Does anyone here actually buy components from brick and mortar shops...

Does anyone here actually buy components from brick and mortar shops? Is it objectively better or is it just for privacy reasons?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369
microcenter.com/product/434176/Core_i7-4790K_40GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor
cnet.com/news/us-to-push-for-mandatory-car-to-car-wireless-communications/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

thats how i met my gf

Microcenter is objectively cheaper than Newegg.

We have a local electronics store here that is typically cheaper than digi-key/mouser when shipping is factored in. I don't know why anyone wouldn't use b&m for that kind of thing, shipping is retarded on a bag of 10 milligram parts.

It's good for a number of reasons
1)You get your parts immediately
2)You know your parts aren't going to get damaged in shipping
3)Privacy
4)No shipping cost
etc

This and I live two blocks from one

I live 5 blocks from anything one would need to build pretty much any consumer system, and yet I still pay more and wait longer to instead ship stuff to me. Fuck going outside.

For a company that directly competes with Newegg, yes it's objectively better.

Being able to return parts immediately in case something went wrong in exchange for replacement/money back puts my mind at ease compared to waiting for RMAs to get through, and that's for many online stores.

>privacy
>uses credit to pay

The NSA intercepts your mail and implants keyloggers and backdoors
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/

Always buy anonymously with cash

Yes, because someone who cares about privacy is going to pay with credit, of fucking course.

Yep, I just call beforehand to know if they have what do I need and price match amazon or Newegg during checkout. No need to wait 2-3 days but will require some time to get to the store and back

>pay with cash
>cameras in store photo-id face and weigh you on higher-alert than others in the system
>backdoored car already sending GPS pings as you drive off
>if non-modern car, license plate is enough anyway
>if taking transit, you're probably too poor for anyone to care about in the first place

Wear a fake mustache, glasses and a wig

>tfw all I have is a fucking best buy in my area

Yeah, and return to your secret bungalow in the sewers, which you afford with your anonymous job, right? Cash alone simply isn't enough to protect the consumer.

>Does anyone here actually buy components from brick and mortar shops?
I'm sure someone does, but I never have.

>Is it objectively better
Of course not, I don't know how anyone could possibly be retarded enough to think so.

>is it just for privacy reasons?
I'm sure some people are retarded enough to think it somehow protects their privacy, but they are both wrong and retarded.

Fuck no, l buy all my almost all my stuff on NewEgg cause 1. they cheaper. 2. They've never done me wrong. 3. Shipping has always been excellent. Only things I buy at shops is small shit like blank media/usb flash drives/mice & keyboards. Most time people complain that "blah blah part didn't work, either installed it wrong or they fried it from static electricity cause they didn't ground themselves properly. Or they dropped the damn thing and expect it to work afterwords.

>anonymous job
Sure, you could work in the dark net and get paid with BTC

see

Feels so good

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369
microcenter.com/product/434176/Core_i7-4790K_40GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

Been this way since the 2500k days

>cameras in store photo-id face and weigh you on higher-alert than others in the system
A store's CCTV isn't IDing anyone through facial recognition software, I assume that's what you mean with your strange use of "photo-id face." It only ever gets looked at if an incident occurs.

>backdoored car already sending GPS pings as you drive off
>GPS pings
What the fuck are "GPS pings" supposed to be?
Do you know what ping is? Do you know that GPS is passively received?

>if non-modern car, license plate is enough anyway
No it isn't...

In my country you can get cheap chinese components on the internet as well but the shipping prices are huge and the government mail is generally unsafe (stolen, lost or broken components are the norm).

So I look up prices on the internet, get their address and visit their brick & mortar shop, which is always a shady looking place downtown, sometimes a common apartment or a house turned into a store.

One time I had to knock on a suspicious looking door and the guy on the intercom asked me my business and what was my user name, I guess many people try to mug them or maybe they're on the spotlight for tax evasion, idk.

I bought my wife's son two Nvidia branded GTX 970s from bestbuy if that counts as a brick and mortar

>gets identified while buying disguise, tagged for closer surveillance.

>buying a proprietary disguise
>not building your own open source solution
>>>/m$/

Nope.

>Nearest Microcenter is literally like a 4-5 hour drive.
>Local PC stores overcharge on every single thing (Used to work in one before getting a better job). One example: was shopping around for a 4790k last year and most places online at the time had it for $300. Wanted to get it sooner and the local shop wanted close to $380 for it before tax.
>Best Buy and Office Depot have shit selection and prices.

Only thing I might buy locally is printers if there is a decent sale and maybe HDDs. Typically I order from Newegg, Amazon, or Ebay for used stuff (got a Sandy Bridge i5 Laptop for like $130 on Ebay, works great for what I need it for).

>What the fuck are "GPS pings" supposed to be?
If it's GPS capable, it's 3G capable, and with proprietary OS who even knows what's going on. Telemetry data from modern cars is known to be tracked and siphoned off, and of course that data undoubtedly ends up being "telemetry".
Snow den said even home-phone receivers are backdoored. You can't trust anything. If your CPU is post-2009, it can access networking, memory, and data drives at a higher privilege than the user, all on a hardware level. Enjoy technology as a consumer - it's no longer developed for your benefit.

>If it's GPS capable, it's 3G capable
But that's wrong.

The EU and the USA are currently pushing to make backdoored cars with wireless Internet connections mandatory
cnet.com/news/us-to-push-for-mandatory-car-to-car-wireless-communications/

>wireless Internet connections
It's almost like you didn't even read your own source.

No major car manufactures deny remote collection of telemetry data. What they'd probably deny is who they're sharing or forced to share that data with.

I would but I haven't left the house in years.

Source of income?

>Closest Microcenter is 28 miles away
>Have to burn 1.5 gallons of gas and 1.66 hours round trip
JUST

I haven't been to a computer store in almost a decade now. Its rare I'll need anything so bad I'll be willing to pay the brick and mortar premium.

screencapped for r/Sup Forums bro! you got le cucked xD