up.

>BSD generals
>a barneyfag-grade autist shits it up for years

Thank you, i'll give it a try.

That's because I made my first reply earlier in the thread stupid. Are OpenBSD faggots really this stupid?

freebsd.cz/doc/handbook/

sure you did

the poster count never increased all the other times you made epic cuck jokes either

stay off the pills fuck tard

don't you mean "cuck tard" xD

Is FreeBSD the best as a desktop OS too?
I'm not a unix professional, Ghost and pcbsd look like more user-friendly

you may also try PC-BSD for desktop

openbsd is the best desktop OS since the devs actually use it on bare metal

which is based on FreeBSD

Are BSD package managers as good/fast as Arch's pacman? Also, what about font rendering? Do you just configure freetype and is there Infinality?

>Are BSD package managers as good/fast as Arch's pacman?
they're alright
>Also, what about font rendering? Do you just configure freetype and is there Infinality?
no infinality, but could probably be ported if someone was willing to put effort into it, since it's just a patch set

>BSD General
>Ordinary reply
>Couple help requests
>"Fuck OS X, not even BSD bro"
>Muh GPL
>cuck license kys
>*incoherent GNU trash intensifies*
Every. Fucking. Time.

What barneyfag tier autist are you talking about?

the one who's been posting here for a year or two who gets really triggered by BSD

>based on applecuckBSD
ishyggy

t. cuck

butthurt license freetard

>confirmed cuck

o sup shatner

> pin-up

I heard BSD runs some proprietary shit in their kernel though. Is that true? I'm interested in trying out BSD distros, but shit like calling yourself "OpenBSD" while not all of your source code is open/free seems sketchy.

OpenBSD doesn't contain binary drivers but it does contain firmware images. The difference is that firmware runs on the actual device while drivers run inside the OS. OpenBSD could ship without these images but that would just cause some computers to not function correctly, it's not very helpful. OpenBSD devs recommend that you simply not buy hardware that relies on these images so they never have to be used. They provide the images anyway just in case.

For a driver to be included in OpenBSD the devs must have access to its source code and the source code must be permissively licensed.

>implying you can't use a computer without a shitty, bloated and frankly unnecessary DE
If you must go full retard - Xfce and Lumina work flawlessly and aren't steaming heaps of freedesktop garbage.

Go watch an anime, faggot

I've been a linux guy for the past couple of years. But I wanna try BDS. What do I choose?

*BSD

Can we replace stallman with theo? GPL is for communist cucks.

FreeBSD 11

- bhyve Improvements
----Initial support for booting Windows guests (r282281)

I second this proposal

They're all a little different but usually people recommend either FreeBSD or OpenBSD.

FreeBSD functions the most similar to GNU/Linux but also has jails and ZFS and some other neat stuff.

OpenBSD takes a little more time to get used to. OpenBSD is usually used as an appliance like a firewall or a basic server because the OS was written with very strict quality standards.

>I prefer to be cucked by apple

>no bash by default
Dropped. sh and csh both suck ass.

Bash is GPL, of course none of them would ship it with their OS. You can always install it yourself but the BSDs recommend not changing the root's shell.

>GPL, of course none of them would ship it
stop lying

are you 14 ?

are you?