youtube.com/watch?v=LR8fQiskYII
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because im dumb

Congrats. Personally I don't like suits or accounting. Glad you enjoy it though

kek

cause i program in java

jamallll

>nerd enough
You're normalfag as fuck and don't pretend otherwise.

>c
>quant lang
>no mention of python or erlang for dat hi freq shit
cuz reasons.

I don't believe it because I don't believe they'd let you use house money straight out of undergrad. Did you have a portfolio before hand?

>Go to MIT
How to?

why did you make money? you had a big salary? It's not that impressive that you made a lot of money as a software engineer. Everybody in the valley probably makes as much or more than you.

> How to?
he didn't.

watch out lil bitch
you getting mad i'm getting rich

>still insecure enough to brag on Sup Forums

I mean cmon, I do alright too but I don't need to post about it

>get MIS meme degree
>get an IT technician job
>get yelled at by people all day
>contemplate an hero

I'm too stupid and lazy.

how to into MIT?

i have "pretty good" grades, meaning above a 3.5 but not a perfect 4.0. also, i feel that i have a good grasp of higher level programming concepts, and i'm interested in studying computational science, not programming. to me it seems like MIT is the only place for me, lesser colleges just don't offer what i'm after.

who needs to go to MIT? i dropped out of college and just quit working as an engineer at apple to work for a high frequency trading firm. pays $400k annually plus bonuses. programming doesn't require a degree, don't waste your money.

Is it possible to pay someone so much that it becomes a bad thing?

If I was paid $400k a year. I'd retire in like 2-3 years. They'd have high turnover from employees immediately retiring.

I'd be a terrible billionaire because I'd stop trying to earn money after the first $10 million or so.

>Not a perfect 4.0
How is it so hard for you to do a couple more hours of work a day? You're not getting in unless you're a minority.

>humble bragging on Sup Forums

>paid 400k a year
>retire in like 2-3 years

>I'd be a... billionaire
>first ten million

I don't think you have to worry about earning 400,000 a year with your math skills

A. You have rich/famous parents
B. You're a minority and have some das raycis sob story
C. You're a hyper autist that's been writing research papers since middle school

You're gonna have to aim a lot lower pal

Do you want to get depressed and kill yourself user? I can tell you how it is, been a dev for 5 years now.

>every single recruiter has fintech job offers
>they pay 30-40% more than any other industry
>medicore requirements
>no one ever takes up on them
Why?
>constant stress and overtime
>working through weekends
>money not re-compensating lack of life
>you are there to get minced like pork meat
>0 chances of personal development
>but we pay good!
Fintechs are for people who want to get quick cash. Work a year or so and fuck around with entrepreneur/whatever for the next year. Here in London fintechs are basically ignored by any dev who gives it a though for more than 2 minutes.

sounds perfect, i have no life already

Like that's hard nowadays with all the SJW bullshit. Just claim you're a transnigger or some shit. Say you identify as a woman too for good measure. Who's going to know outside the admissions office that gave you +500 points of consideration?

I was like that too, user. I also have the best genes in terms of sleeping. When I was 21-23 I slept for 4-5 hours a day if I was lucky. Constantly running on ADHD and nootropics, great fun.

However there is a huge difference between having no life and working constantly. I currently work for a startup. Gave up around 15% of my pay from the previous job, get compensation in equity though and I wish my current company well. HOWEVER even this does not mean I do not get tired.
Even though my work is usually chilled out it still means I work from 9-5. There isn't really much time to fuck around since every dev in here is independant on the lowest level. This makes the job both great for selfdevelopment, exciting for the sake of fun of coding, but exhausting due to the deadlines and quality of code you try to produce.
I often tell my father it is just like playing chess tournament from 9 to 5 every single day. It's SUPER fun, but when you are done you are mentally a tenth of what you were the very same morning. It came to that I go to sleep at 9 pm and wake up at 4 am to work on my own thing before work.

Anyway, now imagine you are doing the very same thing I do right now. Except for working 9-8? 9-9? Maybe more? There is zero recognition from both your teammates and workmates. Everyone is here to make money and couldn't give less shit about you. Most of those devs run on drugs constantly to hold up to the pace of work. The first moment you slip you will most likely get blamed and kicked out with a label of shitty developer. Can you imagine the stress? Even considering the time does not matter for you currently.

So is this like the alleged trap of learning COBOL?

It's quite the opposite
>can find fintech work in 3 days no matter how shitty you are at coding
>get paid shitton of money
>fintech will, most likely, grow even quicker than it did so far in the near future
> M O N E Y
But you will eventually kill yourself so yeah, priorities.

thanks user

even if you guys can work so hard for a salary on drugs, i can do a part of that work too for my own projects

Yeah. I made a huge mistake in my early career. I killed myself over for a company that wasn't even mine. Now I am just doing exactly what am I paid for.
They use to joke about not finding me at 5:00 PM at my desk but this is how it is. You are get paid for what you have in your contract. Everything else is just a messiah complex or some shitty mental block of yours.

Investing time into yourself > investing time into anything else

>not using K/kdb+/Q
And you call yourself a financial programmer. Laff.

>tfw do software consulting
>make bank
>travel to major cities around the country for weeks or months at a time
>rarely have to code
>don't have to pay for rent, gas or food because I have a company card
Feels good not being a code monkey and saving up for early retirement

Wayne?

>get to wear a suit every day
>conservative co-workers
>total obedience to collar guys who don't know what they are talking about
>arbitrary deadlines
>boring projects, "yet another account managing tool"

You dun goofed, OP.

It's nice to do such stuff for some years when you are young, but after a while it gets shit. And it's nice to feel """"""important"""""".

But basically every hotel on earth looks the same. And suits only impress newbies, after a while it's just work clothes.

I still had a good time at consulting and learned a lot of stuff (i.e. about working "professionally"). But after a while you should move on. It's just way too much blah blah blah..

>conservative co-workers and hierarchy are a bad thing
Sorry! I will refer to xir by xir's preferred pronouns!
Do you fucking play games and smoke weed all day too?

thanks user

i'll remember this advice

Because I don't want to be a slave working 80 hours a week.

Also, I don't like wearing suits. They are a waste of money and uncomfortable.

Implying being a ""normalfag"" is a bad thing

It is on Sup Forums. Go on Normiebook if you want to pretend that you are "such a nerd xD" for liking TBBT and GoT.

How easy is it to get into? I have an ECE degree, what other qualifications should I have?

Wow, this is some good story, user, after reading your post I will think twice for any job offer.
When we are young we tend to put money as the the most important shit in a job, and we forget other things, like self-realization, there is a whole life outside our job.

Thanks.

Satanic trips speaks the truth anons. Listen

how hard is it to get a programming job if you have an IT degree but program in your spare time

High frequency trading is the cancer killing the economy. There's no financial skill to it. Just the ability to sit a server across the street and get that 0.001s faster latency than the other guy 2 blocks away to beat out his trade request.

Depends on experience. Most IT jobs prefer experience over papers, even certificates over a diploma.
Just make sure you have a relevant portfolio and can explain the way you work/think.

Google for example will hire anyone if you can make it through their interview process. Requirements are just knowing how to program.

Did you even read what he wrote

>HFT software
>accounting
u wot m8

OP is surely a fag for asking the the question
>why aren't you doing what 80-90% of people are simply unable to do
but calling him a normalfag is just plain retarded.

If one graduates from MIT and writes HFT software for a living, they are then allowed to call out basically anyone on Sup Forums as a normiebook "such a nerd xD" in comparison to them.

>I don't like wearing suits. They are a waste of money and uncomfortable.
That's because you've only worn $100 Walmart suits. Try a $2000+ custom-tailored suit made of linen or cashmere wool with pure silk lining. It feels like a second skin, plus then you'll be treated a lot nicer by anyone working in the customer service industry (incl. cops, bouncers and security staff).

Agreed. What makes a company great isn't to over pay their engineers. That doesn't make sense. In face I wouldn't be surprised if the accounts made more money over you.

Also stop watching Wall Street / American Psycho - you're not Patrick Batman. You answer the switchboard phone. Kek

Agreed. Also you will have to show you are continuing to improve your skills.

So being a contractor is way better than regular dev at the company? Soon to be junior here

>You are get paid for what you have in your contract. Everything else is just a messiah complex or some shitty mental block of yours.
It's not that simple.

I got an entry-level job at a young IT company. Then I spent 50+ hours a week at the office for a few years, absorbing everything I possibly could, including
>several programming languages and paradigms
>proper examples and uses of design patterns
>a shit-ton of web technologies
>devops
>technical project management
>project management finances
>physical/virtual server deployment/technologies
>etc
Sure, in the process I had no social life, but I now had the qualifications to land a much better job with much higher salary, and where working beyond 9-5 is not a necessity.

Without extensive social networking or a winning genetic lottery ticket, your career in the industry isn't going to skyrocket by working 9-5. Fact.

>Investing time into yourself > investing time into anything else
You can do both at the same time.

>python
no thanks
python's place is rapid prototyping, it's difficult to maintain and its slow.

Shit, im trying to learn how to program and started with python because "its easy to get into"
Is it alright for the start or am i better off going for something else?

Nah bro. I've been there, done that.

I hated being "the tech guy" among economic guys. I am moving to pure software devellopment because I want to be surrounded by like-minded folks..

Also this:

No, python as first langauge is perfectly fine.

If you want to programm you need more than one langauge anyway:

-one "duct tape" language for stuff like scripting, proof-of-concepts and minor tasks. For example: Python / Ruby / Perl / Bash (Bash is not powerfull enough actually, but usefull for very small tasks)
-basics in C and/or Java (lingua franca of programming)

Additional:
-profund knowledge in one langue for "big projects" or "work" that is widespread (i.e. Java / C / C++ / C# )
-basics in functional programming (i.e. Haskell / Erlang / Scala) to make you a better coder
-basics in JavaScript + HTML + CSS (if you are interested in the web)

See:
youtube.com/watch?v=LR8fQiskYII

For your future :
Words like powerful, useful are written with one L.

... which is one of the most heavily used languages in finance and trading applications?

It's Java, C++/C/, and shit written in Fortran that is still hanging around

Because mastering Linux to get a comfy system administrator job is more fun, good luck replacing me with pooinloos

D. be non-white male, MIT is committed to divershity. Check their site

How does one break into the elite jobs without the pedigree of a Stanford, MIT, Harvard, etc?

>pedigree
Lookup the meaning of pedigree and you'll understand

Then this is why I'm aiming for an elite school for a PhD. I know I have the raw intellectual brainpower to match with them.

So how do I into consulting?

You wouldn't be accepted either way.

>go to pic related
>way better than northfags and their private institute
>do any degree I want, except for liberal arts
>literally any job I want in the South
>300k starting

Be a Pajeet or a Chink
Works 99% of the time

>linen
Are you retarded senpai?

Computer engineering here.

My algorithmic and data structure skills are superior. Only disadvantage is we suck at databasing, but we're the type to serialize to file instead. Its quicker.

Crabby retards.

You get paid according to whim. "Market price" is an abstraction.

>be indian

Not OP, but I have a similar function. I got hand-picked straight out of college and received the required training from the company. It's pretty much like OP describes, but it is also a cold and soulless job (albeit with a lot of challenge and room for personal growth).