Installing OS X on my desktop /g

>installing OS X on my desktop /g
What's your reason for not installing a superior Unix OS on your desktop instead of running shitnix or wangblows?

Other urls found in this thread:

accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=up275k3
amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-UP2715K-27-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00OKSFXZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463280581&sr=8-1&keywords=dell 5k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like being able to use a file-system that isn't shit.
I like having hardware that is actually supported.

>Lunix shit hidpi support
>Shit driver support
>Unpolished af and just shit overall.

>Lunix shit hidpi support
Like that matters on a 1080p screen.
>Shit driver support
Last time i checked apple didn't support any of my hardware.

I like muh gaymes

But i installed, user.

Osx supports pretty much every desktop Intel and most non-shit motherboards

/thread

is it just me or does monaco look like comic sans?

Good man!

What's your reason for not installing a superior Unix OS on your desktop instead of running fagOS?

>OpenBSD
>Into the trash it goes.

Wow! Nice!

Thanks for the pic.

I do not think. Look the diference:

What's your reason for not installing a superior Windows or Linix OS on your desktop instead of running toddler MacOS?

Because installing it on AMD hardware is a huge pain, not to mention
>muh gaymes

>B but I do run Windows only for muh games, I still hate windows tho
>>Shitnix don't support 4k screen, driver issues and just don't werk.

Because UNIX is a overrated shit OS.

[citation need]

Kernel panic

FUCK SHIT GODDMAN MOTHERFUCKER COCKSUCKING SLUT WHORE FUCK APPLE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now what Sup Forums?

>using unibeast
>using tonymac tools

Pleb.

Post your hardware detail. For now, google it:

"IOATAFamily kernel panic"

Trying to be OP when retard can't even read tonymac directions...

no drivers, same reason I can't even use loonix

NVidia Optimus + weird wifi + no thermal control

Audio didn't work.

>The 90s called they want their hardware back.

>OS X driver support is good guys!
>doesn't even handle hardware that's been around for 20 years
If that's the case I can't imagine how terrible it wold be for new hardware, even Linux isn't this slow on making drivers.
Nice selling point.

>unix components like the filesystem are hidden completely by default
>no real way to fully uninstall applications
>toy GUI with bullshit like making every window full-screen instead of maximizing it
>shit GPU performance with builtin drivers
>file manager sucks
>X11 performance is completely gimped

Who are you quoting, retard

>>X11 performance gimped

Cool story bruh x11 is shit from a start. When linux complete gets overhauled by Wayland then maybe I'll think about running ubambuzle.

>works well on linux
>shit on osx

>osx is not the problem, i swear

I remember when I ran it it worked out for a bit but then
>sound randomly stopped working despite installing everything correctly
>ethernet did the same shit
>tried everything I could think of short of reinstalling
>nothing worked

To boot the mouse support is still weird and using a mouse in general on OS X is still kind of odd like I remember. The mouse always has a weird sluggish feeling yet under Windows and Linux it works just fine. Never could get rid of that feeling and I hated it.

Because I wanted a 5k screen and didn't want to fiddle with Tonymac shit to get OS X working.

Hi Miles. What do you do for work?

>HFS+
>corrupts more than any filesystem
>stores metadata in big endian form and needs to byte swap every time it is read
>case insensitive by default
>outdated coreutils, bash 3.2
>no official package manager, only half assed bullshit
>outdated clang that fails to compile 80% of software
>assembler that doesn't support any SSE or AVX instructions
>linker that almost never works because of shitty Mach-O bloated binaries
>cancerous UI that looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old
>tries to be windows and Unix at the same time and fails horribly at both
>launchd uses XML config files
>more RCE vulns in 2015 than Windows XP in it's entire lifetime
Why aren't you using a shitty worthless OS with no benefits whatsoever?

BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
L
O
W
N

T
H
E

F
U
C
K

O
U
T

Is OS X free?

You can get it for free from the VM. Check out hackintosh generals here.

Yeah but is their a way to install a genuine OS X onto a HDD without having to use a VM?

Yes, you can download it from a VM and put it on a bootable usb, then install it normally on hdd or ssd.

Check out the newly opened hackintosh general, there are guys who know this better than me anyway.

I do use it, on my 5K iMac and Macbook Air.

I didn't enjoy it and it doesn't look the best just on a regular 1080p monitor

because it's pretty nice and works on my machine :^)

Why are you asking?

This shit thread again? Kill yourself OP.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

I like my hardware to be supported. Theo is also a bigger asshole than Linus.

its pronouced Carrot

Because it isn't a server OS with a 2% of its user base trying to shoehorn it onto desktop and failing miserably.

If it isn't a server OS then why does OS X ship with Apache and Postfix by default?

>superior Unix OS on your desktop
>Having to use hacks and worry about forthcoming updates that may or may not break your install
kek/10

>Unix OS
fortykeks.JPG

>BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>L
>O
>W
>N
>T
>H
>E
>F
>U
>C
>K
>O
>U
>T

>Having to use hacks and worry about forthcoming updates that may or may not break your install

Can I borrow your time machine and go back to 2006 too?

I bought a 5K iMac not long ago, honestly don't regret it at all. Display is beautiful and the rest of the components are perfectly acceptable given I paid $1700 for it.

Don't say that, someone might get butthurt and start talking about GPUs and video games.

Not him but I couldn't even get OS X to boot to the installer on my T410 and T520. My gaming computer as well, but that was AMD so I kind of expected it.
I don't trust hackintoshes at all.

I don't care what people on Sup Forums think. It has the Radeon R9 290X which isn't that bad. I didn't get it to play games and the rest of the specs are okay, 3.5GHz i5 and has a 128GB SSD with 1TB hard drive or something. The Dell 5K display is $2200, $500 more than I paid for my 5K iMac.

>OS X
>superior

Dell's monitor is actually $1300 or something now.
Also the 1TB "Fusion drives" have a 24GB cache. The 2TB+ drives have 128GB.
People on Sup Forums tend to have no opinions of their own.

Way too old for me, user.

Because I'm not a normie woman or gay guy

if it's crawling it's already in the right position xd

You're not even using UNIX if you're using OS X.

OS X is using UNIX. You're just using a bright colorful interface made for toddlers.

Dell's site shows the 5K monitor is $2200
accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=up275k3

The version I bought has a 128GB of flash, it's a late 2014 model. The newer models have reduced it to 24GB which I agree is bullshit.

That's too young.

>You're not even using UNIX if you're using OS X.
If you want to be pedantic it's the only consumer OS that is officially recognized Unix.

>You're just using a bright colorful interface made for toddlers.
We're not talking about Windows 10 though. How often do you talk about things you clearly have no understanding of? It's cringy as fuck.

Dell doesn't know how to run a retail outlet/Dell overcharges on their site because they know businesses are going to buy directly from them.
amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-UP2715K-27-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00OKSFXZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463280581&sr=8-1&keywords=dell 5k

>OS X

Does OS X even support FreeSync or G-Sync?

>dell monitor stuff
That makes a lot more sense, I was wondering how the fuck I could buy an iMac with the same panel for less with all of the other components included.

Still feel like the value of my purchase was pretty good though. Wish the new iMacs had HDMI 2.0 or the new DisplayPort so it could be used as a monitor as well.

Why would it support a feature that's basically only good for video games?

5k Dell with a nice, silent computer is probably a better value, but then you'd have to deal with hackintoshing.
This is the best computer I've ever used though.

i've seen the 5k iMac and it's nice, but if you want a high density screen you can get it working really easily with a hackintosh. i have a few and it's a really nice way to add to my laptop's workspace without having to plug several things into the laptop at my desk (or burden it with driving multiple 4k monitors).

total cost with the pair of monitors was probably in the range of $1700, so whether it's worth it or not depends almost entirely on what you want to do; I *mostly* code, so these monitors are usually both in portrait orientation, which are really nice for viewing documentation, code, web pages, etc...

but i imagine that in the use case like pic related, i'd rather have a single larger monitor.

So that you could do things like browse the web without input lag or screen tearing..? I can also watch 24fps movies with frame doubling and have consistent frame pacing. I mean, if an OS doesn't properly support my hardware I really don't get why I'd install it.

Is it a better value though? I needed a new computer anyway and I won't lie, the 5120x2880 resolution sold me.

I don't think I could have built a better computer for the $250 or whatever the difference in components was with the amazon dell monitor..

I like that setup, I really just wanted something simple and the configuration I got was a decent value I felt. I had never used OSX before buying a Macbook Air in 2014 after my chinkpad died. I was surprised by how much I liked it and thought that I'd try the iMac and I'm happy with it so far.

>So that you could do things like browse the web without input lag or screen tearing..?
I already do that. I am not going to notice a 1/60th of a second latency between me doing something and it showing up on the screen either.

>I can also watch 24fps movies with frame doubling and have consistent frame pacing.
That would have been useful 5 years ago, but now we have enough processing power to do things like interpolation which only removes judder.
The quality loss isn't perceivable, so it's objectively inferior, but it's not like you were going to get something like a 5k monitor that has variable refresh anytime soon anyway.

>I mean, if an OS doesn't properly support my hardware I really don't get why I'd install it.
Good question. Clearly it isn't for you, though the 5k iMac's panel supports freesync, so maybe there will be support in the near future.

>I already do that.
lol, do you use smooth scrolling too?
>That would have been useful 5 years ago, but now we have enough processing power to do things like interpolation which only removes judder.
Yeah, or you could just buy a nice monitor and not have to ruin your experience with interpolation.
>The quality loss isn't perceivable, so it's objectively inferior
lol
>but it's not like you were going to get something like a 5k monitor that has variable refresh anytime soon anyway.
Exactly, 4k with variable refresh rate is the way to go. There's just too much content that's either 1080 or 4k and I'm not a fan of scaling and interpolation.

yeah, i was the same way with my rMBP - had a T510 for a while, it got a little fucked up while traveling in south america, so when i got back to the US i decided to give the rMBP a try and realized it was relatively pleasant to work with once you got past the minor keyboard shortcut differences (took me about 2 weeks, and I've generally relied heavily on muscle memory, so i expected it to be difficult to re-train).

if you want to make the computers work together a little more, you might want to try Teleport. it's a really nice way to make your computers act like extended desktops, so i can use my laptop's keyboard and mouse to control my desktop screens as though they were just extended displays. it should work with an iMac+MBA setup (i mean, that's basically what teleport thinks my hackintosh is).

>lol, do you use smooth scrolling too?
OS X has pixel perfect scrolling, so there's no way to avoid it. It's like asking if you use "smooth movement" for your cursor.
Then again I've never really used a mouse with OS X, so I'm not sure if there's an option to turn it on or off when you have a wheel.

>Yeah, or you could just buy a nice monitor and not have to ruin your experience with interpolation.
I have a nicer monitor than you do, I assure you.

>lol
4:2:2 subsampling is objectively inferior to 4:4:4, yet you'll have a hard time noticing a difference while the video is actually in motion.
MP3 is objectively inferior to FLAC, but provided you have an MP3 that was sourced and converted properly you will never tell a difference.

>Exactly, 4k with variable refresh rate is the way to go. There's just too much content that's either 1080 or 4k and I'm not a fan of scaling and interpolation.
Wouldn't you be better off getting a TV that allows you to disable it's "picture enhancement" functionality via the debug menu?

Hell, you can use synergy to do this between operating systems.

>What's your reason for not installing a superior Unix OS on your desktop instead of running shitnix or wangblows?

Report and sage.

What rule is this post breaking, might I ask?

>what rule am i breaking by posting toys on Sup Forums?

Yeah, but Synergy seems to suffer from 2 pretty significant shortcomings that make teleport preferable if you're just using OS X machines:

1) synergy seems to insist on a host-client relationship (whereas teleport lets you use either mouse+keyboard on either machine, which is nice if you have a mechanical keyboard that you want to use to control your laptop 80% of the time, but you want to quickly write something from your laptop's keyboard and then pack up and head out the other 20% of the time (this is surprisingly common for me)).

2) teleport supports some things like gestures and the function key (which i use a lot with BetterSnapTool). i don't know whether synergy supports the function key (may vague memory is that it doesn't), but it definitely didn't support trackpad gestures the last time i checked.

but yeah, synergy is a good (albeit the only) option if you have/want to run different operating systems.

Neat. I'll keep that application in mind.

By installing osx on your desktop machine you wont have that problem.

As long as the hardware is compatible, no problems.

your screenshot doesn't reference toys, does it? i kind of just glanced but it looks like the generic high level "hey, if you're going to be an autistic faggot, go do it in Sup Forums" rules.

>>>/global/rules/7
:^)

Announcing reports and sages are against the rules.

Hahahahahaha you dimwit obviously didn't check hardware comparability.

Good job. Hope you have a windows install stick around

I hope it makes you mad. :^)

nobody ever said "any hackintosh you ever make will work perfectly". you need strict hardware requirements for that, but it's worth it.

>but it's worth it
Speak for yourself, changing your hardware configuration just to suite an OS, not worth it. We should be well beyond this platform specific nonsense by now.

>changing your hardware configuration

And if you don't need to do this?

The sad thing about Linux DEs (well Gnome more specifically) is that they could be really good if they listened to what their users want.

I would, I want to so bad but can't find any guides for my shitty asus laptop :(

You will eventually apparently, my hardware is listed as supported but only for older versions.
>just don't upgrade
Oh boy.

No other OS I've used has had this issue on any version.

OSX isn't made for anything other than the hardware configurations they sell. It's dumb to complain about it because it doesn't support your configuration. It's not like they're promoting it as an OS for any platform.

if XP is good enough for NASA its good enough for me

>thread is asking why you don't do it
>people drivers aren't an issue
>give my reason for why I don't do it which is drivers
>user please don't complain
Hey man fuck you.