There are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who use Linux and act smug about it...

There are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who use Linux and act smug about it, but have never written a single shell script

I don't use Linux and act smug about it.

>There are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who use Linux

>There are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who use Windows and act smug about it, but have never written a single powershell script

>there are people on Sup Forums that need to write complete scripts instead of one-liners

You're doing unix wrong.

a single for loop broken by semicolons is still a script

>>there are people on Sup Forums that need to constantly write one-liners instead of scripts

Why don't you just use Windows since you love doing everything manually?

Can't blame them. Sh is a terrible language.

You can script linux in python. You can even write sysV-compatible init scripts in python. There's no reason to use sh anymore now that we have real languages like python and perl.

>muh POSIX
irrelevant, there are only four major unices left and they all have python2 and perl 4.

When I say one-liner, I'm excluding semi colons, and logical operators || and &&

>being unable to do complex operations in a single line

Why don't you just use Windows if unix is too hard for you ?

Good thing I have written a single shell script. Now I can be all smug about using Linux.

What you're describing is a brutal affront to the way sh was designed. Go use perl.

I added screenfetch to my .bashrc I can be smug now :^)

i use stock ubuntu so i can ridicule wangblowz fags, who gives a fuck about that scripting nerdshit?

I think some of you are missing the point of this thread. It's not that sh is good or bad, or whether or not you should use it instead of python. It's just generally considered one of the simplest things one can do in Linux, yet there's people on Sup Forums - Technology who can't even do that.

>mfw i have written not one but two shell scripts

>using the smiley with a carat nose

>Not avoiding sh on purpose

I wrote a script to alert me when certain words are posted on Sup Forums and other boards. Sort of like an rss feed from scratch

You should write one that beeps whenever it encounters "pajeet" or "rajeesh"

Just for laffs

I don't need to write scripts when I can just knick the ones that people have already made.

>There's no reason to use sh anymore now that we have real languages like python and perl.
>now
like it hasn't been there for a decade

>writing shell scripts when python exists

Yesterday I've changed panel opacity in Gnome Shell script. Your statement is invalid.

>tfw writing shell scripts to automate all of my animu downloading and sorting

There are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who give a fuck about other's choces and act smug about it, but they don't kill themselves already

B-But muh game, muh game mothafuka

I still don't get what is a shell and I've been using linux to lean C, python and Haskell for 2 years.

Am I missing something?

>what is a shell
The command interpreter that you use in a terminal.
You're more than likely using Bash.

It depends on what you're doing. For small stuff, shell is far more suitable. When your script though gets to 1k lines, it will have been better to use Python or Perl.

what most people here use scripts for

Linux is about freedom, not about smugness.
The smugness comes with the freedom.

Ah I have been using it without knowing then, why linux has so many words chill out buddy wew

There are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who start threads about those who use Linux and act smug about it, but have never written a single shell script

Only wrote it to rename 1.jpg 2.jpg ....jpg into 001.jpg 002.jpg ....jpg since feh is too dumb to know how to count