Why did everyone stopped making laptops with 4:3 screens...

Why did everyone stopped making laptops with 4:3 screens? Widescreen on small notebooks is the stupidest meme and to get any decent amount of vertical space you have to get a 15.6" behemoth with shitty battery life.

Widescreen in general is a terrible meme.

my problem is literally having the touch pad directly underneath the keyboard
it's just fucking stupid

>Why did everyone stopped making laptops with 4:3 screens?

because for laptops, screen dimensions must generally equal keyboard-case dimensions.

form factor of a keyboard plus trackpad, even a REALLY ample trackpad, fits much better into a 16:9-ish envelope than a 4:3 one

not keyboards, not internals, but 4:3 screens were the limiting factor keeping laptops large in the height/width direction. For a platform designed around portability, other needs won out.

12" PowerBook G4 got everything right, it's not like manufacturers are incapable of copying Apple.

>using the touchpad on a thinkpad.

sadly I don't have a thinkpad

because apparently it costs them less to produce 16:9, all those lines of code lost man. I literally wouldn't need an external monitor if there was a decent 4:3 laptop around

Where else would it go?

I've always liked the idea of somehow combining the keys and the trackpad, so the keys or at least a dedicated key was touch sensitive and was used as the mouse.

the touchpad should be where the keypad is. a simple reach as opposed to having to move your arm all the way down

>not keeping your hands on the keyboard and using the trackpad with your thumb

gib 16:10

Is that a picture of the Bullring on your desktop? That's gay man.

Why don't you build your own? PCucks never learn...

>15.6"
>behemoth
>Implying it has worse battery life when it has more room for a battery

What? That's bullshit. A 15" T60 is far more portable than any 15.6" widescreen laptop, thick and heavy as it may be. You can't actually use a 15.6" laptop on top of your lap unless you're comically obese because they're too fucking wide.

I like 4:3 for desktop, but widescreen laptops agree with most bags I've owned, so I don't question it.

My 16:10 X201 is a good ultimatum.

Anything over 12" is a behemoth

I think 16:9 is shit but 16:10 is perfect. A lot of media, if not all, is made in either 21:9 or 16:9. You can't get away with selling a laptop in this day and age without support for that. 16:10 comes close enough to being acceptable for 16:9.

Higher resolution screens, such as 1440p or higher, to extent even full HD can benefit from wider screens as you can have two windows open adjacent. That's good for productivity, especially in work use.

I like my 4:3 T60 but I know the world is too entangled in widescreen and everything is built for it, so it's just a pipe dream to imagine 4:3 would become a thing again. Like that other user said, even the keyboard benefits from a wider form factor, though the T60 keyboard is living proof that it can work in a narrower form factor as well.

I'm good with 16:9 as long as 21:9 doesn't become a thing.

>tfw we somehow got stuck with this thin laptops are better meme when depth is the least important factor
4:3 laptops are the god tier portable machines

>using the godawful clit mouse

>taking your hands off the keyboard to move the cursor

spotted the true pleb here

>using GUI

>using a shit trackpad when you have a much better pointing device available
Thank god my Latitude has a TrackPoint, the trackpad is ass

>implying clitmouse isn't faster and more accurate than pgup/pgdn or arrow keys

To cater to normalshits.

MS makes 3:2 which is better.

Having two windows open side by side is better than having them on top of each other. Also widescreen is better for videos since you don't lose over 50% of your screen when making them fullscreen. Widescreen is actually the better option unless you are browsing a vertically long website or reading one long text document.

Also imagine if you had a 27" screen that's not widescreen. It would be uncomfortable since some of your windows would have to be high up so you can effectively use the whole area. Widescreen is more comfortable there, you just get more desktop room on the side.

>owning a thinkpad

>not owning a thinkpad

Does 4k 16:9 at least solve some of the vertical space issues of 1080p?

wat
there are plenty of ultrathin and light 4:3 systems

>multitasking on a fucking laptop
>watching movies on a laptop when phones and tablets do it better in every way

>being a normie and not multitasking on a laptop
>watching videos on a tiny ass phone screen
>getting a tablet at all when phone and laptop is the perfect portable combo

If you have a big enough resolution monitor vertical space is a non-issue on wide-screen monitors and works better for 16:9 content.
16:10 is definitely the best balance though.

>5" screen is better for watching movies than a 15" screen
what

16:10 is good for 16:9 video content as the video fits perfectly with taskbar below it and menu bar above it

>visible task bar and menu bar during a movie
absolutely disgusting

What does that Duck key next to the power button do?

Sends a swarm of ducks at your internet enemy.

can't tell if you're trolling, but I own a memepad t60 and it's the print screen key. That keyboard is in some weird language.

it's a german keyboard retards

they had to adapt to the new usage cases

heil hitler

Other than apple, does anyone else makes notebooks with non-16:9 screen? meme touchscreen chromebooks and surfaces need not apply

the clit hurts my wrist

there is nothing that can be expressed with meme on surface books.

Practice, grasshopper.

Of course, it's like 2000 pixels tall. But it depends on the screen size.

Of course, a 5" FHD IPS screen is much better than a 15" 768p TN screen.

>You can't actually use a 15.6" laptop on top of your lap unless you're not a manlet because they're too fucking wide.

Fixed that for you.

Based Apple still uses 4:3 on their iPads and 16:10 on their MacBooks.

This. Why the fuck would you use the Bullring as your desktop background

stop buying laptops from 2003, you'll get full HD (or higher) IPS screens

I'm 6'8 and I've never been able to use a 15.6" laptop comfortably in my lap. I'm not even hungry skeleton tier.

>mfw 1024x768 x61t with no trackpad whatsoever

My dad had an X61 without the touchpad. Not the tablet though.

Are you using your laptop like this?

>Thinkpad

Nice meme.

>attempting to use a reddit/facebook meme to justify your improper use of a mobile productivity system
>what are televisions and tablets
>gimping your laptop with a shitty aspect ratio "because Sup Forums said it's the perfect combo!"

>what are televisions and tablets
>awkwardly roasting your semen into submission with a tiny ass gimped 16:9 15'' screen with shit pixel density is somehow better

4:3 is coming baaaaaaaack on tablets.
Widescreen is cancer.

So, the benefits of each monitor aspect ratios:
4:3 - Pythagorean Triple, that's pretty dank
16:10 - Closest sane ratio to golden ratio
16:9 - Square of a Pythagorean Triple, what does it mean?

saw a woman at work the other day in a similar skirt

>be woman
>wear tiny skirt
>waaah no-one takes me seriously

hi im new on this, some one who speak spanish? im from mexico

killo youreselfo mijo