What router is Sup Forums using in 2016?

What router is Sup Forums using in 2016?

Other urls found in this thread:

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funkmesswagen
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Linksys wrt-1200AC. Cost me $120 brand new and performs great. Had to reset it after a power outage making the 5ghz band not respond, but overall zero complaints.

that one

RT-N66U

Works well on FTTH

891w because I'm not a pleb

is beamforming a meme?

EdgeRouter

bought a TD-W8970 and realized i need a cable router

bought a TL-WR940N and it arrived today

IT'S NOT FUCKING GIGABIIIIIIIIIIIT

I'm sick of returning things ._.

MikroTik hAP ac

>he uses cisco's backdoor certified hardware
Everyone point and laugh!

APU1D

explain

Netgear R7000 with Tomato

It's magnificent.

Netgear R6300

That one with dd-wrt. Its god-tier compared to my old wireless-N tp-link I got for $20. Did the job just fine, but just needed extra range and dual band

I've been looking at the edgerouter x sfp, is it any good?

WR-841N with manufacturer firmware, running smooth for 2 years already.

CISCO runs proprietary firmware and software on their devices, which allows complete backdoor access to your network.

Logs are sent to CISCO without user input.

CISCO can remotely shut down your network hardware if they don't agree with what you're doing.

Whatever my jew-owned ISP forces on me.

Have they ever done any of that?

wrt54/g/ with dd-wrt

Assuming your service doesn't go beyond 40-45Mbps (OC pending) and 802.11G is fine, WRT's work great to this day, I buy them up at thrift stores, throw heatsinks on them, put DD-WRT on them, and sell them for quadruple what I paid for to people who need something better than the AIO shit ISP's give you

not him but, the point is they CAN.

MicroTik ia no better. Closed source, and if you decide you want to try some 3rd party fw and then revert to stock, you have to pay them to do so. must pay for updates as well.

fuck that noise

OpenWrt master race.

It works well for my basic home lab setup. Most of the config used to be command line only, but the web interface has gotten a lot better over the past couple years.

Trust Asus RT-N66U running Tomato Shibby. Very happy with it and it does the job well. Might switch over to DD-WRT at some point to test the waters there as well, but as for now Tomato runs smooth as hell on it.

The one provided by my ISP.

I am using this router called Cat6

what router brands are to be avoided?

Links ys and asus

Dlink DIR-655

Why upgrade if I don't need to?

falafel.

Same :^)

The same I was using in 2008

WR1043ND

Forgot pic

>bought a TL-WR940N and it arrived today
>IT'S NOT FUCKING GIGABIIIIIIIIIIIT
This is why you read the specifications first you moron.

Me too.

Seems like a good thread for my question

What's the point of external firewalls devices cisco asa? What do they do that regular can't?

Is this any good?

>What's the point of external firewalls devices cisco asa? What do they do that regular can't?

What do they do that regular routers* can't?

False. Yes, Cisco's IOS is closed source, but it does not have any known phone home functions or software backdoors. There are rumours floating around that Cisco devices are often intercepted by the NSA in transit and hardware-based backdoors are put in place, but that could happen with any platform, open or not.

That one
Actually just got it last week for my first 5GHz router and it has been working great, except for the 2.4GHz band I don't know what's up with it, slows down to a dog worse than my previous $20 TP-Link router. Oh well though, I don't have any devices that don't already support 5GHz and if not they're connected via RJ45, so I might as well just disable 2.4GHz

jokes on you op, I'm still waiting for the Turris Project meme

Literally just got this one delivered today. It's got all the standard features, but I chose this one for the USB3 port so I could hook a hard drive into it.

USB Port master race

mikrotik ccr1009-8g-1s-1s+

how botnet is the Cisco SB SG200-08?

Whats with all these little girly devices?

I used to use an old Cisco 1042N but decided to get something new when I got a new place and a stand alone modem.

This thing works pretty well but I wish I had more control over what SSIDs were on what radios and all. Band select would also be nice since it tossed my desktop on 2.4 for no apparent reason.

Who /tplink/ only here?

WDR3600

got one, left it stock.

it's the first wireless router i've ever owned that 'just works'.

My PC is connected directly to the modem.

TP-link a shit
They plan to lock down their hardware, and they have shit UIs on stock firmware.

Still using this supermicro until my Omnia comes.

Is it even real?Or is it some ''meme'' photoshoped image

Does anyone here run their own router? How is it?

Openwrt on x86
Better then pfsense

It's real, the model is in the damn title.

It's got dual 5ghz radios, so 3 bands total. It's generally meant for small office use to reduce interference. Most of my shit is wired anyways so its sort of pointless, but more 5ghz is always better.

c5 v2

That's really cute user.

This one!

what router should i buy to be able to boost broadcast power?

Just bought a TP-Link C9 1900. How did I do?

Any routers than can do this "beam" thing besides Airport Extreme?

this actually looks pretty fucking sweet desu, just a little too expensive

My neighbors Linksys WRT-whatever. It works great. Also i locked them out of it. Which is probably why it works great.

It's the best router. I've one running on an alix board

If you believe only airports can do that you are retarded and drinking too much fucking koolaid. Almost any decent accesspoint/router is going to do this. I'm not sure who did it first but I can garuntee it wasn't apple. Cisco AP's have had client link for ages.

ok, thanks for the info.

Every MIMO AC router uses beamforming, it's part of the standard, and
not nearly the miracle technology that Apple marketing makes it out to be.

At best you will improve signal by 1 bar in certain areas of the coverage, while reducing it significantly in others.

You can always achieve the same effect by aiming the antennas better, or moving the router.

bump

Anything else = shit taste

with pfsense or ipfire?

This one, with OpenWRT.

Zero problems, zero complaints. Best decision I've ever made.

routers designed for non-US use

I use the Xiaomi Mini Wifi 3, which is an AC router with non-FCC-compliant "block" transmit power option. You can google reviews, most people report it working in the parking lots below their apartment buildings and so on.

Mine works out to the BACK yard of my neighbor across the street.

VERY MEME
WOULD BUY

IPfire

Runs great
used for home network

2x Gigabit ethernet + only 2.4 GHz Wireless

Is that a 4-Port PCIe NIC?

What is that Molex socket on the mainboard for?

It's not to power a HDD, is it? (wouldn't it be the other way roud then (female instead of male)???)

and if I live in EU region? Wat do?

Kys

In the past here in Germany the "Post" or today the "Bundesnetzagentur" (german equivalent of the FCC) would drive arroud with one of these (pic.) and measure for any illegal transmissions (like: to powerful, or on reserved frequencies).

They only did this if someone called them.

> Grandmas TV signal is disorted
> It always happens when her neighbour hippie would use his micorwave oven
> "Funkmesswagen" comes and measures
> Hippie has to remove the microwave
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funkmesswagen

Why tomato and not something like Merlin?

Oh goddamn it I forgot the pic!
HERE

how do you like it? thinking about upgrading from a midrange asus router

Have an Asus RT-N53. would it be worth it to upgrade to Tomato?

dang this is a beautiful machine
trust germany to be all over this shit

that said, nothing like this exists in the US, you won't get in trouble unless you're adjacent an airport, hospital, or military base

WRT310N running Tomato as my router (wifi disabled), DIR-850L as my WiFi AP (it also has a 3TB HDD hooked up for backups.

Yes. You can't just transmit stuff all over the place. Well technically, you can, but if there's noone you're "harming" with your transmisdions, nobody will complain.

a netgear wndr3800 running gargoyle (based on openwrt, but has better QoS configuration imo)

Didn't mean to quote(tm)

previously on ADSL, billion 7800 nxl

now i'm on fibre (NBN) - asus rt ac87u

I have the poe edge router and their small WAP.
I like it. Poe for my house reduces cables.

Bought it 3 years ago and it's still running like a clock, I'll upgrade when it breaks.

None of my devices even support 5ghz anyway so i have no use for AC.

I may eventually ditch wifi altogether and make a cat 5 wired network in my house.

>cat 5 wired network
Cat6 or bust.

>>cat 5 wired network
>Cat6 or bust.
Cat6a or bust.

>
>>>cat 5 wired network
>>Cat6 or bust.
>Cat6a or bust.
Cat7 or bust.

>Cat6a or bust.
Cat7 or bust

Ubiquiti UniFi AC.
Accept no substitutes.

Netgear DGN2200v3
I wonder if it's the case to change it. It works perfectly for me but the latency in games gets high when there are too many devices PCs/phones connected but I guess that's just my connection (20Mb plan).
I also use it in debug mode so i can run the command to change the SNR and get more bandwidth

pfsense on an old dell with a ubiquiti wireless access point.

this thing paired with the shitty dsl router from my ISP

>tfw only the shitty one has gigabit