Hey Sup Forums, I need some pointers and this is the best place to ask...

Hey Sup Forums, I need some pointers and this is the best place to ask. Haven't had a smartphone in years due to concerns of privacy, security and finance, but lacking proper GPS and camera is a bitch.

I'm not up to speed anymore; I'm looking for a device which, after jailbreaking/rootkitting/bricking, can be made into a reasonably secure, private device with good safety of data and personal info, and absolutely no fucking social networking/google botnet. This will not be easy for several reasons, but who knows.

BTW, I'm fairly experienced with Linux, CLI, networking and compiling, if necessary I'm willing to hack it apart and void any warranty so long as there's sufficient guides/info online. Any recommendations?

>I need some pointers
Here you go user
int * a;
char * b;
float * c;

Be careful with them!

Thanks man, just what I was looking for.

An iPhone. No, I'm not joking.

You'll never have a 100% guaranteed botnet free device since you don't know what manufacturers put on their device's firmware. But your best bet is to get a cheap android phone with an unlockable bootloader, then flash Cyanogenmod or another open-source OS. they don't include Google Apps by default.

You then download Fdroid app store for other apps, and you're set. This leaves you with a totally open source OS, with closed source firmware and closed source networking tools (AT&T probably collects data, etc.). So not perfect, but it's a modern mobile OS that at least stops you from sucking Google's cock.

I did this with $200 Moto G, haven't looked back. Worst part is Google maps comfiness compared to Osmand, but overall I'm happy

Care to elaborate?

>raw pointer
What year is it?

std::unique_ptr p1;

Be safe user.

What phones do you hear the FBI goes to courts and pay millions of dollars to unlock them and retrieve some information? iPhones or Androids?

Get an android phone, iPhones are dogshit. I should know, I used to own an iPhone 5 and 6.

Mainly because pic related exists. As time goes on you will want more media on your phone (watching movies/tv shows in bed/ ect). When your 16GB iPhone becomes full all you will be able to do is cry yourself to sleep. But if you have an android phone with a microsd slot you can just pop in a microsd card (32,64,128,256 GB and more soon).

Thanks, this is just what I'm looking for. However -

- what about the apps from this circulated appstore? Are they open source as well, or in any way guaranteed to not leak data (the way Angry Birds giving away full user's personal bio, for instance)? I wouldn't want to trade one evil for another.
- How flexible and powerful is this distro? Does it support CLI? Can I configure ipchains or some other firewall method?

this desu. I'd get one of the chinkphones, so at least there's a lower chance of the data collected being shared with your government.

How prevalent is HW-based data collection, anyway? Are there even any examples?

Every app in FDroid is open source, it's a requirement. So you don't have as many of the Google play store apps of Memebirds and flashlight apps that are really bitcoin miners. You also can see exactly what permissions any app requests in CM, turn off what you don't like. This is called the privacy manager.

I don't think any modern Android ""distros"" support CLI. But I haven't looked into it too much. You might be able to set up a firewall or other stuff, but you'd probably have to modify the CM source code then manually building the OS for your device. That's just my guess, this isn't my area of expertise.

I know there's decent tor support for Android

This. I ditched my 16GB iPhone 4s for an android phone and now have 32GB + 200GB of storage space.

For desktop, Intel's been accused of backdoors for their serial over LAN functionality for x86-64. Some BIOS/UEFI companies have been accused to leave backdoors.

For mobile, some people believe they found proof that stepping through some mobile devices firmware that they could see the microphone being activated and sending data. But that's some Stallman.org level of paranoia.

The biggest thing IMO is the networking tools for 4G/wifi. There's a 100% pure FOSS android distro called Replicant. It sucks, they literally can't do any networking because the way the networking drivers are set up. You really don't know exactly what's going on.

So not exact proof, but a lot of closed source weirdness that you can never be sure of.

Also OP I just remembered there's a useful subreddit called /r/fossdroid or /r/flossdroid or something. Contains some more reading information, including people who modify Android distros to better fit their privacy needs. Check it out

Here, I found some sort of compatibility layer for pure Linux on your device. It's not emulating it, it's doing something else i'm not too much of an expert with.

This is my CM gapp free device btw. This store you see is fdroid.

Thanks again for these, that's exactly the reason I went to Sup Forums. Any phones you'd personally recommend? Is there a compatibility issue with some HW that requires the use of specific models etc.? I'd rather buy something cheaper since I'm not paying for the ease-of-life tools that come with most Android OS, and I really only need the device's hardware and opensource tools. Something robust would also be good since I'm a clutz.

Get an iPhone, the most secure device of all the garbage the modern market has to offer.

Just make sure any phone you get has an unlocked bootloader, that's the most important part.

I only have experience with the Moto G. I'd recommend it for 3 reasons
1) it's a modern budget phone, so only $200 but it'll last longer than getting a 2 year old flagship for $200. All android Devices aren't made to last more than a few years.
2) official bootloader unlocking support. This is the most important one. Motorola will make you click through 200 "You're voiding your warranty! Are you sure?" prompts, but it's an official channel for unlocking the bootloader so it's secure. Other phones, like Samsung, sometimes have to unlock the bootloader through unofficial hacking ways that firmware updates try to patch. Much more likely to brick.
3) you can buy on amazon

Ofcourse if privacy is your main concern, a chink phone may be better for reasons this user said. Just do your research, you seem like an intelligent guy. There's enough info out there about limiting Google's presence on Android, People more intelligent than me.

Sorry, forgot to mention Moto G is water resistant. And any phone you get should get an Otterbox, GOAT of all time case.

The disadvantage to chink shit is no CM or other rom support. So whatever phone you get, make sure before you buy it you can flash CM or any other OS on it

But that's only because terrorists and mass murderers prefer to use iPhones. Thinking that makes them cool.

>Oh no, the NSA will see my high-score in angry birds!
Stop being a sheep there's nothing risky about a smartphone in terms of privacy and data.

>Gmail autoscanning
>location services stored
>targeted advertisements based off search history
>other grey area data sending with gapps

You can have a functional smartphone while being semi privacy worried.

>You can have a functional smartphone while being semi privacy worried
I doubt that. Would OP not use gmail? Would he not turn on his GPS traffic software with data-tracking to avoid jams? Would he not install games and apps of unknown source that may take his camera / microphone and send data over WiFi to some organization? If you use a smart phone, you're always exposing yourself, period.

Faggot we just described how to do so.

>custom flashed android OS without googleapps
>fdroid app store, all open source

I'm literally typing this from that exact described smartphone. Only nonfree parts are the Motorola firmware and at&t's network stuff.

Read the thread next time

this was my first cellphone when i was like 16.

>be working at long john silvers
>decide to take mushrooms with a friend
>trip hard for like 6 hours and get all sunburnt and dehydrated
>go to sleep
>wake up to phone call
>its my coworker, says theyre going to fire me if i dont show up
>now it's pouring rain
>get on my bicycle and ride to work, still feeling a little weird and trippy
>realize ive dropped my phone somewhere
>turn back to find it
>see a puddle in the road glowing with this weird green illumination
>wtf am i still tripping
>ah, no, it's my phone, completely submerged in water and still working
>fish it out, continue to work and cook shrimp while coming down off a mushroom trip