Is it more beneficial to go with computer engineering or science in college...

Is it more beneficial to go with computer engineering or science in college? I enjoy both hardware and software and was thinking of getting into systems managing/other server work down the road. I don't think I'm willing to dual major.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorayaki
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

are those pancakes or donuts? Can we glaze the pancakes and put maple frosting on it?

Before anyone asks, those pancakes were made on a rice cooker, and while they look good, they're undercooked inside

>they're undercooked inside
Any guts pics?

THICC

Bumping for interest.
Freshman at an Ivy League university's engineering school. I only have to the end of next semester to make up my mind.

Just go with whichever is more relevant to what you actually want to do. Recruiters (outside of academia) don't even really know the difference.

But is it limiting to say get a degree in engineering and get try to get a job in software?

For a person just starting their career, an engineering degree is typically more desirable, even in the fields of software.

What school do you go to/what are you majoring if you don't mind me asking?

Like I said, when it comes to degree, recruiters don't know the difference. All they see is "computer guy". Just make sure you have internships/projects related to the field you're going into; for example if you want a web dev job have some websites to show, if you want an app dev job have some apps to show, if you want a job in hardware design maybe make a CPU in verilog, etc.

Cornell, CS in the engineering school. Heavily considering the switch to ECE before I get too far into major specific courses.

CS senior here. If you like programming and math theory, take CS. If you like physics, circuits, and low level programming, take CE. If your university offers a software engineering degree, and if you want to focus more on programming and less on the math theory go for that. If my school offered software engineering I probably would've done that, not a fan of the higher-up theory.

I myself focus on systems programming and high performance computing, so I'm big into cache optimizations, CPU design etc. Most of the other CS guys are webdev monkies. So the degree has a lot of depth in what you want to focus on, I managed to go pretty close to CE with my coursework.

If you're good at either you'll get a high paying job. Both degrees are in demand for COMPETENT people. I assume that all the sob-posts complaining about having a CS degree and no job are written by people with a swastika tattoo on their forhead, getting a basic programming job is stupid easy if you're not retarded. With that said, CS is filled with shit heads who are painfully thick. As for pay, the income scale for CS is more towards the extremes than CE. FWIW the internship I did last summer had both CS people and CE people doing the same job.

Expect CE to be MUCH harder than CS. My shit-tier school lets CS kids get away with not taking physics (can do bio or Chen instead to fulfill the general credit). The calc sequence does a decent job at filtering the retards into an IT degree.

Which do you like more, Turing Machines and compilers, or circuit diagrams and verilog? At my school CE and CS are almost the same degree except for about 2 classes. Also cs requires linear algebra while CE requires differential equations.

You'll learn basically the same things, and be able to get basically the same jobs

I have the same doubt but I don't like math so much and I like programming/software . Im planning to study CS in college, and my question is, it involves math?

Sorry for my English, ESL Fag here

>they're undercooked inside

So they're absolutely perfect?

I want to fuck those pancakes.

CS at my school is Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3, discrete math, linear algebra and prob/stats. Not for the faint of heart

Yes, Calculus 1, 2 & 3 and sometimes diff eq, and linear algebra.

I don't like math myself, so those classes were hard for me but I passed (at the expense of my GPA). Given the option between CS and IT, do CS. IT is for idiots too dumb for the hard math and theory that CS requires.

I agree with this user. IT degree is worse than useless

Computer engineering is definitely tougher on math but it entirely depends on the school. CS has more algorithms and nowadays is more focused on big data, databases, graphics.

At my school CE was a lot of applied calculus (electric circuits, , signals and systems, control systems) applied differential equations (robotics, electromagnetics), applied quantum physics ( semiconductor manufacturing, nanophotonics), digital logic which is an entirely different subset of math (This is what you learn if you wanna design chips)

Right now I'm a glorified sysadmin but the degree definitely paid off. Some of my colleagues work on sensors used in oil pipelines, some of them manufacture new types of memory, mining, some of them work for energy companies managing power stations, others write shitty software or mobile apps.

It was hard for you both?
You guys were good in math even in high school?
Do you guys use this "mathematic experience" when programming?
Thank you for replying guys.

I was actually really shitty at math in high school. I failed trig twice. It took a lot of effort and work to git gud at math, but I'm really glad I did it, I'm actually getting my minor in mathematics along with my major in cs because I really enjoy it now. I feel like I use what I've learned in math every day. Essentially math teaches you to think logically under a system of rules, which is exactly what programming is, also linear algebra is directly translate blend into code, so it's nice to know also. Try to take discrete math sooner rather than later,being able to work with prepositions and proofs helped me understand math a lot more than I did before.

Third guy here. I'd say I always got B's in math throughout my life and it was definitely a struggle.

Hardest part was anything to do with physics and calculus or remembering lots of rules in general. Circuits are fun, digital logic is fun, material science, semiconductors, nanophotonics was fun, but all of that happened in the last 1.5 years of schooling and required that I take 3-4 years worth of rigorous math.

I was a B math student in high school, I had to really work hard to do well (the B range) for math in university. I tended to make lots of little errors in my proofs, which always bit me in the ass. Conversely, I loved my CS algorithms classes, those came very intuitively to me.

Calculus and math in general teaches you to think logically, so I think that helped me with my general programming ability. The only time I've specifically used advanced math was in graphics processing for a GPU programming class I took. But I know all machine learning uses a lot of matrix theory and calculus, that class was optional for me so I didn't take it.

pretty much this

Also to expand on what it means to think logically. It's not really learning to be like Spock on Star Trek or anything, the way I think about it is being able to understand systems of rules, and being able to manipulate objects and solve problems under those rules.

For example in my abstract algebra class, you'll be introduced to a new mathematical object, you'll be told about its properties and see a few proofs, and then you're expected to be able to use those new objects and their properties to be able to solve problems and prove properties of other objects. I feel like my problem solving abilities have really been kick started by taking all this math

THICCNESS

what school

Fucking disgusting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorayaki

woudlfug

It definitely depends on school. My college has both computer science ad software engineering, but they're hardly any different. The only difference are that software engineers take 3 less tech electives and have them replaced with 3 software engineering related classes that computer science majors can take as well. As a computer science major I took project management with software engineering majors to fill my last semester.

Computer engineers are taught almost an entirely different curriculum at our school. After the basic programming courses, they veer off into doing embedded systems, quantitative computer architecture, and a shit ton of other courses with lots of labs.

University of Missouri

a decision I will regret until I die

THEY LOOK LIKE THEY WERE MADE WITH FAIRY DUST AND MOOT LAUGHS