What's the best router you can get for under $100? I have the xfinity 75mbps plan. may get Blast eventually...

What's the best router you can get for under $100? I have the xfinity 75mbps plan. may get Blast eventually. pic related is what I have now. free hand me down shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

t-mobile.com/accessories/t-mobile-wi-fi-cellspot-router.html
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/linksys-wrt-routers-wont-block-open-source-firmware-despite-fcc-rules/
amazon.com/TP-LINK-AC1900-Archer-C9-Wireless/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1463185301&sr=8-33-spons&keywords=t-link router&psc=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091
ebay.com/itm/CISCO-AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9-V03-Aironet-Series-Access-Point-/371606038072?hash=item5685722638:g:dDsAAOSwyjBW4bpr
amazon.com/dp/B002RYYZZS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2U39TFFL2L73R&coliid=I1GCIXRMJ9FZ9Q
tp-link.com/en/faq-482.html
amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

t-mobile.com/accessories/t-mobile-wi-fi-cellspot-router.html

$5-10 WRT54 at your local thrift store.

Any Asus router in the $80-150 range is good.

Put pfSense on an old PC.

Didn't they all recently got recalled for having a security flaw in 'em?

The wr841n is objectively better than the wrt54...

Xiaomi miwifi mini or nano

The cheap TP-Link one at microcenter works surprisingly well. I got one until I got all my equipment into the house.

You realize those can only route at 25-30mbps, right?

Not to mention only 54mbps wireless when he said he's got 75mbps internet.

... in wireless ``speed'' only. Nice ``objective'' opinion, pal.

It supports openwrt and ddwrt as well.

That's nice.

If your looking to load DD-WRT or it's ilk think about getting a Linksys WRT router. As far as I know, they are currently the only routers that comply with the new FCC rules and still allow you to flash open source firmware.

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/linksys-wrt-routers-wont-block-open-source-firmware-despite-fcc-rules/

The TP-Link TL-WR1043ND is about $50, has four gigabit LAN ports, a gigabit WAN port and wireless N and the v2 (and v3 I think) models are easy to install OpenWRT on.

v4 is still unknown I believe.

Fuck, apparently grammar is hard.

OP here. I just need it to be dual-band really. I bought a small townhouse and I think I'm getting interference from the neighbors. connection drops out randomly sometimes. I hear 5hz handles interference better.

I have this, it's awesome

amazon.com/TP-LINK-AC1900-Archer-C9-Wireless/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1463185301&sr=8-33-spons&keywords=t-link router&psc=1

Is TP-Link the newest partner in the advertise on Sup Forums for great profit initiative?

too rich for my blood

i swear to god, Sup Forums is 99% shills and brand loyalty fags who'll shill products and brands to no end. there's no actual technology discussion anymore, except in general threads.

>gets presented with valid argument
>oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck! What do I do! I know! I'll just talk down on him! So clever and witty hahahahaaa!
So basically you don't have anything else to argue?

as an fellow tplink wr 841n v9 user i can say it's unstable as fuck with the latest firmware even with dd wrt firmware. i would recommend asus rt-n12

>What's the best router you can get for under $100?
check /csg/ for xiaomi mini routers

I got mine for $30, best WebUI of any router I've owned and it loads custom firmware if you care for that sort of thing

also, you can place them in non-FCC-compliant transmit power modes if you want to be a dick to neighbors

(Me)
pic related

Anything under budget that supports a free firmware or distro. For example, dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato, pfsense, ipcop. WRT54G is old but being recommended because it's the shittiest $3 thrift store find that can support dd-wrt and be excellent for that price. Second option would be used business class like cisco's RV series, you can also find them on sale for less than $100. gayming routers are a complete fucking scam. After you've gotten your router put your modem in bridge mode so you don't have to admin two devices and juggle that shit.

I'm gonna buy this piece of shit so I get better net in China, Netgear R7000 btw

tell me its worth it

PLEASE

>After you've gotten your router put your modem in bridge mode

Unless that modem is also a router, this isn't even an option

a pure modem only ever runs in "bridge mode"

yes well the past 6-7 years ISPs have not made standalone modems an option anymore due to them needing to remote in to admin it since they get too many old people who refuse to learn or do anything and who will terminate the whole service over nothing because that's how old people work. No matter where you go or what you do, you will never be able to escape invisible stupid people introducing requirements to make everything as stupid as themselves.

+ use pretty much any decent old wifi ap/router to keep your guests from potentially introducing security threats onto your subnet.

Or save up and get an edgerouter PoE (or edgerouter lite + ubiquiti PoE switch) + ubiquiti AP

Or don't buy either since they're overpriced trash and this is Sup Forums.

OP, but this: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091
And either put DD-WRT or Shibby's Tomato on it

>yes well the past 6-7 years ISPs have not made standalone modems an option anymore
oh yeah for sure, ISP-supplied hardware is universally garbage

but if you're buying a router, I'd expect you're also buying a modem, rather than buy-router-but-rent-modem, no?

>Ubiquiti
>Overpriced

Let's see you match the coverage and performance of their APs with an equivalently priced consumer unit. Better yet, try and cover your entire house with multiple APs and enable roaming, see how well it works out in real use scenarios.

I already did, the posted Asus will trash that edgerouter and a $200 ubiqiti AP. for less than $100.

Don't buy overpriced 'prosumer' crap - it's no better than regular consumer gear except for the fancy 'minimalist' box and higher price tag.

ebay.com/itm/CISCO-AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9-V03-Aironet-Series-Access-Point-/371606038072?hash=item5685722638:g:dDsAAOSwyjBW4bpr

That piece Asus of garbage isn't even 802.11ac.

I haven't seen a single all-in-one that wasn't a massive piece of overheating shit that often locks up and needs to be rebooted. Even with Tomato/OpenWRT/DD-WRT.

I've got an Edgerouter X and it works flawlessly with a Ubiquiti AP AC. They never go down, and I don't have to worry about all the retarded security vulnerabilities you find on consumer routers like the one you posted.

An Apple router 'never goes down' either - but it's also overpriced garbage.
>muh AC
Wireless is for phones and tablets mate, they don't need more than that.

>An Apple router 'never goes down' either - but it's also overpriced garbage.
At least if fucking works. I'm not dealing with a piece of shit that needs to be rebooted all the time, that's why I bought a dedicated router and AP in the first place.

>Wireless is for phones and tablets mate, they don't need more than that.
Phones, tablets, laptops, consoles, digital media players, and a bunch of other shit. Hell, I've got three tablets, two phones, two laptops and all sorts of other shit. And a 300 Mbps WAN link. The router you posted wouldn't be able to handle it. It's fucking trash and you got ripped off.

Tplink archer c5 and c7 is cost below $100. Both of themsupport ddwrt.

Except it would be able to handle it, you're just salty you got cucked into overpaying for a prosumer solution instead of just using cheaper gear with better software.

>Wireless is for phones and tablets mate
and home theater PCs/devices like Roku and Chromecast, which absolutely benefit from AC when streaming HD content

No, it literally can't handle it. 802.11n can't push 300 Mbps downstream. Your shit router is filled with misleading advertising since it claims its bandwidth by saying it's 900 Mbps, which is the combined bandwidth of both its 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz modes, with each of those bands only operating at half of their theoretical speed because it includes both download and upload as well as overhead.

Why though. 2.4 N has better range and you don't need more than 8mbits for HD streaming.

Why not just use Ethernet?
Wireless is for tablets and phones.

Actually it can it's full duplex 300mbps (ie. the bullshit 600mbps part of 900mbps) on 5ghz.

Also, why does a tablet need 300mbps?

>Why not just use Ethernet?
Or I could buy an AP that isn't a piece of shit and not worry about running cable through my walls.

are these speeds gud?

Copying a file from a 3tb shitgate to a cheap Sandisk 120gb SSD...

Getting ~400mbits over AC wifi.

>Why not just use Ethernet?
because none of these devices have ethernet jacks, and no one wants to run ugly-ass, breakable ethernet 10-20 meters from their cable modem to living room?

why not just have a car with a reaaaaly long exension cord, user?

>Actually it can it's full duplex 300mbps
Right, and that's a theoretical speed that you will only get if you set that router up in space. Realistically you will get 200 Mbps at absolute most. Realistically, you will get 150 - 175 Mbps. I've already been down that road.

>Also, why does a tablet need 300mbps?
I pirate shit while I'm sitting on my sofa and want the download to finish in five seconds.

wtf, Sup Forums put the wrong pic..

are these speeds gud?

Copying a file from a 3tb shitgate to a cheap sandisk 120gb SSD...

Getting 500mbps over AC wifi

It's not bad. That's pretty much what I'd expect. Usually there will be some sort of interference and overhead, so you wont get close to whatever the manufacturer claims you can get.

the AC version is like 130 on amazon

The long range Ubiquiti AP AC is $107.

someone must have uploaded an image at the same unix time as i did...

this sideshow bob pic is definitely not 449x287

are you fucking powering it with a USB battery and a 4G data stick

NETGEAR WNR3500L N300
amazon.com/dp/B002RYYZZS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2U39TFFL2L73R&coliid=I1GCIXRMJ9FZ9Q
have this gigabit back bone
have a wd nas and get the same speed

I picked up the tplink archer c8 at office max for $90. Check those types of stores they usually have sales.

Beware that most of these cheap ones do not support ipv6, including the one pictured.

>not supporting botnet
>being a bad thing

Eh? Isn't IPv4 and IPv6 hardware-agnostic? So as long as you can flash dd-wrt/openwrt/tomato or whatever, it should be good, right?

Oh you're one of those. They were never good. Just because you can put all kinds of retarded shit on it and it was cheap enough for your broke ass doesn't mean it ever actually performed well.

>Beware that most of these cheap ones do not support ipv6, including the one pictured.
any router of at least 802.11n vintage (not early draft-n) can add ipv6 support with only a software/firmware update

if the OEM firmware still doesn't cover it, or the device is deprecated/unsupported, third-party open firmware will give you the capability

If you can flash with a proper image then yes, this is an OS thing.

Official TP-Link stance:
tp-link.com/en/faq-482.html

>Because older TP-LINK routers don’t have sufficient storage and memory space for the new IPv6 stack, we don’t have plans to have IPv6 supported in the wireless-G or wireless-B routers.

just bought one of these, how bad did i fuck up? amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY

>amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY
if that's an actual pic of your speedtest, bad.

Wireless-N will bottleneck that download bandwidth. Get an AC router.

lmao, I was wondering why I couldnt an accurate speedtest on any wireless pc...

oh well the main computers that matter are all wired to the router.

what's an AC router?

MikroTik RB2011

Dat red trim.

it's the standard after AB

what's a good wifi gigabit router
Capped at 12MB/s over wifi LAN here!