Upgrading pc. gonna have

upgrading pc. gonna have

>intel skylake i7 6700k

>Asus ROG Z170 Maximus VIII Hero Skylake ATX Motherboard

> nivida gtx 1070 when it comes out

any one know how much power this will take?

>skykek
>7.5/8

Not as much as some people think it needs.
600w will do you fine.

whats wrong with skylake?

>memelake
>not 5820k or broadwell-e
>ROG

is that way

6600k and 6700k are surprisingly good for encoding and video editing.

Probably less than 300w. 500w is more than enough. Go high efficiency.

Nothing, people didnt like it at first because it only introduced a small performance increase for $50 more. half the people on g who tell you its a joke/meme cant tell you why because they just regurgitate what they hear.

>surprisingly

I need an upgrade too, I want to play Dark Souls 3 and Doom.

I keep thinking I should wait for Zen/Polaris, at the very least for the price drop. Thoughts?

i don't want to upgrade again for a while.

muh extra frame rate

If you bought a i7-2600k 5 years ago, it would still be completely fine for about anything related to gayming and normal use.
As it it wouldn't even be a bottleneck in anything at this point.

So you don't really have to wait for things to come out, just go and get the newest i7 series, or some high end AMD CPU and you're set for at least the next 5 years, maybe even longer.

>asus z170

Well you're in for a bad time

I play DS3 and Doom at 60FPS+ @1600p (with everything on / ultra) with my 6600k stock speed + 980ti + 8GB RAM

Reminder to cool your CPUs with Delta "Mega Fast" fans

>So you don't really have to wait for things to come out, just go and get the newest i7 series, or some high end AMD CPU and you're set for at least the next 5 years, maybe even longer.
Not him, but wasn't AMD worse than Intel at the moment? I thought people are waiting for new AMD's to see if they finally overpower Intel.

Still wont compare to a 5820k clocked at 4Ghz+

Those two extra cores really make a difference in rendering and encoding.

Also my computer with a 5820k, GTX 960, etc, only draws ~100-120w while idle and I don't think i've ever seen it draw over 375w.

Thanks guys. I'm mostly thinking that Zen will cause Intel to lower their prices, but if it is competitive, I'd rather get the AMD chip. Purely for nostalgia, I always used AMD for my builds.

I've been eyeballing the skylake i5 for a while though.

They're worse than intel at the moment yes, but they're still good enough.
People are mostly waiting out of interest to see if AMD can finally pull themselves out of that ditch and compete on equal terms with Intel.
Still, the current or even bit older CPUs aren't really any kind of a bottleneck at this point and haven't been for years.
So as long as you get something that's even remotely on the higher end, you'll be just fine.

Of course if you're into some kind of content creation, then it's going to make sense to go the extra mile and get something from Intel that has tons of fast cores.

housefire gpu confirmed

~550w should be fine, give you more than a lil' headroom.

I run a 620w and I've got juice to spare.

I have a Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and it's perfectly fine.