Drones like pic related can go up to 1800 feet

>drones like pic related can go up to 1800 feet
>FAA says you can only fly them up to 400 feet

So, whose stopping me from flying it higher than 400 feet? Do they have some kind of advanced drone radar that will cuck you the minute you fly it over 400 feet?

And what happens if I don't register my drone?

How are they going to enforce any of this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P3fM6VwXXFM
wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_3_Professional-_Flight_Limits_and_No-Fly_Zones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How are they going to enforce any of this shit?
With the police drones that they're obviously setting these laws up for.

How is anything enforced? Fear.
Fear that you will be charged if you seem to be doing any wrong. Fear that you start this thread and question.

I could see them enforcing the registration but not the flight ceiling

I also find it hilarious how you don't have to register a gun but you have to register a drone

>american logic

>Do they have some kind of advanced drone radar that will cuck you the minute you fly it over 400 feet?

If you're near an airport or military base, fuck yeah they do.

If you're flying near an airCRAFT, especially a military one, fuck yeah they do.

If you're flying near a particularly advanced weather station, yeah they might.

Otherwise, no.

Otherwise, no.

They already scramble drones with shots of IR signals or something along those lines

Obviously drones would be an amazing way to dispense bombs over New York. It's only a matter of time before all major cities have protective measures.

But in the country, nobody will care

If guns were invented today, the US government would never let you own them.

Why drop a bomb from a drone when you could just bomb shit the normal way by putting it in a backpack?

Because you're limited to where you can put a backpack. Sure it has its advantages but imagine flying a bomb near high buildings, or maybe swooping in on a celebration or something

found the FAA employee

>So, whose stopping me from flying it higher than 400 feet?

Those phantoms are limited to 400ft out the box, you can disable this limit but you are dumb for doing so

> Do they have some kind of advanced drone radar that will cuck you the minute you fly it over 400 feet?

some things can, but not a lot

>And what happens if I don't register my drone?

if you are flying responsibly, nothing, if you aint, and they find you, you will be heavinly fined

FAA and police

i FUCKING HATE people who dont fly responsibly are gonna get this hobby banned. too many people are seeing these as cameras rather than aircraft. most of the rules are not for pricacy, rather for safety, unlike planes and even helis, if something does go wrong, the things going down.

>limited to 400 out of the box

You sure? My phantom 3 was able to fly up to like 1600 feet out of the box. Those things can go high as fuck.

i thought they had it limited via software

mates inspire did

but what sort of boring fuck flies those

this thread perfectly captures the lack of understanding of the rc community and how fun n well it functioned before normal people fucked it forever.

you probably wont get caught at 400+ now, but you shouldn't even be asking the q. you are going to fuck it for everyone else. be responsible. it matters.

old RC shit was fucking expensive and cumbersome

$2000 fuckheug helicopters that run on gas and shit no thanks

the DJI phantoms are the iphones of RC aircraft and i'm okay with this

you won't be able to fly anything here soon.

they are literally the apple of the rc world
>overpriced
>JEST WERKS
>proprietry everything
>used by photograpers and filmers for shit videos
>blind followers and annoying fanbase
>cant actually fly for shit, has to have the device do basically everything for the "pilot"
>single handedly ruining the eexperience for everyone else by dumbing down the devices

>nah it won't happen cuz I think that sounds stupid

>american logic

Anyone here getting Lilly? I like it

Where?

>overpriced

name a better drone than the phantom 3 for $500 or less

hint: you literally can't

better is entirely subjective and has no specific meaning

but my fpv tricopter cost the best part of $200 and is a lot of fun to fly

this looks like shit tbqh

hey hey, im saving for one of those trifecta drones, how stable do they really fly? my quad is twitch as fuck

If you buy a consumer grade product it'll be programmed to not allow you to go 400 feet above the take off altitude. Just like right now, they use GPS to enforce no fly zones around airports. Overall drones are faggotry, especially camera platform drones. Racing drones get a pass for at least being moderately exciting, but flying something any idiot can fly due to built in autopilot is pleb tier. Man up and fly an RC heli, those things can fucking kill you.

How high does a Falcon fly?

I guess it will be like smonking da weed.

Smonk it in front of old or idiotic people watching the news and shit and they will go apeshit.
Smonk in front of regular smonkers and nobody will say anything.

I guess this drone shit will be just like that.
Do it in front of an airport or where hysterical people are and you will run into problems.
Do it somewhere where nobody is and just enjoy it.

They will most likely force software locks that prevent flying higher or something like that.

>what's stopping me from going on a murder rampage?
nothing really, if they catch you, you're fucked.

if guns were invented today, the us government wouldnt exist

>I guess it will be like smonking da weed.
just don't do both at once or they'll REALLY get ya

Where in the fuck do you not have to register a firearm in this country??

This. Pretty much just radar around common flight paths

you have to register your guns here dickhead
read a book

Lots of states do not have gun registration.

>you have to register your guns here dickhead
not universally.

You can DIY gun, use it on private property, so long as you don't sell it to someone else you don't need registration or even an ID number.

Similarly you can DIY a drone, but in this case it would require registration.

In Wisconsin you only have to register handguns. My friend has legal unregistered assault rifles

what's stopping people from just using these to deliver drugs

>legal unregistered assault rifles
No such thing in a the U.S. There is a federal registry for Assault rifles. Unless you mean the shitty term "assault weapon", but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt since not a lot of soccer mom's post on Sup Forums.

OH WELL OOPS, don't mind me, nobody said dickhead in this thread as far as i can recall. quietly leaving this now gunz thread my bad

not getting mad just apologizing for derailing the thread.

>what's stopping people from just using these to deliver drugs

range, and the drone probably costs more than the drugs it'd be carrying, nothing to stop someone from just catching it with a fucking net when it comes near to pass the J

>drone probably costs more than the drugs it'd be carrying
Maybe, but it's not like you're only going to use the drone once and toss it. And it's definitely cheaper than the ticket you'd get if you were caught with the drugs on your person.

What's stopping people from using these to drop shit on people and cars?

The problem is, it's hard to fly "privately" because you need/want a lot of airspace. Especially the fools asking to fly above 400ft and not getting seen.

What's to stop you? Only getting caught, which may or may not happen. What you really want to ask yourself instead is "Is it worth $10k-20k if I get caught?" Is it an unreasonable amount for a fine? I think so, but intimidation is pretty much the only thing you can use for something that hard to catch.

>And it's definitely cheaper than the ticket you'd get if you were caught with the drugs on your person.

I am not a lawyer, but if you're piloting a drone carrying drugs, and the police catch that drone with a net and find the drugs, it probably counts as a possession charge at minimum, if not intent to distribute or worse.

It's much easier to catch a flying drone than it is to catch a human in a car chase, especially if you don't care about keeping it intact.

You don't need to catch the drone, you just need to wait until it lands, then slap a fine on whoever comes to pick it up

>police catch drone
>throw controller in the trash
>get new drone

Problem solved.

By which i mean nobody's going to be CATCHING drones. They're going to be following them.

It's one thing to catch a drone, it's another thing to locate the man flying it. If you're transporting enough drugs to justify buying a multirotor you're going to be hit with intent to distribute no matter how you get caught.

>By which i mean nobody's going to be CATCHING drones. They're going to be following them.
Er, yes, this. Much easier to FOLLOW (track) than a human in a fast car, and with smaller range. Though, if caught, the serial number (or FAA registration) could possibly link it back to you just like a tossed firearm.

Even on foot, I imagine "follow it until it lands or crashes" would be a pretty successful strategy.

drones aren't controlled by IR, that would be horrible. IR is total shit for anything remote controlled past any reasonable distance or in any sort of outdoor situation. It's literally the cheapest way of wireless communication, hence why tv remotes and other really cheap, basic devices use it.

drones are controlled with over various unlicensed radio wave frequencies, usually multiple ranges if it has a camera with FPV (viewable screen of live image)

Yes they can cause interference and block them but more expensive drones dont need a controller to safely navigate back. Cheap ones... not so much. Dropping drones from the sky is a liability risk however, if its up in the air the wind can take it unpredictably.

>drones for dropping bombs
please, it's a lot easier to generate lift with a RC plane, sure you can't hover in one spot but a significantly cheaper one can take a lot heavier load than a drone can. The bomb arguement is moot, if someone is going to go that far to make a bomb, they're gonna find a way to get it where they want.
That's even assuming they build it, look at all the terrorists they catch every now and again buying ingredients and catching them before they are able to harm people, there's so many other factors to which we can (and do) prevent this without harming an entire growing industry. Also it would probably help significantly if we found alternative solutions for many products, you'd think after a while they would stop letting gardening stores sell reasonably cheap key ingredients for explosives. Whether it's total replacement or binding it to some other chemicals, there's gotta be something.

>he still needs four propellers for flight
only one soon
youtube.com/watch?v=P3fM6VwXXFM

Wouldn't even need to do that necessarily. Law enforcement officials could invent a drone mounted, computer-guided gun that fires an adhesive GPS tracker like something out of a spy movie. We have literally every piece of technology needed to do that shit now.

>as if the flying computer can't stop you from going higher than it wants.

>as if the flying computer won't tell the police secretly.

except you can't predict something that high up in the air accurately. They will miss and it will come down, and if it has the power to hit it, it likely will either break it or not stick, adhesives aren't some. Adhesives change under pressure, under velocity, etc. Besides, there's the huge risk of hitting a propeller, breaking it and causing it to fall and injure civilians, especially if some idiot behind the controls is trying to save his drone that's falling from the sky, those blades fucking cut bad.

RC as a hobby has gone to complete shit. I just sold my last 1 meter 3D plane because every time I'd go to my local football field to fly retards would swarm me asking if it had a camera or who I was spying on. These camera platform "drones" are literally the cancer killing the RC hobby, and the fuckwits flying them next to airports just sped the process up.

Maybe once FPV advances past resolutions from the 80's I'll get into quad racing.

that's the future plan ,especially with registration. eventually you wont be able to register home made ones, they'll probably have to transmit these values as well, any drones not properly transmitting it's id/registration code would be easily targeted for investigation/takedown/etc.

The operating system in these drones restricts you to a 400 feet ceiling.

Based on gps coordinates it can determine how high it's flying.

height is relative not something you can simply code in without topographic information. GPS measures height above sea level, that varies greatly across the earth. Measuring it when you start the thing isn't feasible either since all it means is users would start it off higher, ie on top of a building, hill, escarpment, etc. This is Sup Forums not Sup Forums, please educate yourself before making claims about technology you don't understand.

The starting altitude can be measured - also since the Phantom can use a "NoFlyZone" list it has most likely a database with zones and its relative altitude levels.But as with everything these are optional, not hardcoded and would / could been replaced by custom firmwares if enforced.

wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_3_Professional-_Flight_Limits_and_No-Fly_Zones

>/k/ leaves its containment board and ruins yet another thread
Sasuga

>thread is perfectly on track
>/k/ ruined the thread
Sounds more like "waah someone mentioned guns" to me

>height is relative not something you can simply code in without topographic information. GPS measures height above sea level, that varies greatly across the earth.

Undoubtedly, a controller firmware which implements hundreds of no-fly-zones and geofencing for airports and military bases would ALSO contain the meager topographic data required to factor out sea level to ground level variation. My dashboard GPS from 2004 does this.

Also, GPS aside, you can measure altitude with a barometer (altimeter), and DJI drones along with most others include this sensor and will not fly if it is nonfunctional or reporting garbage data.

>So, whose stopping me from flying it higher than 400 feet?
The software in most out-of-the-box consumer drones. Obviously a self-built one won't have those restrictions, but the idea is that someone with the know-how to make a functioning quadcopter also has the common sense not to fly it near airports, over crowds, or near other dangerous locations.

It's a gun faggot

They'll send a fucking hawk TO TAKE YOU DOWN

>live in the middle of nowhere
>acres of fields all around me as far as the eye can see
>fly my drone how high and wherever I want
Fug the bolis