Someone wants to use your wifi

>someone wants to use your wifi

How do you deal with this? Since no one gets their own IP address tied to them, all their activity will be my responsibility.

Then don't let them

"no"

You prefer they use your computer?

I give them access to the guest network and don't worry about it as none of my friends are fucking criminals.

But my wife's boyfriend needs to check facebook.

Run a MITM and steal his facebook login

"Wifi antenna is busted"

It's actually a fantastic way to obscure what you're doing. If you have an established relationship sharing your WiFi with neighbors you can basically never be sued.
US courts have already ruled the owner of an IP is not held responsible for illegal shit done by other users (otherwise public WiFi at Starbucks and shit would never fly)

Don't EVER say that again!

Wait... you wife's boyfriend....i hope your shiting me

But everyone has secrets. Trust no one. Not even yourself. They may just do their shady activity on your connection because they are too scared to at their home.

>https
>mitm

Then they're a shitty friend. This is like saying 'Don't let anyone into your house because they might steal stuff'.

Sounds like one of these great legal advices that would never work in a court

Maybe but that won't stop them confiscating all your computers and other storage devices just to make sure.

>court of burgers

I think all of you are missing so critical info right now its for his wife's boyfriend WDF are you doing lad

LOL you're joking right?

Show me a SINGLE court case in the US where someone was held liable for the activities of a 3rd party using their connection.

Pro tip, you can't because every case so far has been ruled in favor of the defendant

Considering most people are stupid norms I would let them use it, All they will do is go to Facebook and maybe Instagram.

All of the MAC IDs in my house are labeled in my router controls so when someone asked I usually give them the go ahead.

Neighbor asked a month ago if he could ue it for a little bit since his was out. After about a week, I noticed his MAC was still connected, so i blocked it. Easy as that.

I have facebook twitter snapchat and instagram blocked so...

"No"

Man the fuck up pussy it's only gonna get worse.

>but then they will think I'm an asshole and not talk to me again!
Mission complete

>someone was held liable for the activities of a 3rd party using their connection.

is not the same as

activities done by you but since others might have used your connection we can't prove shit now, damnit, gotta let you go.

are you stupid?
they can't prove what traffic comes from you or from another person
PLAUSIBLE DENYABILITY

>PLAUSIBLE DENYABILITY
I'm glad someone else understands

My network is open to the public. Praise Stallman, and may all our software be free forever!

Enjoying your first week newfriend?

I literally keep my network open and let my neighbors use it.

KEK
U
C
K

>but since others might have used your connection we can't prove shit now, damnit, gotta let you go.

Okay let's give you a hypothetical situation to help you understand.

75 year old granny has WiFi installed. The tech who installed it setup a password but she's too old to give a fuck so her grandson comes over and just sets it up as an open network.

A few weeks later her shady neighbor starts hopping on for nefarious reasons, let's say he's using her connection for uploading the brand new star wars or some shit.

Now in this situation, if for whatever reason the government decided to go after that IP address, you think they'll actually bring forward charges on this woman? Fuck no, it's obvious she has no idea what's happened or how.

Same thing happens in your case. You're not expected to monitor your wireless network for other users, you're not expected by the law to encrypt your network, etc

Fucking this. I got a letter from a law firm demanding 1,000 dollars for downloaded shit, and wrote them back that my network has no password (it does) and therefore I cannot account for any illegal activity.

This was in Denmark, btw.

kek, they just demanded money? they didn't even try to sue or anything, or at least threaten to? that's pathetic.

>government decided to go after that IP address
Why would they for such a shitty reason?

Good job cutting off the quote

>IF FOR WHATEVER REASON the government decided to go after that IP address

It's a hypothetical situation it's not important why.

If the government actually would go after an ip, they'd have a reason that would be good enough to investigate further and not stop just because the network was open.

Yeah, they do the whole demand money thing, followed by a threat to take you to court.

Faggot, it's a hypothetical are you really having this much of a problem with it?

Are you legitimately this autistic?

Fine to help your feeble mind grasp the situation. It doesn't matter who or what is taking you to court. If ALL they have is your IP address then they aren't going to do shit to you. No matter what they claim you've done.

Of course if they have evidence BESIDES your IP address you can be sued under whatever else they have against you. But we aren't fucking talking about that, we are only talking about IP address.

There is NO harm in letting random people use your WiFi because it can NEVER come back against you, the owner.

Fuck off retard.

Kass Buff when?

Simple. Our household's wifi uses WPA2-EAP username/password.

Anyone who's just visiting quickly can scan the QR code or something, or log in with guest/guest and get a 5Mbit/256kbit connection - transparently proxied via Tor.

That can be a bit annoying for anything but casual use, because of Cloudflare CAPTCHAs, so houseguests staying over get their own l/p with our full 1Gbit connection.

hostapd is kind of a bitch to set up in the first place, but getting it right was worth it for us.