Why aren't you using a PowerPC based Mac with a freedom certified distro?

Why aren't you using a PowerPC based Mac with a freedom certified distro?
Do you like to have kike powered government killswitchs in your computers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EF7xIHKx6As
macintoshgarden.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sexy chasis desu.

I think i'd rather have a sun sparc.

Because I could easily use a polycarb C2D Macbook with libreboot and a freedom certified distro

Had one of those. Sold it. Well, the x86 version at least. The hardware is frankly outdated.

Literally the only actual good quality machine Apple made. And they decide to fuck it up by making a weird cylinder shape with crappy laptop hardware.

The PowerPC macs were literally the Apple glory days for the tech savvy. Now its just catering to morons by putting turds in a shiny case.

I would actually still have some respect for Apple is the new mac pro wasnt absolute shit.

>Do you like to have kike powered government killswitchs in your computers?
>mac

That's pretty much anyone with a motherboard sold and distributed in America m8.

I've got a couple PowerPC Macs running OpenBSD. Updating my PowerBook G4 to 5.9 right now

>PowerPC Mac
>government killswitch
Gonna need a source on that.

I have one of the last ones of these made, but with the intel setup.

they have socketed CPUs... I updated it to the last xeon 775 chip. 32gb ram. 4x 1TB hard drives in a raid 10 array. some sort of nvidia card.

running the latest os x (had to thunk the 32bit boot efi). total cost was $300. it's 4 years out of date this point but it's a "fast enough" mac for the price and looks really good.

when it becomes super outdated, I'll retire the cpu/mobo and build a hackintosh inside the same case. I have a macbook to work off of if it comes down to that.

anyone remember the plastic G3/G4 cases that came before the G5/macpro? super 90s but they're catching on now for custom case mods.

>but they're catching on now for custom case mods.
Fucking clueless mongrels ruining great hardware

>Core 2 Duo
>Freedom

>power pc mac
Do you know how to read?

This.
I don't have a Power Mac, but a Classic Mac Pro, 4.1.
Still kicks any modern laptop. Needs a new graphics card and SSD, in other way.
I wish to score a Power PC G5 mac to make it my own freetard paradise, running a tor relay and other free networks related shit.

When this star wars meme will die?

> great hardware

best one they ever made was a dual 1.42ghz PPC 7455... and it was overclocked and got super hot

Lowest end PowerMac G3 is still better than some gaymur PC bastardization

no idea

just to clarify, that pic is not what I have... I have what is in OPs pic (toaster mac pro)

>I have what is in OPs pic
No, you have a Mac Pro.

>crappy laptop hardware
But user, the cilinder mac pro uses desktop parts.
Their firepros are underclocked though.

>super 90s but they're catching on now for custom case mods.
god why
as if hipsters destroying pristine working G5s for their shitty i3+3.5gb mATX builds because fractal and lian li are too mainstream wasn't enough

yeah? and? that's pretty fucking great for OS 9 and most PPC OS X software unless you're doing some pretty heavy media work, I'd love the fuck out of a nice dual-CPU MDD to replace my sawtooth 500 if I could afford one

same case, autist, just like the blue/white G3 was the same case as the platinum G4

*similar case

G5s use totally different cases from those you mong

because I don't need to.
this guy did though.

youtube.com/watch?v=EF7xIHKx6As

> great for OS 9
wh... why? no modern browsers... no video decoding...

Waiting on RISC-V. LowRISC should be taping out production chips by the end of this year.

>no modern browsers
Not only are you wrong, but computers are also used for more than browsing the web

>Mac
nice meme

lol no they're not come on

I know. I said g3 and g4 are the same just like g5 and mac pro.

exact same molds, different colors. different mounts on the inside but that's minor.

>exact same molds
*similar

>but you can't use it as a convenient mindless YouTube consumption terminal! it's shit!
boo hoo who fucking cares
and it isn't even true, there's Classilla for OS 9 and TenFourFox for OS X, a good G5 or dual-socket G4 with a decent GPU will handle things just fine

but if all you want to do is just sit around and squander your time surfing facebook and shitty e-celeb videos all day, why the fuck did you even buy a desktop in the first place?

>No modern browsers
Classilla
iCab
Camino
TenFourFox

>no video decoding
The fuck are you even on about? Do you think video playback didn't exist before Sky/v/ taped out or something?

Even if for some reason you can't get whatever shitty hipster format/resolution you want to play on a PPC system, why the fuck don't you just use a phone and a chromecast or at least a dedicated HTPC/set-top box hooked up to a real screen like anyone who isn't a retard in this century?

Yeah doesn't kick my modern laptop though so your wrong. (Lenovo y510p)

>doesnt kick my modern laptop
In what application?

On a hardware standpoint

The 4.1 is literally using outdated laptop graphics. The only thing is got going for it is the 640 GB 7200 rpm HDD.

In graphics youre right. Stock nvidia gt 120 is shit. But can be changed. (I'm planning to get a R9 280x on it)
CPU power, in other way its fine.
Anyway, isnt a muh gaymen machine.

It can't even really use an SSD because it's SATA2 and therefore kind of bottlenecks even the low tier brands.The RAM is still DDR2 which is ehh (and still ridiculously expensive). The CPUs are a little dated in features but not necessarily performance: two of them equal about one modern desktop CPU. Also heavy as shit.

Anyway that's why I sold mine. It was fun while it lasted.

Yeah true. Also depends what you're using it for. Sorry for hating on your baby bc I'm a Windows fanboy.

You don't need SATA III for an SSD to be useful. I've had a SATA III SSD in my iMac with SATA II for over a year, definitely worth it. Also there are these things called PCIe cards, you can easily add a SATA III card to a Mac Pro.
>heavy as shit
It's a fucking desktop

Thats Im planning to get a PCI-e ssd like the kingston hyperx predator.
I can moan, i got this machine for almost nothing.

>I'm a Windows fanboy
We're discussing hardware you fucking inbred. What the fuck are you doing on a technology board? is that way.

It's abnormally heavy even for a desktop. I've lugged a lot of desktops in my day. Like I said, I owned one. At least subjectively heavier than a SUN VM server (60 lbs).

>You don't need SATA III for an SSD to be useful. I've had a SATA III SSD in my iMac with SATA II for over a year, definitely worth it.
Yeah but you'll definitely see it cap out. Honestly what killed it for me was the lack of EPT and other fancy features on the CPUs. For the money a guy might as well buy a new computer with DDR3/SATA3/modern CPU features.

macintoshgarden.org/
Because computers are something more than a glorified DVD player with Facebook connectivity.

>At least subjectively heavier than a SUN VM server (60 lbs).
It's factually lighter, 40lbs.

Way harder to get a good hold of though. You also have to be careful with grabbing the "handlebars" because, if you notice on ebay and such, the rivets holding the sides on tend to split under moderate pressure.

>lack of ETP
But nehalem processors have ETP.

>Yeah but you'll definitely see it cap out
No fucking shit

Oh yeah I guess I had a 3,1. The RAM looks like it's DDR3 on that one too.

No need to get upset. You just probably won't see much of a performance boost over just buying a quality hard drive or doing striped RAID.

Why are you talking about intel mac pros?
This thread is about using old macs for avoid issues with intel drm shit without paying premium for a gluglug.

No need to state the obvious either. And no, the difference is noticeable.
>RAID
Did you miss the part where I said iMac?

>using botnet PPC hardware when you can still cheaply acquire C8000s and enjoy a platform so obscure even the NSA wouldn't know about it

To be honest those old machines are outdated pieces of shit that can't even run a modern operating system.

You will pretty much never see any functional advantage from using a PowerPC Mac Pro versus the models being discussed here.

>You will pretty much never see any functional advantage from using a PowerPC Mac Pro versus the models being discussed here.
Yeah, using something that never existed sounds a little hard to do.

Power Macs are still pretty nice boxes though.

>No need to state the obvious either
Based on your responses there's apparently a very big need.
>And no, the difference is noticeable.
Like I said I owned a Mac Pro with SATA2 and I set it up exactly how you are setting yours up. Unless you've done that, why are you even bothering to counteract my personal experience with your hot unsubstantiated opinions?
>Did you miss the part where I said iMac?
Did you miss the part where I said Mac Pro?

You need to fucking relax, this is a board where people come to hang out not develop hemorrhoids. This sort of bullheaded indulgence in confirmation bias is exactly why everyone on this board hates on Mac users. You're ruining our image.

>To be honest those old machines are outdated pieces of shit that can't even run a modern operating system.
To be honest you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Yep, probably you had a 3.1.
Lot's of 3.1 are being sold this days. I was very lucky to get a 4.1.

>botnet ppc

>Based on your responses there's apparently a very big need.
No, there was no need. You're just bullshitting excuses.
>Like I said I owned a Mac Pro with SATA2 and I set it up exactly how you are setting yours up
You're thinking of a different user.
>Did you miss the part where I said Mac Pro?
You can't just pretend I have a different computer you fucking mong

G3 perhaps.
G4 and G5 can handle some OS fine.
OpenBSD is a modern operating system that's being actively developed and that shit runs fine in powerbooks.

do you really expect anything different from gamertards who only care about BIG NUMBERS that use their desktop as a giant smartphone?

What can you do with HP-UX?

Modelling shitty shrek sequels?

I've only ever seen them used as CAD boxes, I think there's still a GM surplus C8K on Ebay painted dark blue with Cadillac badging.

There are several GNU/Linux distros, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and MorphOS that will run on them if you're really worried about how big your version number is.

>You will pretty much never see any functional advantage from using a PowerPC Mac Pro versus the models being discussed here.
Application and peripheral compatibility. Not everything is about making games go fast.

>Mac
nice meme

>muh gaymen
But this thread is about relatively cheap machines who are proven to be free from Intel issues introduced since Intel ME.
It isn't about modern hardware or Mac Pro's.

Shame you can't hear shit over that blasting, annoying-as-fuck music.

I know the guy, the next video that comes out, when he gets back from work out of state, is going to not have the silly music to my knowledge.

I've never seen a G5 or a Mac Pro case with such an issue

>PowerPC Mac Pro
No such thing.

Because I'd rather use a SPARC based system instead.

>SPARC
>A choice between Slowlaris or some fuccboi Lincuck distro

OpenBSD is a thing if Solaris 9/10 concerns you.

I own one

Every distro refuses to display anything but artifacts on the screen.

osx works though.