Why are Lisp users so prone to being shills?

Why are Lisp users so prone to being shills?

I never hear someone propagate Java or PHP

Other urls found in this thread:

aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit
tech.grammarly.com/blog/posts/Running-Lisp-in-Production.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Functional "programmers" are INCREASINGLY NERVOUS over the fact that their favourite meme programming paradigm hasn't caught up in decades and that OOP has proven itself to be far superior, so they keep shilling against OOP and for functional "programming"...

Why didn't they write HURD in Lisp? It might even be finished by now if they did.

>Once you learn Lisp you will see what is missing in most other languages
Agreed so hard. Just using anything functional makes you wish it was in other languages. It's a good thing most modern languages are catching up and implementing it or shipping with it

>If you don't know Lisp, you don't appreciate what a powerful language is. Once you learn Lisp you will see what is missing in most other languages

If you replace Lisp with any other language, it sounds like any other shitpost we usually have here.

Javascript is very similar to Lisp, so it's nice that Stallman appreciates Javascript too.

>someone propagate Java or PHP
They are, the code monkeys are doing it daily.

Nobody care though, except for other code monkeys like you.

Seriously though, learning a new computer language is pretty trivial (except for a few). Broaden your knowledge to see what you are missing instead of remaining a copypasta code monkeys who can only write some glue java/php code, OP.

aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit
>The Python version had less code that ran faster and was far easier to read and maintain.

Can you think of any other language where rewriting a program in Python would make it shorter, faster, and more readable?

>yfw Lisp manages to be even worse than Python

> I never hear someone propagate Java or PHP

Well, why would they? Stockholm syndrome?

Maybe, just maybe, they didn't know what they were doing?

Or maybe lisp compilers are poorly optimized and it was abandoned because saner languages are easier to compile into bytecode or native code that's not shit

Back when Java was the hottest new language, Sun and Java developers alike did shill it. Hard. It was almost like a religious cult.

Well obviously since they used Lisp.

it still is. Not only there is java cult, but also Eclipse shill. They get super offended when you fire up IntelliJ

See SBCL, and compare this with your favorite dynamic language's compiler.

They probably didn't use SBCL

Nobody uses SBCL

Try adding classes and type-based dispatch to C, from within the same program that uses those features later on. Hell, try doing it at all.

>Adding those to LISP is literally a homework assignment.

Being able to write in a language tuned for your specific problem domain is so damn comfy.

That and real macros are the killer features.

Ever write two bits of code that are extremely similar but can't be abstracted as a single function because the differences are in the wrong place for the language to be able to represent?

C, for example, has this problem when the difference is in data type and you get shit like (actually real, not a joke or exaggeration):

glProgramUniform
glProgramUniform1f
glProgramUniform1fv
glProgramUniform1i
glProgramUniform1iv
glProgramUniform1ui
glProgramUniform1uiv
glProgramUniform2f
glProgramUniform2fv
glProgramUniform2i
glProgramUniform2iv
glProgramUniform2ui
glProgramUniform2uiv
glProgramUniform3f
glProgramUniform3fv
glProgramUniform3i
glProgramUniform3iv
glProgramUniform3ui
glProgramUniform3uiv
glProgramUniform4f
glProgramUniform4fv
glProgramUniform4i
glProgramUniform4iv
glProgramUniform4ui
glProgramUniform4uiv
glProgramUniformMatrix2fv
glProgramUniformMatrix2x3fv
glProgramUniformMatrix2x4fv
glProgramUniformMatrix3fv
glProgramUniformMatrix3x2fv
glProgramUniformMatrix3x4fv
glProgramUniformMatrix4fv
glProgramUniformMatrix4x2fv
glProgramUniformMatrix4x3fv

>just another idiomatic C api

how do people continue to defend this shit year after year

>Not only there is java cult, but also Eclipse shill

get back on the clock, pajeet.

Lisp is like the programming fedora

Real macros completely fix this problem by letting you generate the code you want with the full language (not some shitty subset), and then executing it.

C++, for example, has this problem with namespaces. Try writing a function that calls foo::bar() where the namespace (in this example "foo") is specified by a variable.
#include

namespace foo {
namespace bar {
namespace baz {
int qux = 42;
}
}
}

void test (auto c) {
std::cout

>Nobody uses SBCL
tech.grammarly.com/blog/posts/Running-Lisp-in-Production.html

>Javascript is very similar to Lisp
Other than first class functions they have basically nothing in common. Python is just as much of a "Lisp" as Javascript is.

They're all shit anyways. Stop pretending that dynamic typing is acceptable.

>Python is just as much of a "Lisp"
python isn't stackless and doesn't have tco, and its lambdas are limited
it's not like lisp at all

Why is everything interesting coded not in Lisp then?

They did use SBCL. SBCL at the time had tons of threading issues and was generally a complete mess outside of Linux. It still has tons of issues, especially related to threads, on Windows, BSD and OS X.

Someone is really butthurt that nobody uses their little toy language.

>artificial intelligence
>not interesting.

Most Javascript implementations aren't stackless and don't have TCO either. The point is that neither are that much like Lisp.

The overwhelming majority of AI work being done right now is done in Python (exploratory phase) and then moved to C++ and Java. Nobody relevant is seriously using Common Lisp for AI work.

lisp invented garbage collection, and is really really bad at low level shit compared to c.

Meanwhile, actually good languages like Pascal get 0 shilling.

I want to get off this ride...

lisp and scheme have problems etc, but are really elegant imo

why did pascal wither away btw?

Not him, but I blame the capitalist system we live in that rewards marketing rather than excellence.

because Delphi RAD IDE is fucking pricey. It might worked in the old day, but nowadays you can't go far without offering some free-tier plan (especially for students or small businesses)

And wrong decisions back in earlier .NET days.

C programmers spreading myths and outright lies about it is why. Pascal is capable of anything C is, including the low level stuff. Not only that, but it's a much better designed language, that discourages the sort of bad habits C is notorious for allowing, and even encouraging. Yet C programmers long ago convinced the world that Pascal was a toy language, meant for teaching, and wasn't serious like C.

Elitists I suppose. They would shill something else if everyone started using LISP, because it wouldn't be special anymore.

>I never hear someone propagate Java or PHP
Because nobody likes them

>OOP
>superior

kek
I program OOP, pls kid