Laptops boys

It's payday guys and my acer aspire is due for an upgrade the thing still werks but I want something that doesnt weigh 5 kilograms and have a shit screen. Whats the best looking laptop out there for under a grand (little over is fine) looking at macbook air atm

old laptop for scale

The only MacBook worth their weight in salt is the rMBP. The rest are seriously overpriced trash.

Depending on your taste:
>MacBook air
>xps 13/15
>any thinkpad

The rest are shit.

go for the air user. you won't even slightly regret it.

How is the air not shit?

I'd recommend xps13, choose the specs that fit your budget. Go trough some YouTube reviews to make sure.

Yeah I'm leaning towards it now beautiful looking machine any comments on xps15 it seems like it isnt as popular?

Because people have realised huge laptops suck.
I used to only buy massive laptops (15/17). As soon as I got my x220, I only buy small laptops.

>thinkpad

Dell XPS 13, HP Spectre 13, Razer Blade 14

Don't buy a Macbook Air/Pro now, they're getting an upgrade soon, and as it stands the only Macbook with Skylake and Type-C is the Macbook; you don't want anything less.

>I want something that doesnt weigh 5 kilograms
Easy. Anything apart from gamer laptops is lighter nowadays
> and have a shit screen.
OK, thats hard. Essentially, everything but apple, the pixel and the surfaces has shit screens
>looking at macbook air atm
That look is so played out… Maybe if you go full fag and get the pink or gold non-air. I'd wait for the refresh.

Problem is: There are virtually no good looking laptops on the market anymore, apart from a few exceptions:

Chromebook pixel (but useless and overpriced)
Maybe that new HP spectre? (but I doubt its durability and usability, +fuckhuge bezels)
That dell XPS thing was close, but then they fucked up by making all bezels small, and adding a FUCKHUGE one at the bottom.

tl;dr: just get a used thinkpad

air is a nice little laptop but the screen isn't really acceptable in 2016. just get a 2015 (or a 2016 if you can wait a few months) retina macbook pro (the 13 inch one unless you need a big screen for whatever reason) and don't look back.

HOLY SHIT I DIDN'T KNOW XPS IS SO EXPENSIVE! Wtf are those prices man?!!!

The Air is really dated, just wait for the rMBP refresh.

The air is shit unless you are a teenage girl

Thinkpad T460p. If you plan to buy new, check out /tpg/ for a corporate discount code.

You have two choices:

Mac OS X = Retina Macbook Pro 13"
Windows = Thinkpad T460

Any good budget laptops? Big chance is just Office and some web browsing on-the-go.
> Thinkpad X220
any Thinkpad is massively over-priced where I live, even used. Buying internationally would add Import/Shipping fees and headaches I'd like to avoid

Heard the 3rd gen X1 carbon was good

>buying anything lenovo after pic related

used 2012 thick macbook with the i7. Same as the one they currently sell. Better than the retina because it's upgradeable and repairable.

Judging by your use of kilos, I'm guessing not US based, but B&H Photo has the current 12" Macbook for $999

>delete/backspace
>disgust.jpg

I bought a 256GB 2015 rMBP 13" as my first serious laptop and don't regret it even a bit.

>fucking amazing screen
>fucking amazing trackpad
>battery lasts literally for 8+ hours of normal use
>light as fuck
>can play some games (csgo style)
>wifi 5G, usb3, native HDMI, Firevault, etc
>can put windows on it if you decide to cuck the poor thing

The only thing is that it's not the toughest thing in the world, and the price is a bit high. Other than that it's 10/10.

>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel themselves has admitted it's utter shit now and has trashed the design to go back to copying 90's era laptops with solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>ultra shit tier zero travel chiclet keyboard
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life
>gets BTFO by 55WHhr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz because of chronic overheating problems
>retina meme supposedly for "pros" have have blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>literally a pile of shit compared to anything else in its price range

>macshit is good
Can we finally end this meme?

You forgot your anime picture freetard

You forgot your stock macbook image shill.

>>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>>extremely loose near bottom edge
>>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>doesn't know about the new trackpad

>>even applel themselves has admitted it's utter shit now and has trashed the design to go back to copying 90's era laptops with solid non-click touchpads
>>still has no real buttons
>>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
Oh you actually know about the new one.
>hasn't tested the trackpad

>>ultra shit tier zero travel chiclet keyboard
I used to use Cherry mechanical and even the glorious Model M and I think the keyboards in Macbooks are pretty fucking good for a laptop. Sure the ones in the Retina macbooks are worse but totally usable.

>>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life
>>gets BTFO by 55WHhr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal crippled cooling system
>>throttles to 800mhz because of chronic overheating problems
This I give you, it's kind of true. Except the throttling, I frequently edit 20MP RAW images and I'm yet to see this thing struggle with those.

>>retina meme supposedly for "pros" have have >blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>retina screen
>for pros
jeez now I understand

>>literally a pile of shit compared to anything else in its price range
but the bit apple man the bit apple!!!!1!!11

The 3rd and 4th gen X1 carbons fixed this abomination

You pay a premium for the x1 carbon though. Consider a traditionol X2 or T4 series thinkpad if you want something cheaper. The 40 series Thinkpads have haswell cpu and are pretty light, just make sure you swap the trackpad with the 50 series Thinkpads. If you want a full out 50 series Thinkpad though, there's still releitively new so they haven't dropped in price much.