What filesystem do you use?

What filesystem do you use?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_deduplication
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Should edit it to say number of wives killed

ext4

ext4, moving to zfs considering it's wicked easy to work with multiple drives, add caches, etc

f2fs

What does the department of defence use?

Hans Reiser did nothing wrong

Ntfs lol

JFS

ext4

north korea, pl0x

probably xfs, since its the default on rhel and btrfs is in early stages

Tip top kek

You wouldn't kill your wife if you had to wait 20 secs everytime you wanted to mount a filesystem?

I remember when tailpacking was all the rage in my ideal world. It's too bad Reiser isn't so comparable now, unless there is some development I've missed.

Ntfs because Windows is shit

EXT4 within a LVM with dm-crypt

Why don't you switch to FreeBSD and glorious ZFS?

ext4

>using MurderFS
Is there anyone doing this anymore?

What a bunch of idiots

xfs for media/pictures
ext4 for OS
ntfs for gaming windows, would probably use something else if i had more options.

I do. It's reliable enough and fast.

HFS+, which is old and is shit in its own right, but at least it isn't NTFS which has probably the greatest number of irritating quirks of all the current popular boot drive filesystems.

Been meaning to set up a FreeNAS box for bulk data storage and important file backups for a while now but just haven't gotten around to it. I wish more cheap tiny FreeNAS-compatible motherboards supported ECC.

Btrfs

ntfs

Me too. BTRFS has been working great for me. I love the deduplication feature as I use a lot of VMs.

NTFS

What is this deduplication?

>one person
>bunch of idiots

What a retard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_deduplication

NTFS and ReFS.

I guess the drive attached to my router is ext3.

Basically what it boils down to is that it saves tremendous amounts of storage when you have a lot of similar blocks of data. In my case, I run about 8-10 VM's in a lab environment, but it only uses up the space of 2 of those VMs because the majority of the data on each VM is the same (the operating system files).

Ntfs

EXT4 however when I first made my file server I went with XFS on the storage drives because I didn't know how to make root not reserve 5% of a 2TB drive with EXT4

Does btrfs have high ram requirements like ZFS?

I don't think its anything exceptional. My machine idles at around 700MB of memory usage. I've never used ZFS so I can't compared. I run Linux and have heard that ZFS is buggy as hell on Linux and that it probably always will be because of a legal issue with licensing.

ntfs and ext3

ext4, FAT32

That's very impressive

I'll look into it

About to get a new computer soon so might format it with that

same

ntfs, ext* (whatever's default in Debian), and zfs

>be linux developer
>invest thousands of hours working on a new file system
>a few years later your work becomes a meme because the lead developer killed his wife
life is suffering

Btrfs.
Shit is great. Snapshots, filesystem compression, deduplication, filesystem RAID (no mdadm shit) and all that.

It takes a significant amount of autism to run a filesystem that doesn't ship with your distribution.

Ubuntu only just started doing so, and proper to that, the entire user based consisted of said autists.

ZFS.

What do you mean? When I install my OS I have to create a file system anyways, it is literally no more work to type mkfs.btrfs /dev/sda1 compared to mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1.

Btrfs ("Better FS")

Is TagFS a real filesystem?
Does anyone use it?

NTFS on Windows
Btrfs on systemd/Linux

I have heard ext4 is the best file system, others like reiser are good for lots of small files but are slower the larger the files get.

/thread

btrfs

Ceph.

Get out of this thread mouthbreathers.

It's passive / on-demand dedup. You have to do it by, say, running a cronjob to search for and deduplicate blocks inside a directory.

No, because it's not in-band dedup (yet). ZFS dedup's high memory requirements (~16 GiB) come from the fact that it basically has to contain a big lookup tree mapping block contents to their location on the filesystem.

But you could also turn off in-band deduplication in zfs and get pretty much the same result as with btrfs.

In general, there are only few reasons to prefer btrfs over zfs, and “dynamic raid” is one of them. (And is also why I use it personally)

>It takes a significant amount of autism to run a filesystem that doesn't ship with your distribution.
What distribution doesn't ship with ZFS? It must be exceptionally shitty.

According to the benchmarks reiser has never been as good as ext4, ext4 whoops it in almost all the tests.

I think mine is windows but i don't know what a filesystem is

ext0

Is ZFS good on the desktop? What about for a home file server?

give me one good reason to use btrfs over ext4

There's no "best" filesystem, there's only one that's best for your particular use-case.

You know, it never occurred to me until now that ZFS becoming the the new universally supported filesystem (at least for *nix).
It works on all kinds of linux distros, bsd, illumos, even os x.
Every OS except windows works with zfs.

Only one? Damn, it's hard to narrow it down, there are so many benefits..

- compression support
- deduplication support
- snapshot support
- subvolumes
- integrated RAID and JBOD, which is extremely flexible (running out of space on one disk? add another disk to that volume, while it's online/mounted, and the new space is immediately available to use)
the only reason to consider ext4 over btrfs is that ext4 is more mature

Hfs+

Also reflinking, file checksumming (prevents bit rot), dynamic RAID (freely stripe and duplicate blocks across available drives), quota support, transmitting subvolumes across the network, union / seed mounting, etc.

I have 4 1tb seagate hdd
im thinking doing raid 10 but my friend tells me to raid 6 instead
What is the best raid config in a 4 disc?

HFS+

XFS on /
ext2 on /boot

NTFS

ReFS default in Windows when?

>tfw fell for the btrfs meme

Just stay with ext4 people. It's not ready yet.

Going to agree the issues I had still haunt me

What's your workload? Why do you want RAID in the first place?

Why was this chart made with Excel 2000?

it had so much potential. i want zfs on openbsd

Filename/path limits

What difference does it make.

XFS and btrfs.